Current economy balance as of v.49186

Discussion in 'Support!' started by godde, June 10, 2013.

1. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I've took down all the economic buildings, fabbers and factories in this spread sheet:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An_H1QQ1KR-rdHhQbzZBS3lXTGpfUnpyVUlMc2VxTEE#gid=0
    Feel free to copy it and modify it.
    Code:
    Unit     Build speed efficiency(unit cost and energy requirement cost divided by build speed)
    Commander                                32.143
    Fabrication bot                          82.286
    Fabrication vehicle                      86.786
    Fabrication aircraft                    173.571
    Fabrication ship                        139.286
    Adv fabrication bot                      97.619
    Adv fabrication vehicle                 109.286
    Adv fabrication aircraft                203.571
    Adv fabrication ship                    127.778
    Fabrication sub                         113.839
    Bot factory                              86.161
    Vehicle factory                          68.929
    Aircraft factory                        138.929
    Naval factory                            79.702
    Adv bot factory                         101.290
    Adv vehicle factory                      90.040
    Adv aircraft factory                    118.849
    Adv aircraft factory                    118.849
    Adv naval factory                        87.024
    To get a low value(good) it requires that the unit has cheap cost or drain little energy per 1 metal it spends.

The commander is the most efficient mobile builder. It is free and only drains 50 energy for every 1 metal. The Fabrication Bot is the second cheapest mobile builder(180 metal for 10 build speed) while draining 100 energy energy per 1 metal spent like Fabrication Vehicles, Advanced Fabrication Bots and Advanced Fabrication Vehicles.
    The Advanced Fabrication Aircraft is the most inefficient builder as it is one of the most expensive builders(1350 metal for 18 build speed) and drains 200 energy for every 1 metal spent.

The Vehicle Factory is the most efficient factory in the game. It costs 600 metal for 15 build speed and only drains 45 energy for every 1 metal spent.
    The air factory is the most inefficient factory as it costs 720 metal for 9 buildpower and drains 92 energy for every 1 metal spent.

So this should tell you that you can happily assist the Aircraft Factory with Fabricator Bots since the efficiency difference is the largest there. 87 vs 138 efficiency.
    Air constructors should only be used if you want really mobile fabricators that can avoid pathing issues.
    However, a note on energy production. Cheaper energy sources benefit mobile high energy demanding builders more. If your energy is completely based of Advanced Sea Power Plants, which avoided the nerf that the land based equivalent received, it looks a whole lot different:
    Code:
    Commander                                   18.000
    Fabrication bot                             54.000
    Fabrication vehicle                         58.500
    Fabrication aircraft                       117.000
    Fabrication ship                            94.50
    Adv fabrication bot                         69.333
    Adv vehicle bot                             81.000
    Adv fabrication aircraft                   147.000
    Adv fabrication ship                        94.78
    Fabrication sub                             80.250
    Bot factory                                 70.250
    Vehicle factory                             56.200
    Aircraft factory                           113.000
    Naval factory                               65.170
    Adv bot factory                             83.611
    Adv vehicle factory                         77.311
    Adv aircraft factory                        93.444
    Adv naval factory                           64.870
    Now it looks a whole lot differently. Fabrication Bots are even more efficient than Vehicle Factories and the Fabrication Aircraft is almost as efficient as the Aircraft Factory.
    However if you do want to use mobile builders to assist factories you gotta think about the roll-off time. On Vehicle Factories and Bot Factories I have timed it to 9 seconds which is rather long considering a Fabrication Bot and a Fabrication Vehicle are built in 15 seconds. I might do an analysis taking roll-off time into account later.

I did not factor in the cost of metal extractors since it is just a basic cost added for the build power of the unit.

About reclaim

Reclaim is currently very slow and extracts metal at the builders rate. Repair is much faster while costing metal and energy. This means that you can have several Fabricators reclaiming while one of Fabricator repairs. This is free metal. How many Fabbers you can have reclaiming for everyone repairing varies on structure. I think it depends on HP or something. On T1 radar you can have like 20 Fabbers reclaiming and one repairing.
    Considering you currently can place metal extractors anywhere this doesn't really matter but once metal extractors are limited to where they can be placed this needs to be fixed or else players will exploit this to get free metal.
    I'm not sure what Ubers intentions with reclaim is.

