Confirmed features and suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xedi, August 17, 2012.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, I can understand that. I just prefer metric across the board. Imperial system has never made sense to me, and the fact that it's what I was taught in school still irks me. I probably also like metric because when I was drag racing as a teen, doing 140mph is a lot more fun when it's in kph. :)
  2. elexis

elexis Member

Poor neutrino grew up in a place where it "feels better" to use a unit of meausrement based on guesstimation miles over kilometres. Ah well...

Here's to the next generation, let they not follow there forefather's footsteps.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I agree with this sentiment. lol.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Lol, most of the world would disagree. I can do the math either way though so no worries.
  5. elexis

elexis Member

Well using wolfram as reference, we have about 7.25 billion people in the world. Of those, the countries (according to wikipedia and some other sites) that still use miles as a unit of measurement total around 459 million people. Which puts them at 6.3% of the world's population.

Small enough for the world to agree with this sentiment I would think. ;)
  6. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

lol I see, well will you make both possible? Well I guess miles will beat the meter at discussion community, because of the bigger englisch community
  7. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

imperial system makes no sense at all. I can understand, if you live your entire life with it, it makes sense, but from a logical point of view, it doesnt make sense. ;)

1000 kg water = 1000 l water = 1000dm^3 water= 1 m^3 water

do this with imperial units :D and even in the US a lot of aerospace companies already started using the metrical system. (probably some others too, but I know about aerospace ^^)

The only thing where all over the world the imperial system is used, is flight altitude, which is always in feet.

concerning the game, i would want to see everything in meters and so on (distance, fire radius and so on)
  8. psychobob3

psychobob3 New Member

i smell a UI mod... ;)
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just to be clear the only units in the game are metric.

Also I didn't grow up with the imperial system as we use metric in Canada. I had to switch over when I moved down here.
  10. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I grew up with SI units and as a student of engineering i have come to the quick conclusion that I utterly despise the SI system.... Metric Factors of ten..... or factors of over complicated, 3 ft to yard..... 5280 ft per mile, 12 inch per ft... ugh...

much easier...
  11. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

As nice as the metric system is, you have to imagine how much effort would go into switching an ENTIRE nation over to that system, especially since the citizens of that nation have grown up with the imperial system. 90% of those people won't care, and would consider it a waste of time and money for the sake of convenience. (Yes, convenience, as many industries in which the metric system is the best solution have already switched over.) That kind of change takes a long time to implement, and considering the question has only become prominent recently, I don't expect the US to change for a while.

I wonder if someone has started a petition for this on the We The People site yet . . .
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The problem with that argument is that it can be used now, or 50 years down the road and you lot are already about as much of an "Imperial" minority as you can be.

Reminds me a lot of arguments about getting rid of the penny! ;p

Mike
  13. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

as a side note it is super easy to intuit metric once you have used it for a bit since you can pick a unit that works on the right scale, m cm dm (=10cm) so on, its just hard to intuit for those that have been using imperial because they have less experience. :)
  14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Do you realise [almost] the ENTIRE planet switched over?
  15. magicide1

magicide1 Member

In Canada we use metric for almost everything. The one major holdout is the construction industry. It's very frustrating having to measure things to the 1/32 or 1/64 when mm would do the job better. Still as long as most of our building supplies are made by US companies it won't be changing. Our CNC machines only recently got a software update to work in metric as they were targeted at a US only market.
  16. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

But WHEN did they switch over? Most countries switched before it became too ingrained into their systems and society. But since this system has permeated the US (and been made even more prolific as it has been adopted in the computer age), the challenge of trying to change it has become very large indeed. I'm not trying to defend it, as I prefer the metric system myself. But it's a hard reality. A big change like this will take a lot of time, simply because the time wasn't taken before now.
  17. arty1234

arty1234 New Member

Eh, start learning metric to this generation right NOW and everything will be fine in 40-50 years. probably sooner.
  18. omelettedufromage

omelettedufromage New Member

19. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

Lets start discussing why English is the international language. Thats always a good internet pointless go no where topic too.
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Humanity had an easier time wiping out smallpox across the entire world than it has getting America off the British imperial system.