[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Saving that for a special project! ;p

Mike
  2. KNight

So earlier today I printed off a 3rd Ant which turned out about 90-95% alright and I'm just in the middle of cleaning up a Dox done to the same scale as the Ant and at this point I think I need to start doing my own supports in 3D instead of relying on MakerWare's because constantly tweaking settings and mostly hoping for the best is rapidly losing it' appeal! xD

No pictures yet but tonight when I get home I'll get on that.

Mike
    emraldis likes this.
  3. KNight

Alright Picture time!

[​IMG]

3rd Ant was a decent step up from the second one, still having issues with supports so next I'm gonna try experimenting with designing my own supports in XSI instead of hoping the MakerWare slicer puts it where it needs it. Like I said above, aside from the obvious support issue on the barrel it printed out really well and I'm fairly happy with it, I will revisit it if my Support Experiments work out.

But I also printed a Dox! To scale! Actually it turned out really nice, printed it out as 8 separate parts(next time I print it I'll take a pic before I clean it up) and while the fit on the separate parts was tight it wasn't anything a bit of sanding couldn't fix! Overall I'd say it's only about 80% good(the legs in particular were awkward, need to look into doing that differently) and something weird happened to the chest area but nothing that I don't think can be resolved.

I kinda had the idea of doing a Factory(to scale of course) as a kind of "display" Base but It'll be awhile before I tackle that yet.

Mike
  4. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

You know what would be awesome? If you made a video of how you edit the model, put it into printing programme, clean it up and assemble it. That way we can see the process and fully appreciate the work behind it.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

That is really cool! I wonder if uber will let you sell these...

*gasp* is... is that a Canadian flag on your desk? Awesome! Canada FTW!
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Nice cheeky Rook hiding in the back there too. It's a crying shame what ended up happening to Demigod because the game itself is so awesome.
  7. KNight

Well you know how it is, Born, Raised and still living and Canada and all that.

My intention was never really one of selling, really anyone with a 3D Printer should be tech savvy enough to get the files if needed and there isn't any point in stepping on Uber's toes in this regard. I have plenty of my own models I plan to work on once I get things figured out and of course there's not telling what I'll come up with int he future! xD

Yup, <3 Rook

Mike
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Nice. Same here.

Since I don't have access to a 3d printer, can I order a PA unit made regardless?
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

People would have to be careful selling any models- at least without the express permission of Uber.

Now if it was done on a materials cost only basis it might be ok, as would be contacting a 3-D printing service yourself with a suitable model (as responsibility for the source of the model would be with you).
  10. KNight

Yeah see the thing is that I've never really been interested in the act of selling this kind of stuff, not to mention I still have a lot of refinement before I got these to the point of feeling they're of acceptable quality so that I can apply all that leaning to my own stuff down the line.

Mike
  11. KNight

Dox 2.0?

[​IMG]
    I printed off a second one to experiment with setting up my own supports for the printing process to give me far more control over it, not sure yet how well it worked, I'll clean up the parts tomorrow.

Mike
    lokiCML and corteks like this.
  12. jonathanstey

jonathanstey Member

damn, I wish I had a 3d printer :p
  13. KNight

So spending a bit of time tonight working on a Torpedo Bomber for the RCMB because it's kinda one of those few things we don't have anything existing to work from yet;

[​IMG]

Still suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper rough, I'm using the P-61 Black Widow as primary inspiration and I kinda realized something starting on this guy but I just really like the design of WWII era Aircrat design more often than not, it's around this time when the different components were still (usually) visually distinct and as an Artist that style lets me use the design to really communicate the "story" behind the plane in a way that a tooltip can't. This is probably why I really like stuff like the P-61 or the A-10 compared to something like the F-22 or whatever.

Mike
  14. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

I'm just getting started 3D printing and like seeing all the nice units you guys have made. This made me want to give a PA model a try. Currently I'm just using sketchup, but wanted to know everyone is able to print such accurate models. Is a way to extract models from the game into a cad program?
  15. KNight

I used Raevn's Importer/Exporter to get the files into blender and used .obj to get them into XSI, not sure what format would be best to go from blender to Sketchup thought.

Mike
  16. KNight

Spent some more time on my Torpedo Bomber;

[​IMG]

Mostly worked on the wings tonight, liking how it's turning out so far.

Mike
    FSN1977, brianpurkiss, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  17. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Liking the look of it so far. The front 'wedge' where the cockpit would be currently looks a bit heavy to me. Too long perhaps?
    I feel it looks a little too heavy at the moment, maybe it's the wingspan:depth ratio, definitely like the overall shape though and wing detail though.
  18. KNight

Well at this stage the fuselage is still the basic "blocking" shape, anything that goes in there won't be bigger than that but it can still easily be smaller! xD

Mike
  19. comham

comham Active Member

I think in general, when it comes to sci-fi, absolutely rip off WW2 whenever possible. Two well defined sides, evenly matched, all combat is within visual range, there's a really drastic progression of technology as the war goes on (eg prop planes to early jets), it's perfect.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That is pretty dang beefy.

The RBCM mod has a machinegun on it. So shouldn't it be more... machingun like than a massive cannon?