console version?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by slimexpert, April 29, 2013.

1. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Oh yes. One of the many things that is so awesome about Planetary Annihilation; the company behind it.

Cheers to you, Uber!
  2. antillie

antillie Member

"Console ports" are a blight upon both sides of the gaming world. Consoles and PC's are very different platforms with very different strengths and weaknesses. You get much better games when the two are not mixed. See the graphical details in the console version of Crysis 3 and the UI in the PC version of Skyrim for evidence of this.

Other than fighting games like Tekken/Mortal Combat I have never seen a game where a controller was a better option for input than a keyboard/mouse or joystick in the case of flight sims.
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. jeanmicarter

jeanmicarter Member

How about the WiiU and the touch-screen gamepad?
    I'm sure there could be an interesting control scheme to implement.
    But maybe not enough horsepower?
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

It was ported but it was never designed to be a console game. A third party porting studio Aspyr created the port for THQ.

GPG themselves made Supcom 2 with the intention of a multiplat.
  5. antillie

antillie Member

Touch pads make for terrible game input devices for any game that isn't expressly designed for touch input. They work as a passable replacement for a mouse for normal office style apps but for anything requiring real precision and/or speed like Auto Cad, 3DS Max, Photoshop, or games, they suck, a lot.

And honestly the Wii U's system specs are pretty anemic compared to even a low end gaming PC. I'm surprised that anyone takes it seriously as a gaming platform given how terrible motion controls are and how slow it is.
  6. antillie

antillie Member

This is exactly why "ports" are terrible. PC *or* console only or go home IMO. Cross platform should only mean Windows/OSX/Linux *or* PS3/360, never PC/Console.
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Great games have been ported from one to the other and vice versa and remained great.

PC devs just need to stop being elitists and assuming their game is too complex for a console audience.

The limitations even as they are today is 10% hardware and 90% PC elitism on the part of devs.
  8. antillie

antillie Member

Please provide an example of a game that had both a PC and a console version where one version or the other wasn't held back by the fact that it was ported to or from a console.

Also, garat's post at the top of page two seems to completely contradict your statement about hardware limitations. Since he works in the game dev industry I am going to cite his post as an expert opinion here.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And that didn't require patches post release to have do so.

Mike
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Console controls and hardware are what holds them back.

If players could plug a USB mouse and keyboard into a xbox or play-station then ports would be a hell of a lot easier to do.
  11. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Heh. But then you might as well be using a PC, right?

I've got a bias against consoles. What can I say. :)
  12. veta

veta Active Member

diablo 3 will probably be better for console than it was for pc
  13. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Nobody said hardware wasn't an issue. But it's such a tiny issue in comparison to the concessions to gameplay made because of devs assuming console gamers are idiots who need everything to be simplified.

Halo was ported to PC reasonably well without incident, RUSE itself is a nice example of a multiplat designed to be a good game first and a "dumb console gamers" game second. Crysis 3 suffered relatively little in gameplay from being consoleified unlike the previous game and it even looked and ran better to boot.

Supcom and Dark Souls both suffered tremendously on performance due to poor or limited porting ability but the core gameplay experience was not compromised in either case.

The most amusing case is probably of Mass Effect which was initially a great console game ported very nicely to PC. But ME2 designed as a multiplat from the ground up at least if the developer lies are to be believed suffered immensely on the PC and had several Halo-ifications made to it to appeal to a wider audience.

In other words if you're going to port anything keep the original dev as far away from it as possible. And keep PC devs on the PC and console devs on the console otherwise they're going to try and change their game for the worse for the "inferior" platform.
  14. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

It is pitch black. You are likely to be crushed by an asteroid.
  15. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

funny, I had the made the same mistake. Took me a few seconds to realize what this is about.

I'd rather have an ASCII-Version of PA.
  17. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

There's nothing about it that should be exclusive to consoles though, all the changes would be beneficial for the PC version.
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Well, no real money auction house and no always on (so no lag) allready make it the better version. :evil:
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Plus Local Multiplayer and a bunch of other things from what I can barely recall.

Also bmb, don't forget games like GTA4 and the Gears of War PC Ports were downright atrocious at release and took countless patches to fix things, if they even got fixed that is, I think GoW on PC was plagued with hacking for online multiplayer from what I recall.

It's just like anything else, it can be done both Right and/or Wrong.

Mike
  20. slimexpert

slimexpert New Member

There does appear to be some console haters out there! I understand, I used to be one, until I got off the treadmill of yearly hardware updates. With the latest gfx cards it is now ridiculous $1000 card anyone?

Now, we heard from Uber the game plays nice on a 800-1000 machine, so, my current rig might surface. Though, I will need a GFx refresh, but more in the $200 ballpark.

I like consoles for that reason, do you get the best graphics? No. Do you get 80 fps on games? No. Do you get game play that is what the developers expect? Yes, because all consoles are the same. There is no faster Xbox, or PS3. They all are pretty much the same.

I am not wanting to get flamed here, this is just the reason why I switched over to console.

That said, I want to play PA - as TA was one of my favorite games when I was a pc enthusiast.

With all that said, when Xbox 720 and PS4 come out, they might be up to running this game, they are 8 core with 8 gb ram and a i5 level CPU - if we believe rumors and details so far. They are basically just a PC now.

The only problem is poor controllers, for RTS, so if we have a keyboard and mouse, ideally wireless, so I can sit and play on a big tv. they would most likely run the game unchanged.

Slim