Feel free to point out errors in the spread sheet, my analysis or add your own supplements to the analysis in this thread.

Edit:Added fabrication ships.
    Last edited: June 10, 2013
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

About energy stalling:
    An energy stall will reduce your metal income with how bad your stall is.
    If your energy production is 10000 per second and you spend 20000 energy per second your metal income will be halved. Adding more Fabbers to a project or turning on more factories will only make your metal production go down even further.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

good post
  4. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I've included roll-off time in my spreadsheet now. It had a large impact especially on Bot Factory and Vehicle Factory.
    I think the roll-off time is uniform for all factories and units. I've estimated it to 9 seconds.
    9 seconds is a lot if a unit only take 15 seconds to make as is the case of Fabrication Vehicles and Ants.
    Code:
    Unit                Build speed efficiency        Minimum time spent idle
    Commander                     32.14	
    Fabrication bot               82.29	
    Fabrication vehicle           86.79	
    Fabrication aircraft         173.57	
    Fabrication ship             139.286
    Adv fabrication bot           97.62	
    Adv vehicle bot              109.29	
    Adv fabrication aircraft     203.57
    Adv fabrication ship        127.778	
    Fabrication sub              113.84	
    Bot factory                  110.16                        32%
    Vehicle factory               92.93                        38%
    Aircraft factory             162.93                        23%
    Naval factory                 90.20                        18%
    Adv bot factory              117.00                        20%
    Adv vehicle factory          105.75                        20%
    Adv aircraft factory         129.85                        15%
    Adv naval factory             91.61                        11%
    So if a factory is producing the most expensive unit it will be idle at this percentage.
    If you add assisting Fabbers, the factory and the assisting Fabbers will be idle for a larger percentage.
    It is interesting to see how the naval factories rise to be the most efficient factories while Vehicle Factories fall behind both Fabrication Bots and Vehicles. Although assisting a simple T1 Vehicle Factory would be stupid considering how long time both the fabber and the factory would be idle.

With Advanced Sea Power Plants the naval factories are even more ahead.
    Code:
    Unit                Build speed efficiency        Minimum time spent idle
    Commander                     18.00	
    Fabrication bot               54.00	
    Fabrication vehicle           58.50	
    Fabrication aircraft         117.00
    Fabrication ship              94.50	
    Adv fabrication bot           69.33	
    Adv vehicle bot               81.00	
    Adv fabrication aircraft     147.00
    Adv fabrication ship          94.78	
    Fabrication sub               80.25	
    Bot factory                   94.25                        32%
    Vehicle factory               80.20	                     38%
    Aircraft factory             137.00                        23%
    Naval factory                 75.67                        18%
    Adv bot factory               99.33                        20%
    Adv vehicle factory           93.03                        20%
    Adv aircraft factory         104.44                        15%
    Adv naval factory             69.45                        11%
    Now the Advanced naval factory is the most efficient factory and it also benefits the most from being assisted.
  5. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Nicely done. It would also be nice to see efficiency split into metal cost and power to upkeep metal cost. It is useful to amalgamate both these costs into one cost (as you have done) if you plan on constructing at a full rate in a safe environment. If you have constructors with downtime or in dangerous situations it is better for their cost to be in energy plants than metal cost.

I'm not expecting you to do more analysis, I'd just like to note some things about the economy in general.

Firstly power plants are like soft farms. To build and run a constructor you need a certain amount of metal in power plants. But if the constructor dies you can rebuild it without spending the power plant cost.

