Construction units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eukanuba, August 19, 2012.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The video is probably going to have some inconsistencies in it. So please don't use it as design gospel.

We are planning on multiple different types of construction units as well as some special units like the "lander". Given that we want to have multiple bases the lander will also have some "egg" like capabilities to get a base going quickly.
  2. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Awesome! :D
  3. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I am personally hoping to simplify this a bit. I agree, the assortment of constructors in TA was bewildering and unnecessarily complex. Essentially everyone just ended up using the two air constructors pretty much exclusively.

I like the four legged constructor we saw in the video, it seemed like it could move on the ground and also had some limited flight or something.

I would be perfectly okay with centralizing it all to just two or three constructor types, basic, advanced, orbital, whatever... I just don't see the point of requiring a specific type of constructor for each factory (bot/vehicle/air/other?). It just never made sense to me, it is unnecessarily complex.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I never saw a Bot Constructor?

EDIT: Are you talking about the lander? If so those legs are Clearly not designed for locomotion.

Mike
  5. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I'm referring to the one that was loaded into a rocket and launched to the moon. From what little I saw I got the impression it was a constructor bot of some form.

I also notice that there was a smaller analog to this that was sent to asteroids instead.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The one that went to the moon was the commander, the same thing you see dropping him off at the beginning of the video.

The one going to the asteroids seems to be some kind of transport design to carry 2 of the Air Engineers, as opposed to being an engineer in of itself.

Mike
  7. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

as was quoted in another thread, best not to read too much into this concept video since things are likely to change.

My point was I would very much be in favor of a relatively limited number of all purpose constructors rather than having the bewildering number of super specialized ones as was done in TA.

I would prefer a basic constructor that can produce all level 1 structures, an advanced constructor that can produce all level 2 structures, and then maybe a specialized one that is just for making asteroid bases. And maybe another specialized one that is just for placing orbital structures like spy satellites, and orbital weapon platforms.

I just don't enjoy having to deal with a whole bunch of annoyingly specialized construction bots just to start a level 2 bot factory, or vehicle factory, or air factory. This never made much sense to me.