Confirmed features and suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xedi, August 17, 2012.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I'm sure they'll implement this, but let's get it on the list so we can track the confirmation.
  2. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Two suggestions:

1.The custom missions and campaigns support, I think this is more valuable and cost effective than a campaign.

2.Smart unit fighting, it was mentioned in that Zero-K thread, but seems haven't listed here, units microing themself would really fit a strategic rts game, although it would consume some CPU.
    The way Zero-K implement this is quite simple and generalized (zero-k.info/Wiki/UnitAI), maybe worth for reference.
    Last edited: August 22, 2012
  3. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I really like the idea of this one. Being able to create your own campaigns would be really great.

Maybe there could even be co-op campaigns...?
  4. flashbang232

flashbang232 New Member

What i'd like to also see in here is pathfinding.
    The thing killing ta battles is pathfinding...late game all there is, is MASS hawks cuz they're verrrry good units in groups and with lots of micro.

That being said, pathfinding. What would be done?
    I'm honestly not asking for any flow field bullshit as i dont care, as long as it works really well :)
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I like a lot of the ideas I'm reading here. I'm just starting to get unburied after the laptop death. More comments in a bit.
  6. xedi

xedi Active Member

I added another quote by Neutrino about shields, one about tech tiers, and confirmed shared unit control (after un-confirming it due to previous posts). Also added two suggestions: custom campaigns, and behavioural unit routines.
  7. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Xedi, could you add a link to my post about area commands in the area commands suggestion list item?

It mentions how applying an area to an action would be carried out depending on the action itself along with other important factors.
  8. xedi

xedi Active Member

Done. Also added additional comments by Neutrino about large maps and scalability.
  9. ascythian

ascythian Member

Missiles that run out of fuel like in TA.

Karganeth third party unit from MAD-TA :D
  10. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Neutrino clarified sharing unit modes.

It's really awesome that he's replying so much. This thread is also really going to help answer everyone's questions so he doesn't have to answer redundant forum posts. Thanks for making it, Xedi.
  11. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

12. neutrino

Based on feedback so far multi player saves is going to get bumped up in priority.
  13. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

14. neutrino

And people were questioning going to a client/server architecture ;)
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This requires it's own discussion thread!

EDIT: IT IS DONE!

Mike
  16. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

17. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

18. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

Here's a wacky suggestion I would like to see added to the list: Missile launchers that build structures.

Hear me out...

Imagine something along the lines of a tactical/strategic missile launcher where you give it a build order for a particular structure, then a location where it would go. The launcher then constructs and launches a missile that lands where you selected. Instead of blowing up, the missile plants itself in the ground and the outer shell falls apart to reveal a mass extractor, point defense, etc. in its place.

For larger structures like factories, the missile could plant itself in the ground, have the outer shell fall off, and reveal a nano tower in the center of where the factory should be. The nano tower then constructs the building, and as it does so, it is slowly assimilated into the factory as it builds.

Of course, it should be susceptible to missile defense systems just as tactical/strategic missiles are in SupCom:FA.

It would be an insanely fun and useful way to quickly erect forward firebases and new bases. Hell, if the missiles could travel from a planet to a moon/asteroid/other planet, it would be a fantastic way to quickly terraform new worlds.
    Last edited: August 22, 2012
  19. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Hahaha, make a new thread and find some milder drugs.

Sounds overpowered to me. Why not just use air engineers or send engineers to another planet?
  20. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

Maybe make the cost of a structure "launched" via missile cost a decent amount more than one built by an engineer? You'd pay an extra cost for the convenience and quickness of building through this method. The reason to use this would be to do things quickly without waiting for an engineer to arrive, or possibly to build structures where an engineer could not reach due to being cut off by the enemy.

Also, the only drug I am on right now is Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard Ale :)