Considering Building a Wiki

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Gentleman, June 7, 2010.

1. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

It's okay, signing up really isn't that hard.

Plus, you don't really need an account to edit. Not all the advanced stuff anyways.

Plus just express your ideas to myself or Jessop, or just post them in the thread, any ideas are welcome!
  2. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

I just hate having sooo many accounts for everything I go to, Although I probably should make one.
  3. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Like I said, you don't HAVE to sign up. But if you do, you can change a lot more stuff and use a lot more features.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Justin, I love the design you found! After a few hours of wrestling with the roughly 500 lines of CSS (it was mostly copy -> paste -> edit -> test, not that bad really... :D) I have beaten the design into submission:

[​IMG] <- click for large version

What do ya think? I have already prepared a fixed up version of the main page in case you like it...

PS: If you want to create a page or add something to the Wiki, please go ahead! You might want to wait with pictures, tables and design fluff until we have decided on a final layout though. Text shouldn't be a problem.
  5. TheJustinIsALie

Wow it looks really good, I say we stick with it.
  6. The Reaver

The Reaver New Member

Gentleman, since we now have a wiki, would you mind putting it into the first post of this thread? It'd be easier to find that way.
  7. Col_Jessep

8. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Looking damn good so far! Nice work Jessep. It's almost as if you do something like this for a living ;)

Not sure if you can control it or if it's a browser thing, but you know how links turn dark blue/puple-ish after you have clicked on them? Well the assassin link does this. Not a big deal but it takes away from the orange theme. Again, not sure if you can do anything about that but I figured I'd just let you know.
  9. Col_Jessep

Erm, yeah. Just checking the Wiki with different browsers and getting very different results! Chrome and IE wont load the new CSS for some reason. I have worked with some user settings on my part but I thought I had purged them. I will look into the link stuff as well but that's probably related to the problem.
    What browser do you use?
  10. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

For certain! It's coming along well! :D
  11. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Right now I'm at work and using IE 7 32 bit. The link and site seems to be working fine for me. It's just the color that's off cuz the http address is still in my history or cookies or w/e
  12. Col_Jessep

Thanks! I will take a look at it as soon as possible.
  13. TheJustinIsALie

The main page doesn't load the new layout, I guess I need to clear my cookies.

I made the back ground dark so it didn't clash badly with anything but if you want a brighter one I could post it.
  14. MrMusikal

MrMusikal New Member

Hey Jessep I made a Pitgirl page. heres the link.
    Click on it then just right click copy paste. that should do it.

Attached Files:

15. Col_Jessep

Try clearing the browser cache (usually CTRL+F5). I'll keep an eye on this problem but hopefully it should correct itself over time when the old caches are replaced. But there is some funny stuff going on atm... :shock:

Yup, I think we should probably try that and maybe even a larger version of the picture. The most common screen resolution atm is 1650 according to Steam. We might need a fade out effect on the right side as well but I don't want a dark right side on smaller resolutions so the whole thing will be a little tricky. I have some ideas how to get that working but it will require testing on my part first.

@broncoburns: I have looked into the thing with the blue visited links and I think I fixed it. Please purge the cache (Ctrl+F5) and check it out.
  16. Col_Jessep

Looks great! However, those boxes are not just pictures. They are so called Templates and that is a standard Infobox template. I'll have to do something about the design from the Infobox first, the blue header just doesn't fit our style. I'll probably just brute force it via CSS until I have time to take a look at how to create templates. :D

EDIT: Done! That was a lot easier than I thought... =P
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin
  17. TheJustinIsALie

Ok here you go, Bigger and brighter:

This one is not tinted dark at all.

This one has 50% tint so not as dark as before.

I put the fade-to-black on both side so you can have the picture centered or something and it should be ok, If you want black only on the right I could do that for you.

Attached Files:

18. Col_Jessep

Thanks a lot Justin! Can you make another version with no black fade on the left and no tint? :D
    I'd like to compare them and see how they both look. (Will have to do that at a friends place on the weekend most likely.

Ladies and gentlemen I present you the new 'Infobox character':

[​IMG]

You can check out the Assassins page or the documentation on how to use the new infobox:
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... _character

Basically all you need to do is copy and paste this:
    Code:
    {{infobox character
    | image            = Image:Assassin portrait.png
    | caption          = Why use a broadsword if you have a scalpel?
    | primary weapon   = [[Image:Dagger_symbol_transparent.png]]
    | secondary weapon = [[Image:Shuriken_symbol_transparent.png]]
    | skill 1          = 
    | skill 2          = 
    | skill 3          =
    | character        = Deadly, quiet, invisible. The Assassin has become one of the most popular combatants on MNC due to her acrobatic kills and cool cloaking ability.
    }}
    And replace the stuff on the right side with the correct infos. If you are lacking a picture just leave it empty. I'll fill them in later. :)

And no worries, if something goes wrong I can just revert the page to the last version, no harm done. The Wiki has a preview button that will show you how everything looks in advance. Give it a try, it looks a lot more intimidating than it really is. And you can't really break anything! ;)

PS: This would be the info for the Assault without pictures:
    Code:
    {{infobox character
    | image            = Image:Placeholder person.png
    | caption          = Its not whether you win or lose, its how good you look winning
    | primary weapon   = Assault Rifle
    | secondary weapon = Grenade Launcher
    | skill 1          = 
    | skill 2          = 
    | skill 3          =
    | character        = The Assault is the closest thing Monday Night Combat has to a big play man. He is the center of attention always, and the unofficial leader of the pack. He is most often seen driving the attack while dazzling the crowd with his acrobatic plays and daring-do.
    }}
    Last edited: June 16, 2010
  19. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Yep w/e you did fixed it. No more blue links. Good Work!
    Last edited: June 16, 2010
  20. TheJustinIsALie

Here you go:

Attached Files: