Crag unbalanced for 1v1?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by lulamae, September 16, 2018.

1. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Maybe this is a known issue, but I never noticed until someone posted ab0ut it on the Steam forum.
    The metal arrangement on Crag seems to favor the player in slot 2 for 1v1 games.
    I set a metal area build command for the players; the radius is shown by the red line.
    This covers 3 metal spots towards the back of the planet for player 1 but
    this covers almost 6 metal spots towards the back of the planet for player 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Likewise towards the front, the radius comes up short of 3 metal spots for player 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Good catch. Never realized that and I'm pretty OCD about that kind of stuff but now that you mention it, it's really obvious. It doesn't seem like that map was really designed for 1v1s, I wouldn't mind to see it retired.
    Last edited: September 16, 2018
  3. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

Real question is if it had a statistically significant effect on game results.
  4. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Yes, let's have 2 players of the same level play 100 games on this map to figure out if the one that has access to 3 more metal points has an advantage :p.
  5. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Probably more of an advantage towards the back of the planet. Outside of the basic radius test that I did, when you look at the back of the planet, it looks like the entire metal collection is biased towards player 2.

This probably has had a minimal affect on the rankings, but the game is not served well by planets that are not obviously symmetrical for 1v1 games. Yeah, I know it's been many years with no one speaking up, but something to be mindful of going forward.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah this has been mentioned. Iirc meso has an extra spot in the water too.
    grandhomie likes this.
  7. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

Now we know the real reason why Uberent Planetary Annihilation Inc. has to rollback and reset all ladder ranks soon oO !!111
  8. NikolaMX

NikolaMX Active Member

Meso has a missing mex, Crag has different Mex distance as well. but the real champion here is Clutch, totally unsymmetrical coastline, can have a big impact on fab snipes, naval and locusts. on one side the 2 mex in front of the platforms are in the way towards the natural expansion, on the other they are to the sides...

As for crag, this might be confirmation bias, but i feel like sniping fabs happens more often from spawn 2