Secondly constructors may not work all the time. If your constructor spends a lot of time walking or if it has to wait for factory rolloff time it will not use it's full energy capacity. Another constructor can use it's energy allowance during the downtime. Also factory rolloff can be fixed with adjacent factories and slightly smarter units which assist any nearby job.
  6. veta

veta Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Different mass cost efficiencies and upkeeps can create an approachability barrier as well if there isn't a heuristic involved or delineated engineer roles e.g. vehicles are the sturdiest, bots are the cheapest, air is the most mobile.
    Indeed, if the aim is to make marginal factories more efficient than marginal assisting engineers this is a stopgap measure at best.
  7. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Way better than my thread! :cool: Spreadsheet for the win. I think the only errors are the t2 mex +metal numbers (I think its 24 not 28), and for some reason the t1 naval power gen shows +500 energy, not the 700 of the land one.

Interesting reclaim exploit......... One fix would be to have reclaim work faster than repair, even if the incoming metal/s wasn't changed. Another might be to have the right click on buildings command assist the first worker to do whatever he's doing. Make it so you can ONLY build, reclaim, or repair. Not all at once.

Either way, if mexes can't be upgraded, only reclaim->build better one, reclaim needs to be faster

EDIT: also, VOTE FOR STICKY!!!!!!!!! (at least, if you wanna keep the sheet up do date as builds happen........) :mrgreen:
  8. kahoali

kahoali New Member

Thank you for pointing this out, in particular. The information all together is very well presented, as well; thank you for posting it.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Thanks. Changed.

Yeah. The first solution could work. You would still be able to reclaim the unit down to 1% to get back some resources while still keeping the structure functional. The tradeoff is having a unit on lower health but you get metal for free by reclaiming. This can be an acceptable tradeoff on your power plants in your base for example. The second solution only tries to make it harder to micro. You can still reclaim, repair and repeat forever with 1 single fabber.
    We will have to see the Devs intentions about reclaim.

Thanks. Yeah, it is very easy to update. Just plug in the new values and the rest of the table is updated automatically.
  10. infuscoletum

But that's the point. Repairing requires metal, reclaim gives it back. By not being able to do both simultaneously there'd be no point in reclaiming active structures, and if you did reclaim->repair->repeat your metal income would sine wave like mad, and would prolly only be useful if your metal has already crashed, just so you could build more mexes at full speed. Never mind the micro management and attention required to keep an eye on your base to make sure you didn't miss starting the repair cycle and there goes all your generators!

And I'm pretty sure that the devs have said they wanted to avoid that kind of heavy micro in favor of a set it, leave it to work, kindof thing.
  11. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

So a couple of notes:

1. Reclaiming is barely in. The system doesn't have all it's functionality so there's no way to balance it yet. So don't bother trying to calculate anything there because the system isn't quite there yet.

2. It's really cool to see you do this. The only thing I'll mention is that calculating efficiency based on cost isn't as useful with this economy because the cost is more a determination of build time. You also get into the mix of how much each fabber decreases build time, so it's a very interconnected system in that way.

3. Roll off time is currently animation driven. Like reclaiming, this will be changing so we can actually tune it. So expect changes there.
    knickles likes this.
  12. scathis

For example: The Fab Bot is better efficiency, according to your numbers, but it still has the same build time of the Fab Vehicle. So, trying to go all bots doesn't buy you faster build times.
    In general going Bots will cost you more energy but less metal than going vehicles. It's about a 20% difference.
    knickles likes this.
  13. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Thanks. It is fun.
    It depends on how you look at things. I'm talking about metal cost since I expect metal to become the bottleneck resource once metal extractors can only be built at metal points.
    I guess you could say that Fabrication Vehicles and Fabrication Bots have the same build time since they are both built in 15 seconds (24 with roll-off time) in their respective factory.
    However you are still paying a higher overall metal cost for the Fabrication Vehicle which I expect to be the most important limiting factor when you can't build mexes anywhere.
    I have column in the spreadsheet(column W) where I include the infrastructure cost of metal extractors to run a factory or fabber which is accurate considering you can make mexes anywhere in the current economy. The difference in efficiency between Fab Bots and Fab Vehicles is much smaller then, 125.14 vs 129.64 (only 3.6% difference)from 54.00 vs 58.50(8.3% difference).

