Dat Air

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by elodea, May 25, 2015.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea, no thx ... i donĀ“t want the stinger ever again ... seing people run arrount with stingerswarms was an eyesore .. rather take a more decent dox aa over stingerspam any day ..
  2. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

you didnt have propper bobmers back then, and stats can be tweaked. tanks 1 shot them and doxes rip through them. The balance between bots and tanks is awefully lacking as there is much more incentive going tanks than bots (air not included) with the stinger getting back and the spinner removed you have a better balanced Unit layout as to which machine provides what roles. And vehicles have the best roster.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

bots have grenadiers (early artillery) and booms (commanders bane), dox are for speed and early amphibius raid ... also combatfabber (mines are quite fun ... and they can even swim!) ... this to me is enough incentive to go bots ... tanks are simply primary combattank, aa, closerange high dps flametank and scout ... pretty standard affair ... sooo not conviced

t2 bots: SNIPERS (that also can destroy tacmissiles) and MISSILElaunchers the latter useable against orbital something NONE of the tanks are able to do... ... and slammers are beasts and frogmen! ... amphibius tanks? nope!
    then there is the sadly underused t2 combatfabber who can built extra turrets (did i mention it can swim!)

t2 tanks: harder hitting tank with slow turn- and turretturnspeed, beeftank with splashcannon, rather standart artillery with splash ...

sooo i am not convinced to not use bots ...
  4. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

reduce air factory build power by 15%
  5. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Now balance is at a worthy level, main thing that need to change - system. From design of system depends on that will be leading unit. I can create system where best will be dox, grenadiers, ants, air or rush t2/orbital, but only good system allows you to use it all.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Now if you wanted to be really clever / mean, you make a multi planet system that features a planet of each type haha :D
  7. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Good idea, but I'm not engage in creation of systems, I believe that this should be done by developers
  8. cdrkf

Your obviously not a fan of sandbox games then :p
  9. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

I love sandbox games, but this game I was buying like RTS and incompleteness does not make it sandbox.
  10. cdrkf

Pa is the definitive sandbox rts imo. It's built to tinker with just like ta and spring rts. If you came to pa expecting a traditional rts campaign type game, well you obviously were never part of the ta community. This right here is why I think so many are dissatisfied with pa, they thought it was something else, please show be where devs suggested anything about a campaign, this was always going to be a sandbox.

It's interesting though as I'm starting to realise why I'm so pleased with pa when others aren't. To me pa represents the best of ta, with even easier map making tools, great skirmish and custom game options and multi player.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Did I miss something? K1s3l didn't talk about a campaign, he's talking about hand-crafted systems.
  12. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Possibility of modification, does not do game sandbox.
    I have a lot of games that can be modified, but not an excuse incompleteness.
    rivii likes this.
  13. cdrkf

Uber have put a lot of effort / resources into the planet generation tech and the integrated map editor so *USERS* can make their own maps. Which @k1s3l is apparently unable / unwilling to use on some weird principal that Uber should hand craft all maps?

Why is using the map making tool set such a big issue, really?! I mean if you don't want to worry about hand placing everything you can still use the automated tools (now with the aid of symmetry) to make a reasonable map really quickly and easily.

Lets be realistic here, Uber *aren't* going to be making many more maps for PA as far as I can see, they've got other things to be doing and they've given us a very capable toolset that represents a good chunk of the budget for this game. You may as well go play Roller Coaster Tycoon and refuse to design any of your own rollercoasters on the basis the game should provide all the template designs you should ever need cause 'devs should do it'...?
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  14. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

I think that developers should make key elements of the game, rather than shifting work on players and for strategy 3-5 maps is one of necessary elements. Good example its CS and SC, developers make few good map at start, and then players create more, some of which become official.
  15. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

very simple lol. the system editor is buggy as hell lol!
  16. cdrkf

It's improved recently.... Guess it depends what your trying to make though.
  17. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

so much truth!!!
  18. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yep having only one choice for mobile aa sucks....not mention the unit itself is horrible. I hate in order to run big bot rush you have to in turn spend metal on vehicle or air factories to save your forces
    ace63 likes this.
  19. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are looking for. Like pointed out earlier, the air OPness depends on the map size and structure. So the fact that air wasn't OP in TA doesn't necessarily mean that the mechanic in TA wasn't prone to this effect, it just may mean that TA maps were designed in a way that air wasn't OP for it's scale.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hell, I never build air for anything other then defence in TA because I actually think it's kinda crap.

Bombers are flimsy and overkill like mad men, and gunships focus fire so much and clump up that it's kinda easy to murder them.

The idea that TA aircraft could be OP has always seemed like a running gag to me.

Like, maybe if you wasted so much money on planes that you really cannot be stopped, sure, but tanks and artillery will win the game for much much less.