Confirmed Features List 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KNight, March 27, 2013.

1. Moranic

Moranic Member

You haven't even checked the backers forum have you? If so why are you saying this because you are going in an irrelevant path here.

Total bubble shields might be unbalanced. MIGHT be. You CAN do it right. Point is, there are MULTIPLE forms of shields. MULTIPLE. I never said I liked BUBBLE shields. You can do UMBRELLA shields as well that only cover fire coming in from the top. That would counter arty but not normal land units. Therefore the entire balance thing you are talking about is being kicked out of the window, because shields only affect incoming arty/bombers. Supcom 2's bomb bouncer had this shield, and it worked against arty and air but land could just devastate the unit.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I am perfectly capable of checking the backer forums, and have done so. Nothing you have said so far in either derailing this thread, nor in that thread in the backer forums has convinced me of your standpoint... Mostly because you have ill-conceived ideas on how artillery works within the game, without any information released by the Devs so far.

You have no information on artillery; not its range, nor damage, nor fire-rate, nor the area of effect, nor Interplanetary capability, nor its capability on a single planet, nor its arc of fire, nor ANYTHING... bar that there are whitebox units that may, or may not be in the final version of the game.

You're speculating and prattling on like you're already correct... worse in fact; you are fear mongering.

There is currently no need for shields in the game. Until we are aware of the capabilities of artillery, all you are doing is promoting a baseless argument.

---

And, you're wrong. I liked using shields in SupCom. I am a self-confessed turtler. I enjoy turtling immensely. If I was aware of how powerful Artillery in Planetary Annihilation is going to be, I may well be "on your side" when it comes to shields.

However the foundationless premise on which you hang your arguments is entirely geared towards using fear mongering to achieve your ends.

I do not necessarily disagree with your desire for shields. However I must disagree with the style of your argument and your terrible butchering of informal logic.

You are using unknowable information to base your arguments upon... and I can not agree with your argument, no matter how much your cause my align with my own desires, if you are going to continue to proselytise in such a baseless manner.
  3. mantoop1234

mantoop1234 New Member

what about a AI. I'm thinking that the game is going to be huge and your going to fight battles on multiple fronts. But you can't be everywhere at the same time. My idea is that you can build a engineer send him to a planet. then type the engineer instructions on what you want the engineer to do. That way you can be somewhere else while the engineer is doing his job. My idea with the AI would be to type the AI's instructions. so it will do exactly what you want it to. :idea:
  4. therishka

therishka New Member

You can just order what to build through shift button
  5. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

Kinda sad that there won't be shields, veterancy and commander upgrades... Loved the focus on bunker tactics shield stacking as im a defensive player, in addition to farming veterancy with my Monkeylord.

I hope arti and experimentals will make it, i think defensive players should get more love haha. And also shields, i read that planetary shields might be considered? Dunno how it'll work but as long as its umbrella type of shield then im game lol.

Also, just wanna confirm, there will be only 2 tiers?
    And do we get unique races to choose from, complete will totally different units for each race(much like sup com FA)?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45763

Mike
  7. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I've got a list of confirmed features, that's in a wiki as a sortable table that anyone can edit.

Here's my post about it:
    Confirmed Features List (sortable table in a wiki)

Let's try to use that so we don't have to depend on one guy to keep editing his forum posts.
  8. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

I really hope they put in chat rooms. When Starcraft 2 launched without chat rooms I was in a fit of rage lol. Seriously took them months to put in a feature that had been present in both Starcraft Brood War and Warcraft 3.

With a game that has a pretty small and niche audience, I don't think bots would be an issue. I just love the socialization aspect, it is a multiplayer game after all :D
  9. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Deathcoy, I am with you.
    I was initially hoping for Forged Alliance x10.
    Shields, veterancy, and upgrades are things I might miss.
    I'm a turtle player myself, and it sounds like the gameplay balance will not be very much against the favor of my play style.

Yes, only 2 tiers announced thus far.
    And no unique races, 1 faction only.

Adding those all together dampened my enthusiasm.
    However, from what Uber has shown, I am highly optimistic.
    The engine and their design philosophy seem very sound.
    I say we trust them as well.

If this game is built well and thoroughly thought-out from the ground up, then scaling it up will be a reasonable endeavor.
    Balance and numbers can be tweaked, and units can be added.
    As long as Uber is off and running on the right foot, everything else can follow to appease the fans.
  10. AfroSpartan

AfroSpartan Member

doesn't galactic war count as coop campaign?
  11. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I personnaly am a little disappointed in the amount of units we will be getting aswell.
    I am fine with only having one 'race' but I loved the diversity of units TA had back in the days. Even though balance was not perfect I loved having the ability to choose between lightning tanks, fast tanks, slow tanks, heavy tanks, hovering tanks, etc...
    I probably won't miss unit upgrades/shields/veterancy though.

Edit:
    3 Tiers would be awesome ;)
  12. KNight

Why? They haven't come close to showing all the units to us yet. The Units seen in the Whitebox pics were only what the bguys are Uber thought were the BARE MINIMMUM in order to start nailing down the core combat gameplay, they will add more as they discover what else is needed via testing and they have stated they plan to create post release content updates, that could include new units as well.

Mike
  13. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

You are probably right - I think I subconciously expected core contigency amounts but of course the original TA had much less units at launch aswell.
  14. rustytl

rustytl New Member

There is also the fact that people will be creating mods to add more units. It may take a bit, but I am sure there will be larger packs with whole factions.
  15. Culverin

If the core engine is good, and the gameplay attractive, it will only won't take long for the Black Ops guys to start pumping out units.
  16. KNight

Except.....I already started........

EDIT: Actually I need to update the First Post, it's missing some of my recent stuff.

Mike
  17. Culverin

I understand that the whitebox aren't all the units.
    But from what Mavor has mentioned, there will be less units than SupCom, number of units, unit power (of HP and dmg) will not be exponential.
    T1 vs T2 isn't a major power difference, but rather more unique abilities.
    This combined with less focus on experimentals (megabots) combined with Mavor's statement of how SupCom was everything + the taco makes me think this is going to be a bit more streamlined.
    So to me, it sounds like it's going to be a bit smaller in terms of variety and exponential-ness.
    But while that is a current worry, I don't intend to be negative of the situation.
    Like I said, if the core of the game is good, it can always be scaled up.

I just wanted to throw it out there that I would like something grand in terms of options on the table. Meaning more units, and more variety of power and more units on the field and more space to play around with.
    Everything in due time. I'm not worried :cool:
  18. KNight

Good news everyone!

I just finished trawling all 84 pages of threads for my Topic Index thread, it took a bit longer than expected, but at last I'm all caught up, so now I'll be focusing on this list! It'll be a bit more awkward for me, as trawling through a user's is awkward at best, but at least I won't need to trawl through the threads individually!

Thanks for your patience.

Mike
  19. infowars

infowars Member

This thread ought to be made into some wiki page, so the discussion and the list of features (what I am interested in, like "Will there be personal and area cast shields?) are easily found.
  20. KNight

You mean the Links alongside most items linking to Dev comments in relevant threads isn't enough?

There is also Searching.

Mike