When you are comparing the power of assisting and mex placement is limited, then I think metal cost is very important. Do you buy a Fab Bot with 10 build power for 180 metal or do you buy a Fab Vehicle for 225 metal and the same energy price?

As for if you want to produce tanks or bots for combat is a whole other question.
    Like how does a 180 metal Scamper bot compare to a 225 metal Ant tank? I don't know. They take the same time to build and cost the same amount of energy. You could be making a Vehicle factory while I make a Bot factory. We could have our factories at full production but I have some +3 metal production to spend on something else.
    How they stand up against each other on the battlefield is a whole other question I'd say.
  14. scathis

Ideally, the same amount of metal expended should result in a fair fight. So Bots may cost you 20% less metal but you'll need 20% more of them to win a fight vs tanks.

These numbers also relate to some long-term plans. There are going to be planets where energy is more abundant and metal less abundant where bots make more sense. Or maybe a planet where energy is less abundant but metal more, where tanks make more sense.

I had to differentiate the units some how or else we'll end up with bots feeling like tanks with different art. So bots are faster, more nimble, and cost less metal but do less damage, can take less damage, and cost more energy.
    knickles likes this.
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Well then I say my build speed efficiency analysis is pretty much on target.
    Currently you need the same infrastructure cost, not counting mexes, to run a single Vehicle Factory or Bot Factory. Infrastructure is in this case cost of the factory + cost of powerplants required to run the factory. However that gives you less build speed/metal drain on the bot factory. If I calculated it correctly a bot player making Scampers would have to spend 25% more into infrastructure in order to keep up the same rate of production as a Vehicle player making Ants.
    However I guess you could argue that the Bot player get cheaper Fabbers which compensates it somewhat.
    With current balance Scamper production would actually still have to spend 25% percent more even if energy production were free. Anyway. I guess you are gonna change this when it is appropriate. A simple way could be to reduce the price of the bot factory.

I were hoping that Bots would be able to go in hills where Vehicles couldn't go. Although who knows what the future brings.

Another thing would be to turn around the energy drain for fabbers and factories where factories drain more energy per 1 metal spent in general than fabbers. I think it would be easier to balance.
    The price of fabbers would have to go up or their build speed reduced in order to compensate that you need less power plants for the fabbers.
    However I'd think it would be easier to balance air factories and other energy heavy factories then since those factories could be comparatively cheap while requiring a lot of power to run. Their total infrastructure cost per 1 build speed should of course be cheaper than fabbers but they would also benefit more from cheap power than fabbers.
    I'm just speculating.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

One thing I must note about this game is that factories should be more efficient than bots, or just as efficient. This is where the complaint in supcom came from where T1 Engineers are more efficient than Factories, and you would have 200+ T1 Engineers assisting a single T3 Naval Factory, which looked absolutely RIDICULOUS. It also made for poor balance and slowdowns late game.
  17. infuscoletum

Some good info Scathis/godde! Part of the reason I went number diving was to see what the actual power/metal use of the facts/fabs are. I know its just the alpha ui, but being able to plan my energy/mexes out before going in the hole is nice :mrgreen: It's helped me plan out a beginning game (especially after watching Sorian's stream the other day) that doesn't totally suck.

Or even knowing that the equivalent advanced power output from regular gens costs 3214 metal, instead of the 2700 for an advanced gen on its own.

Either way, I bought the alpha for 2 reasons: To help hunt bugs down, and to see the game evolve and change. I'm really looking forward to where the numbers end up :D
  18. veta

veta Active Member

Yeah this is my concern too.

Definitely liked that idea as well. I think they're interested in bringing dedicated spiderbots back at least though. I could see the purpose of bots being superior skirmishers e.g. having decent range and speed such that they can flank but losing head to head against vehicles.
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I frigging LOVED spiderbots in TA, I almost peed myself when I found the combat-capable spiderbots in TA Spring.
  20. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

Interesting numbers. and I like the idea of "penalizing" air constructors to balance out their swarm build advantage a bit. Be interesting to see how this all balances out as the game evolves.