[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Like a normal battleship, but the size of a cruiser or possibly even smaller.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

So... a cruiser then? ;P
  3. igncom1

;)

Maybe I was thinking of an actual battle-cruiser.

In any case, nice model Mike.
  4. baryon

baryon Active Member

Like all of your models it looks awesome.
    However there are two things which somehow aren't perfect.

First: As igncom1 already mentioned it looks too small for a battleship (which is the flagship of the fleet and therefore pretty large). This is imho because the ship looks to short.
    I tried to measure the aspect ratio of your ship and the USS Iowa (triangle on the monitor :D ):
    USS Iowa 2:12
    Your Bismark 3:12
    Means your ship is 50% wider than the Iowa. If you for example add a second, smaller bridge/tower behind the first one, the ship and become a little longer and therefore aspect ratio "improves".

Second: I'm somehow missing secondary armament, for example two AA-Guns left and right to the bridge.
  5. igncom1

Now now, I didn't say it looked too small (If anything that better for gameplay reasons) I just commented that it looked a little stumpy (Again, not that that is bad in any way, turning circles will thank him for not including excess ship)

They were never particularly worth anything in SC, in the face of the cruisers missile AA the battleships AA looked like a pop gun, and was unsuited to the battleships teir (Those AA guns are unsuited for AA against T3 Air).

But if they were, then you would only ever need to build battleships.

Id rather have a battleship without the poor AA and make it cheaper then to keep them and make the ship more expensive.

(And I am not even sure about the battleships armed with torpedoes either, but Tac defense and torpedo defense is good.)
  6. baryon

baryon Active Member

Sorry, then i misinterpreted you.

Somehow disagree on the most statements, but this is the wrong thread to discuss this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Frankly, I don't really see this as valid, maybe if I was making an Iowa or the unit was a re-equiped Iwoa or something, but fact is we're talking about Robot vehicles in the magical future, just removing the crew-element frees up a lot of space and allows for new configurations that might not be practical with a crew, never mind al the other tech benefits of the future......Also being more "fast and loose" with hull shape naturally allows for more shapes, which leads to units being more easily recognized, for example I want to do a twin hull design at some point, maybe for a carrier at some point.

I could just elongate the current model, but frankly I don't feel it'd add anything to the model, considering it would add "empty" space it could even start looking kinda plain.

I was going to do a couple of AA guns, but I figured with the way Tiers are looking to be set-up in PA I figured a mode focused design would be more appropriate.

Mike
  8. thorneel

thorneel Member

It does look 'smaller', in the sense of being less elongated, it has a form that we associate more with small ships than large ones. I was going to argue that it would look better, more impressive if longer, but in fact with the stylized aesthetics of PA, it may actually be good like it is.
    Anyway, it does look quite good IMHO, but I'm not a fan of the rear for some reason. The rear turret feels too close to the bridge, and the shape of the rear feels like it's not quite the same ship, as if it was from an industrial ship. But I like everything in front of the bridge quite a lot.

On a side note, I wonder if the name would stir controversy, but I'd guess not, fortunately.
  9. KNight

We didn't have any problems with it in BlackOps! xD

Also I got up really early this morning for some reason so I've been working on Gunship.

Mike
  10. igncom1

Gotta give credit where it is due, and the Bismarck was one bad *** battleship.
  11. KNight

Also that is kinda a homage to the Salem, the Cybran T2 Destroyer.
  12. KNight

As I said, I got very early this morning, so I made a Gunship;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You all know what to do by now right?

Mike
    carlorizzante and MrTBSC like this.
  13. celludriel

celludriel New Member

Create a thread on the planetside 2 forums telling everyone air is OP ?
  14. KNight

Air isn't OP, land based AA is UP! xD
  15. celludriel

celludriel New Member

lol ... k lets not go there , I'm sorry I even brought it up :p
  16. leewatson

leewatson New Member

Neither is OP they both do there jobs well ;)
  17. elexis

elexis Member

Then why does AA get buffs in every patch?

Also nice gunship.
  18. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Looks good but the mechanically scanned radar a top the mast throws it off for me.

Something more like this would be more appropriate IMO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Phased_Array_Radar
  19. KNight

Just going off the Radar from the Visualization. The point isn't too be Accurate to Modern Day equivalents.

Mike
  20. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Sure. I get the visual appeal of having a spinning widget. ;)