Dear Uber...

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by V4NT0M, October 22, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This game never would have "taken the world by storm" its a niche within a niche. It's not very fun to watch for the average person and never could be. The only reason Starcraft is as big as it is- is because of how fast paced it is. This game never has or wanted to be that fast paced.

And Uber aren't "firing" people, people are being layed off. And I'm not even sure about that, where is your source? We haven't been told of any layoffs in a long time.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

In my (and many people here's opinion) PA is excellent (or what ever other word you want to use for it). I view it as something so unique it could well spawn it's own sub genre in years to come.

It is however:
    1: Spawned from a very niche genre to begin with

2: A genre which has been divided for a long time- TA die hards don't rate sup com and dislike PA for being too similar to SupCom, who's fans dislike TA and dislike PA for being too 'TA like'. I don't care which why you slice it Uber were are stuck between two disparate groups of die hards with conflicting want's / expectations. I think they've done pretty wells to *stick to their vision* rather than make the game a *carbon copy of one of the predecessors* to please either set of vocal die-hards.

3: Some of the *greatest games of all time* (and widely acknowledged as such) were never massive mass market hits and may never have even been all that successful at their time of inception. Case in point #1: TA. Cavedog went bust, TA wasn't a massive money spinner that made all involved super rich, yet it's held by many to be a genre defining example of an excellent RTS.

It's not going to rival the AAA games for revenue, and I guess it doesn't tick all the boxes for everyone, but subjectively it's one of the best games I've ever played.
    Last edited: October 23, 2015
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Supcom fans don't dislike TA, they view SC as being a refinement of what made TA great and they dislike PA because of the simplicity (One faction with less units than any of the supcom factions).

TA sold one million copies and was quite successful, Cavedog went bankrupt because of the disaster of TAK and multiple other failed projects that they bled money on without getting anything released.
  4. cdrkf

True but by modern standards 1 million copies isn't really viewed as that successful. I mean I'm certain PA will have already surpassed that number of copies.
  5. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

2 first posts and you've talked about blowjobs and masturbations in a game forum, please...

Here in Spain we need a 5 out of 10 to pass, that's the goal and that's what I did most of the times. I was lazy but talented so I didn't spend a lot of time studying.

When I got my first job the laziness had to go cause I have no option but to spend 9 hours a day at the office and the only thing I do in my computer there is work related (they don't pay me and give me a pc to watch YouTube or Facebook).
    So now I'm really well consider at my job but wanna quit cause it is so easy that becomes boring. The last thing I think about when looking for a new job are my marks (they're not in my CV and nobody have ever asked me about).

Now "back" to the game. Life is not fair, good things not always triumph.
    See politics, most of the people who vote have almost no clue about the matter but they decide who wins.
    Or those movies for brain-dead kids with stupid unoriginal stories. Just make a funny looking speaking animal and spend a lot of money on advertisement a you have a hit.
    Or think about whatever you do in your job, imagine you do something really great and your coworker Bob solves the same problem in a really worse way. If you and Bob had a TV debate and Bob is better looking, talks better or spends more time prepearing his speech, most of the people would think his solution is better. Only experts in the field would realize that your work is better.

So saying that something is gonna triumph just because is the best of his kind is sadly untrue.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

From all we know I don't think PA has sold more than 1 million copies. Maybe it's around that, but I doubt it was surpassed by a lot.
    1 million copies sold isn't exactly bad I'd say.
    huangth, cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

PA is at ~800k steam owners.
  8. whisperr

whisperr Member

+1
  9. cdrkf

Well add the kickstarter pledges and sales from humble etc, then we're approaching a million :)

I'd say that's pretty good going for this type of rts.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

That´s true, BUT positive reviews by well known sites are going to fix this. The trolling rate on Gamestar, for example, was ways lower then in the times when PA was "officially" considered mediocre.

Uber should try to get a high level of attention for PA:T before they launch their next KS. And they should do another Kickstarter, they deserve the money needed for realizing awesome projects!
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

When I'm rich one day I'll donate half of my net worth to Uber.

And no, not the Taxi company.
    radongog likes this.
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I am going to remind you about this post in ten years time. :)
  13. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

This attitude is what separates the doer's from the talker's. The only thing that's guaranteed is that if you never try you will never succeed. Our mistakes are how we improve. ; )
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  14. proinegoproxy

proinegoproxy Member

Assuming he's rich by then ;)
  15. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

uber and its sub companies are probably worth 10 million or so i would say under bob
  16. ordinarypi

ordinarypi Member

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  17. cdrkf

That depends on how you value a company. Service businesses are notoriously difficult to value as the assets are ip, good will and people, they usually have relatively little in terms of equipment and premises.

They also may turn over lots of money, however turn over is meaningless to company value, profit is the key...
  18. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

As far as i know not a single one of the big gaming magazines or shows in my country even mentioned PA: Titans. I personally think thats really stupid because there are somany dutch or dutchspeaking players. I dont understand it at all. I do think this game is freaking awesome ofcourse but that goes without saying :)