[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Hey guys.

I only heard about PA a few weeks ago. I started off being unbelievably stoked about the whole project. I loved TA, and still play SC:FA on a a regular basis. The latter of which (in my humble opinion) is still one of the best strategy games ever made, even with its flaws. After the bitter let-down I experienced with SC2, I had thought the scale of SC had been lost forever.

Unfortunately the more I've read about PA, the more I've become a little disappointed. A number of the features which I feel made FA as special as it was, are not in PA. For example I loved the variety of units four races (and four tech levels) brought, which I understand due to budget and time issues, wont be even close to matched in PA.

So imagine my joy to see one of the Black Ops team (which produced easily the best SC:FA mods available) already on board looking to create new content.

Thank you. Seriously. To everyone working on adding content, especially you Knight. I know number of units and variety isn't important to everyone, but for me, it makes a game.

Please keep up the good work.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well the game's basis is more toward TA then SC:FA.

But worry not as there are modders who are already poking around the game to see what they can change.
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

AHH!!! NO WAY!!!
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I actually just did a quick overview of these very topics so I'll just do a quote;

So it's far from doom and gloom and it also looks like we'll have a plethora of Commanders to play around with as well.

Well Exavier and Hawkeye are here as well, I've just been the louder one xD But don't get too excited, I don't see us focusing on a unit pack for PA like we did for FA, there are lots of elements that make Unit Packs somewhat awkward to do/maintain for what PA seems to be becoming. We'll likely do a basic one to kick everything off, and Ex naturally wants to mess around with Commanders again but Long term I think we might be focusing more of Total Conversions and more fundamental Gameplay stuff.

Mike
  5. KNight

So I've Optimized the Cougar, Cut it down from 1194 Tris down to 700.

[​IMG]

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  6. antillie

antillie Member

That looks pretty sweet. Could be a great counter to gunships. Russia had an actual tank like that to counter American Apache helicopters at one point. Unleash the chain gun tanks for great justice!
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I'll make a unit pack! So long as I can learn to model without my head exploding... :roll:
    To hell with it, I'm learning how to model, texture, script... Going to make the biggest (and most detailed) guide I possibly can.
  8. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I like your style! I for one will be reading that guide!
  9. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

This looks awesome man! Keep it up!

10. KNight

Alright, asthe Alpha shapes up I figure I'll try and get things rolling on my end a bit right? Well I decided today would be the day I mess around a bit with Textures, so enjoy these Temp (and inaccurate) Textures on the Cougar, these were mostly to see if the basic Pa scheme works with the model;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Textured look to the texture(confused yet? ;p) is only to help see the details of the model, because this is a nice render with 3-point lighting and terrain and such it's look horribly flat and the depth of the model wouldn't be apparent at all.

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  11. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

Damn that model needs some hard edging though. Apart from the texturing ( :p ) your work looks beautiful. Keep up the good work!
  12. KNight

There is literally nothing that's NOT hard edged thought. Especially since I Optimized the model and cut out over 400 Tris.

Mike
  13. KNight

More Optimization!

This time did the Rapier Artillery Bot, cut it down from 1910 to 1236 tris.

[​IMG]

Mike
    carlorizzante likes this.
  14. antillie

antillie Member

That thing makes me think of the HWR-00 Monster Mk II from Macross.

If I had the skills to do so I would sooo mod Macross mecha into PA.
  15. KNight

I dabbled in the idea for FA, but honestly the lawyers they got seem like they're pretty trigger happy.

Mike
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

"honestly the lawyers they got seem like they're pretty trigger happy."
    yeah, thx to efin harmony gold ...

As a mechwarrior/battletech and frontmission fan i´m not necessarily a fan of transformertype mechs but there are still some nice mechconceps in macross/robotech ..
  17. KNight

So things have been a little quite over here, recently Moved and did a Vacation and all that jazz, but I need to be getting back into the swing of things, I got a lot of backlog to deal with! xD

Not that things haven't gotten done mind you, just not by me! My good buddy Nanolathe has offered to have a go at some textures, which is greatly appreciated cause I sure as hell can't do 'em! xD So far we've been working on the Cougar, trying to figure out the style and such used by PA, here's what we got so far;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also just yesterday I got the Rapier all UV mapped and passed on to Nanolathe, might be a bit before we get to that one thought, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves in case the baseline style changes. I'm also working on the Optimization/Redesign of the Inferno as well, so hopefully things start picking up around here.

Mike
    Last edited: July 18, 2013
    stuart98 and MrTBSC like this.
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Looks pretty rockin' so far, I notice a lot of noise though. Is that because of a rapid AO pass?
  19. KNight

It's a straight Print screen from XSI, not a render of any kind.

Mike
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

No I mean the texture. Most textures have are darkened by a pre-rendered AO UV texture.

Then again Nanolathe would probably be the one to answer that question.