Considering Building a Wiki

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Gentleman, June 7, 2010.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Wiki is up! I had no idea it was so easy to make one. I just typed the name in and wanted to see if it is still free and BAMM: creating Wiki! After a few hours of poking the thing with a stick I have a basic understanding of how they implemented the CSS. A preliminary MNC logo and favicon are up, mostly for testing purposes. I changed a few colors but nothing major.

http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... ombat_Wiki

Now we all agreed that we shouldn't rush things and should wait for the release but there are a bunch of things that we should do:
    - post some basic information about the game
    - add a few pictures and the Videos (capital V because they are so awesome!)
    - start thinking about a rough structure
    - integrate the basics from that structure into a portal for the main page

Here are a bunch of Wikias, worth taking a look at:
    http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Ex ... naco_skins
  2. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Should probably have the same color scheme as these forums.

Grey and orange seems pretty cool.
  3. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Agreed.
  4. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Yeah I agree with the colour scheme.

The logo looks a little unfitting with the black background though, I'd prefer it to be white, in my honest opinion.

But it's coming along nicely, to start us off, we'll need to take a look at an example Wikia to understand the basis of the homepage. For example, let's take a look at the Team Fortress 2 Wikia...

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

We could start out with the six classes at the top, then just add the little tidbits underneath including a random article or news feature along with something like a little "Did You Know..." feature or similar, right beside it.
  5. Col_Jessep

Guys, guys, before I can really start with the layout we need some content to check for bugs and stuff! I added some content on the main page and started with the assassin page. Right now my idea is to set up basic templates and some pages for testing. Assume that everything you see is under construction. If you clear your browser cache and reload the page it might already look totally different! :D

I am however glad for your input and will try to implement as many ideas as possible. I just changed the background of the logo to fit the rest of the page.

Thanks for the link to the TF2 Wiki, I'll check that out thoroughly! However, I think we might want to find a slightly different style because MNC is NOT a TF2 clone and the last thing I want to do is presenting it like it was. The devs might hate me for life for that... :D

Orange: Yes there will be orange! Atm I'm not exactly sure where and when but the basic idea is to hold the content areas in gray/silver and add small specs of color in orange and blue. At some point I will probably replace at least some of the simple colors with gradients and pictures.

The Uber site is stunningly beautiful and I'll try to create a very similar style for the Wiki without making it a carbon copy.
  6. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Hahah! I figured that someone would mention that it would be referring to MNC being a TF2 clone, but I wasn't getting at that!

Just an example, because it's a brilliant layout and I pretty much use that Wikia a lot, so I just chose what was on the top of my head. So I'm suggesting we should use a similar layout but not TOO similar, of course. :D

But I see where you are getting at here!

PS: May want to change the homepage of the Wikia to a Main Page instead of the one article!
  7. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

Jessep, if you make me some pics, I can put a few basics for the support class page. While we don't know much a few simple basics can be put down for the different classes. I'm just offering to do the support since that's pretty much the only class I played at PAX East. Also, the class thumbnails should become links to each class page along with the names below them.
  8. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Great idea, Magnus!

For every class page, there should be sections like Biography, skills and how much they cost for every upgrade and possibly an internal link to a strategy page.

I can already see the endorsement page now!
  9. Col_Jessep

I knew I forgot something! Done.

That should be enough for a first draft:
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... rtrait.png
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... ealgun.png
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... hotgun.png

I was trying to use the Infobox template on the Assassins page but so far I'm not convinced we can use that template unchanged... It will do for now but I'll have to look into where the damn thing gets its styles and fix them up. Or we might have to use another template. :S

In case you need them I have added a short documentation of 3 style classes I added. Please use them sparingly. I will integrate them into the regular styles later. It might take some time though, I have to find all the specific classes or I might override too much.

Btw, anybody here with experience with Wikias? I have never worked with them before except for some minor edits. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing... :D
    Last edited: June 14, 2010
  10. XxXMullin13XxX

XxXMullin13XxX New Member

I's lokinng really good, keep up the good work jessep and anybody else involved
  11. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Those are good! I somehow knew having you as the Editor with your artistic skills and stuff would come in handy! ;D

Plus you can also help out, Mullin, if you want to? :D
  12. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

other than the forums, are there any ways I can contact you guys for advice, help, or feedback?
  13. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Don't know, I think my email is located in my profile page, it's the same as my MSN ID or something.

Plus my Gamertag is SlinkyGuy.
  14. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

thanks gentleman, I added you to msn

and, I tried and failed to make the page, and will retry it when I'm not watching e3 press conferences...
  15. Col_Jessep

thanks! There are still plenty of things I'm not happy with but I'll take a look at that another time.

I think it might be best to restrict the content area to a set width because it is a pain to work on a nice design otherwise. Then again that looks kinda weird an screens with a high solution (1920)... :(

Anyway, feel free to add stuff or just get a feeling for the wiki by editing without saving. Help is always welcome and hopefully we will have some nice articles soon. Don't worry about pictures and design too much. We will cross that bridge and then I'll jump off it or something... xD
  16. TheJustinIsALie

Ok I was having a look around wikia and I had an idea for a layout.

Just looking at the background for this one. http://alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Alan_Wake_Wiki

And I thought we could have a background like that using this pic for the back ground
    And this for the info boxes

All text could be white and links could be orange, If it doesn't look good you can change it back but I thought we should give it a try.

Attached Files:

17. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Is there anything I can do to help? Write ups or anything?
  18. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Yeah anything's fine!
  19. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

OK, who do I send the stuff to when i'm done?
  20. TheJustinIsALie

Yeah I was gonna do stuff because I know all the names and effects of skills but I need to make an account to post pictures and stuff so I just didn't do anything.