Cosmetic Upgrades for Cash

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Pandemonium, December 19, 2010.

1. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

Pff Fancy Fedora.

And for the record. Team Fortress is the best "War themed hat simulator game" ;)
    Valve learned of their previous mistakes by letting hats being needed for the bonus. Heavy, Medic and Demoman "pollycount" just came out while hats where added, only the weapons was needed for the set bonus.

TF2 have just been giving, and giving and giving. I understand that TF2 needed some new way to earn cash out of the game. While i don't like the TF2 shop 100% i do agree that it was the right thing to do.
    Beside its just a shortcut to get items, you can still get them while playing/crafting.

And yes i think Uber should do that to. Cosmetics are a great thing as long as its not changing the gameplay what so ever. Uber need some way to get some dosh out of this beside throwing out DLCs from time to time. Buying hats, alternative costumes etc is a great way give your support to the team.
  2. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

If they do that, give an option to hide every single cosmetic item or X of your choice and I'm fine with that. :x
  3. Gturtle

Gturtle New Member

Why?

What's the difference between players using models design by the developers as hats, and using models designed by the developers as everything else in the game
  4. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

I think everyone is looking at this with a very narrow perspective because of what happened with TF2, there are SO many ways to implement this without making it ugly, game altering and silly. You can have truly bad-*** cosmetic upgrades that don't affect gameplay that really do improve the looks of your character. Surely you can all think of a change you would make to your favourite class if you had control over the model? I know I can.
  5. Lipucd

Lipucd New Member

AmmnoMule sized clips on the guns would be freaking awesome. And again, I spoort the idea greatly of say stickers of whatever sponsors you desire/Whatever your using on your build as unlockables. Stuff to aim for if anything else that gives you a little bit more flash instead of just the tags ( as honestly doing first the achievements, and then buying them isn't as enjoyable/goal reaching as they should be. ).
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

I think the best and most plausible way to implement cosmetic upgrades are endorsement stickers on the Pro's armor. Think of the Cars in Nascar. I mean this is a sports game, of the future, and with sports come sponsors cramming their product into your brain. It works and it's not over the top.

You simply get a few slots to add endorsements to. Lets say that you have 3-4 small spots, 3 medium spots and 2 big spots.
  7. dormedas

dormedas New Member

Perhaps the new all-star system could play a role in customization? Perhaps, say, your armor gets a sort've gold racing stripe thing, across the chest or something (totally by choice of course)

Perhaps football-esque face paint, with numbers, or black painted "war" lines under the eyes. For the assassin, perhaps different swords to equip?

There are tons of things that don't alter either the silhouetting or the playability of the characters/teams; its just finding them.
  8. Hako

Hako New Member

Or maybe the gold silver and bronze sponsors you choose could affect things. This is a long term suggestion that'll take a lot of different models...

Let's say what gold sponsor you chose affected your armor. Each sponsor would have a different set of armor that was purely cosmetic (The sponsor would still work the same). Silver could be your helmet and each sponsor would have a different one. Bronze could have no effect, or it could affect your weapon model or something. I dunno. :p

I think it'd be really cool. :p
  9. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

Bumpity bump bump
  10. Corvo

Corvo New Member

I whole heartedly agree with the ideas posted here. I am a huge fan of character customization as long as it doesn't effect game play or if it dose be balanced accordingly.

I too lost allot of love for TF2 with all the strange new gear, swords and shields and bizarre headgear really do detract from the main theme of the game. Im not against funny gear, funny gear that is appropriate to the setting can be extremely amusing, like seeing a Support wearing a broken Jackbot head as a helmet would be amusing, and in context imo.

I some what suspect something like this is in the works too some degree, just look at the first custom character page. Why bother with showing all the stats and gear there when the game play guide tells about all that stuff in detail? It is the perfect place to pick alternate gear setups or change the looks of your character. If it is not intended, well, there you have the perfect place to implement it! :D

Plus, you make freak amounts of money on here and can easily unlock the tags or slots you want in very little time also lead me to believe there is much more in store for using all that cash you accumulate.

I am also a huge supporter and user of cash shops (the pay real money kind) in games, provided they DON'T damage the gameplay for people that cant afford to buy there items. A great place to see a cash shop in action i use and agree with is the one Riot uses with League of Legends (a game that this game has ALLOT to relate to). Everyting you can buy that can effect the game can be earned in game, and anything you cant earn (custom skins boosts ect) don't affect the gameplay experience of those who cant afford it (other than make them long for there Scion to look as cool as mine :cool: ).

Just my thoughts anyways.
  11. Tomas

Tomas New Member

I'm all for customization and upgrades as long as it stays within the theme of the game.
    For other games that do that type of stuff I find it really jarring when they have an established visual style and then start piling on football related skins during a world cup and things like that. It just starts looking really sloppy and mashed together when every single player is running around with a jack-o-lantern hat, world cup t-shirt, santa beard, and a 2011 re-release limited edition fire wings.

Not entirely related I suppose, but I stopped playing TF2 around when they added achievements. Not because I have a problem with achievements themselves, but how drastically it dictated a lot/most of players' playstyles. The medic's "Placebo Effect" is the prime example I think, where they have to kill a certain amount of players without using their buff. I couldn't believe how flat-out unplayable the game instantly became because everyone was more concerned about those type of achievements instead of winning the round.
    I tried booting it back up again recently and kept getting kicked from servers because I was wearing the only hat I had. Didn't make me want to get back into it.
  12. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I've always felt there's a lack of things to spend your money on in MNC.
  13. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

14. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

15. Corvo

Corvo New Member

What are the chances that there will be an assassin mask for the spy in TF2 if you already own this game? :p
  16. kankle

kankle New Member

:idea: I like your idea of spending cash on cosmetic upgrades, but I'd rather have something that affects the gameplay. For example, buying an AOE ''skill'' instead of buying juice so your whole team got a buff so you could push better. Even something like -20% damage for teammates in xx range for 10 seconds for $500.

Would you guys like a "team pushing" skill you can activate?
  17. JaneWayne

JaneWayne New Member

I really like the idea of endorsements on my character. Though I'm sure someone would find something weird to do with it. Also, being able to adjust the number on the character's front/back would be cool. I still don't understand why Sniper has the number 1 on his vest.
  18. Hako

Hako New Member

That's not exactly what we're talking about. We're talking about uses for lifetime earnings, basically.
  19. kankle

kankle New Member

Oh silly me! Sorry carry on :p
  20. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

Bump the second!