[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well it is my opinion that a good grounding in realism and feasibility is/can be an important factor when designing something, or at least it's something I always keep in mind when working on my stuff.

Well the point is that it was supposed to be a recreation of the Commander seen in the Pre-Viz, Otherwise I'm keeping my commander ideas to myself for now, I don't want to give them all away before I make my Custom Commander.

Well the tools won't easily transfer over, but eh basic Idea of creating something 3D ina 3D space is still there, so you should be able to easily transfer your stills once you learn the tools I'd imagine, it's kinda funny cause I'll be going through the opposite transition at some point! xD

That would be the Storage Tank, right not it's just a stand in I stuck there while working on the front(which was pretty iconic in FA) and I've fixed the Link to as well. xD

The Low profile is all the better to not get shot.....then explode because of the giant fuel tank! xD

Mike
  2. cosmoray

cosmoray New Member

@jojopuppe I love that animation, best fan art yet imho. As a fellow C4D user (and non-character animator) I'm very curious about your scene file. Think I could have a look?
  3. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Realism is good, I guess I meant it along the lines of modeling is 3D drawing () and Parametric CAD/CAM is like virtual clay sculpting. Though in later stages they may approach the same thing or processes.

I'd get into modeling more if my brain was wired for that type of creativity, I wouldn't be able to think of what to make, but give me a problem, and I'll give you 5 ways to fix it.

Random question, in CAD/CAM you can make parts as your base files and assemble them into your thing, like I have a bunch of bits, together they're a robot. Is the same thing done in modeling, or does it take a more whole-object approach to the final product?
  4. comham

comham Active Member

Good man. Derek Meddings (mechanical/vehicle designer for Thunderbirds, the amazing 60s kids show), Ralph McQuarrie (Most of the original Star Wars vehicle designs) and Viktor Antonov (Half Life 2 and Dishonoured environment design) all had the same philosophy and they all turned out legendary designs. I'll keep an eye out for your mods in future.

Try just combining things. "What would WW2 walkers look like?" gave us DUST: Tactics, which looks pretty neat.
  5. KNight

Thanks, but you don't quite have to wait, you an either just down load the mod and give it a go or try clicking on the icons in that post, a goodly portion of them have fancy pictures linked by them, thought some might be a bit out of date.

Well it depends on the kind of creation you do, Creating something akin to a new faction or something IS tough, there is a lot more to consider than many realize to achieve something good and original. But a lot of the work I did on BlackOps was more so expanding on what was already there, I'd figure out what role I'd want the unit to fill, then figure out how you could go about filling that role in terms of weaponry, movement and other such things, but there it's about making sure it conforms to the factions style visually.

Mike
  6. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

MUST HAVE LEGO MONKEYLORD!!!
  7. KNight

Trolololol;
    [​IMG]

Mike
  8. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

So cruel T_T
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is awesome!
  10. KNight

I'm also working a Megalith build to the same scale;
    [​IMG]

But enough about that, this is supposed to be about my PA FanArt xD

Mike
    carlorizzante and MrTBSC like this.
  11. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Legos are art! and engineering! and everything!
  12. RCIX

RCIX Member

Re: Hey Guys, I made the first PA FanArt!

I believe his definition of a commander will be something like this:

[​IMG]

MONKEYLORd LEGO SET WHERE
  13. KNight

Re: Hey Guys, I made the first PA FanArt!

Please, nothing so simple as that! ;p

Mike
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

A Brick made of bricks!
  15. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Sure would like a 3DS Max file of that PA commander model you made. Awesome work, as always :D
  16. KNight

Not gonna happen.

Mike
  17. KNight

Derp, Been Busy, just got in my new ThinkPad so I've been setting it up, but now I'm not chained to my desktop anymore!

So here is the finished model for the Inferno;

[​IMG]

And just for kicks, here's a side by side comparison of the FA and PA versions;

[​IMG]
    The scale is a little off, but all the key elements should be visible.

EDIT:

I also decided to block out a PA styled Rapier Artillery Support Bot before getting to bed, still more to do of course but pretty tired! xD

[​IMG]
    Original FA Version on the Left, WIP PA Style on the Right.

Let me know what you guys think!

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  18. gomgom50

gomgom50 New Member

New one looks great! Needs feet though, but im shure thats just cause its a WIP
  19. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Looks pretty cool. I wonder if you can keep the same overall style of PA, but include the detail of the Supcom models.

I mean, what happens if you just take a supcom model and retexture it to remove the 'realistic' textures and replace them with stylized ones.
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Love this thread.
    MrTBSC likes this.