[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Thanks man, that really means a lot to me seeing as it was SupCom that really got me into modding, and it was at the Game Design Expo in 07 that you guys got me hooked on SupCom with that Oh So Glorious Trailer on a Big Theater Screen, Seriously, In-Game Trailers/intros are so awesome, I can't imagine why more games don't do them.

So again, Thanks.

Mike
    Last edited: September 18, 2012
  2. gleming

gleming New Member

Agreed
  3. KNight

Whups missed this, sorry Pawz! xD

I think The look of PA is mainly in the textures, they minimalist with enough texturing and highlighting on the edges to define the shape without additional texture detailing, this means you could in theory(something I want to test out in XSI) make some shaders that could create this dynamically and then just bake it to the UVs. But that being said the Minimalist theme also carries over into the mesh as well, I think I might be over doing it a tad to be honest. And SupCom's would end up being a bit too cluttered, so far as we've seen there are only 3 colors on a unit, the TC, Black and Dark Grey, so you have to be careful with the detailing to make sure you don't get a lot of overlapping parts in the same color.

But I could see doing a similar thing to what I'm doing with my BlackOps units, just recreating them with the PA style in mind.

Thanks.

Mike
  4. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

I still use that trailer anytime someone asks me what SupCom is.
  5. KNight

Some more progress on the Rapier;

[​IMG]
    Still WIP

Not as much progress as I'd like, but what can you do eh? Let me know what you guys think?

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  6. sturm532

sturm532 Member

Are its arms weapons too or are are they for balance/show?

Cheers have a brewski...............
  7. newari

newari New Member

Is it wrong to think that those short blocky arms look cute?
  8. thapear

thapear Member

It's a cute robot of death.
  9. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

No, no it isn't
  10. KNight

They remind me of a T-Rex's little flailing arms xD Bu they don have guns in them, so only laugh behind it's back! ;p

I worked on the legs some today, but couldn't get a pic uploaded before work, hopefully by the time I get home I'll have the first pass done on the legs to show off.

But that leads to a question, which of my Units(See List here) would you guys like to see revamped next? Experimental don't count btw ;p

Mike
  11. gleming

gleming New Member

UEF T2 Rapid Fire Howitzer - Hellstorm

Either that or the T3 UEF AA but its ultimately your choice.
  12. KNight

Oh right I forgot about the Cougar! That should be interesting, I should have the updated Rapier up soon.

Mike
  13. lthawkeye

lthawkeye New Member

knight has basically decided to get a head start on our PA project ;p

we have yet to decide a name yet, but rest assured, we will be working to mod the crap outta this game :D
  14. KNight

And here we go;

[​IMG]
    Still WIP

Tweaked the proportions a bit, messed with the Arm cannons a bit, new Legs obviously, I still need to work on the Lower Torso and the Connection between the top/bottom Torsos.

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  15. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

I like the general design (looks similar to a Protos Immortal) But I think the proportions are still visually dissonant... the legs are too thin and pointy for the massive torso, the top mounted weapons too short for the overall size... but just my two pennies worth.

Edit: Maybe the top mounted weapons are not too small actually... could you make a screen shot from a different angle?
  16. KNight

[​IMG]

I think your underestimating the legs a bit, they aren't huge, but I wouldn't say they're under-sized either.

The Original unit was designed to be a medium range mobile artillery unit, the Regualr T3 Mobile Arty was still superior in several way, but it acted as a good support unit to mix in with the regular T3 units and was effective vs units in formation due to it's Napalm shells.

Obviously it might not have the same role in PA, as we have no idea what kind of units ther will be yet, this is mostly a good way for me to practice the PA Aesthetic and gives me a chance to revamp some of the elements I wasn't/became not to fond of since originally creating the, the Original Rapier's Legs in Particular were kinda cool in static poses, but in motion they lots a good deal of their charm, the Legs I design here are not much like the original, but allow for better/more realistic movement.

I'm also entertaining the idea if slimming down the torso a touch, thought I must say it has a certain charm as it is now.

Mike
  17. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Yeah, it was due to the perspective. On this screenshot I can see the legs are actual pretty massive. As it is an artillery bot, I think that fits well. Concerning the guns on the top: I think they would look cooler if they were larger. I mean, the cannon is a artillery piece’s visual focus. On this guy the guns - for me at least - don't look like the part that matters the most...on the other hand, if you made tem larger the model as a whole might look too top-heavy.
  18. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

On a slightly related note, at what point are silly 4-legged insectoid-style robots going to stop appearing as combat platforms? :D

The physics involved in moving that machine would probably make it fall apart. Here's your chance to fix that once and for all! :)
  19. SwiftBlizz

SwiftBlizz Member

And on what premise do you judge that?? Do you have phds in materials science and structural nanomechanics from the future? :p
  20. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

People, you are too hasty, Uber Entertainment still working on engine for PA... But modding ideas... Let's go directly in for Dyson Rings :p
    [​IMG]
    Model by my brother (took 30 minutes), texture by me (took 4 hours -_-). We are working in duo, he makes models, I make textures.

In addition for holywar between 3D Editors, my little brother says 3DS MAX most proficient editor for making models, at first it's hard, but when you get used to it and it's tools, you understand that 3DS MAX with plugins and tools is irreplaceable. Like Photoshop for me, with it I can easily create very complex texture from zero - still it takes a lot of time, mostly polishing texture to make it perfect -_-