Confirmed features and suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xedi, August 17, 2012.

1. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

:mrgreen: A ZEDPM WHERE?!?!?!? I was born in the event horizon of a stargate. No really, my mother gave birth on Abydos and I was born on Earth
  2. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I was sold for this when I saw some former gpg developers were the lead developers of this project.. But now that I know they are well versed gaters I have to donate more money!!! Must give 10,000$ to have a unit named oberoth... Considering we are playing out a war between smart *** self-REPLICATING mechanisms of war!
  3. magicide1

magicide1 Member

You aren't truly Canadian unless z = zed, "u" is added to as many words as possible aka armour, colour, valour and you pronounce Lieutenant as Leftenant.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Uh, that's basically my point, I'm pointing out to gratnw that zed is how we pronounce it as opposed to the 'merica way pronouncing it zee. He said Zed is the same as Zero......

Mike
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, I was distracted, but you know those nutty Canadians.always on aboot something. :D
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

>.>

I got my eyes on you.......

Mike
  7. numlockfaf

numlockfaf New Member

zed= Canadian and English way. (and most country's that speak English)
    Zee= American way, even though they speak ''English''

English is English, not American.

You lose :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yay my first post!!!!
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I was more making an Atlantis joke. I loved the guy with the Canadian flag who called it the Zed PM.

Anyone who reads my blog knows I'm a huge SG-1 fan.
  9. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

I'd like to point out that you lot forgot Australia. We belong in the English, Canadian category.
  10. garat

I was gonna actually post earlier about how we approach the different variants of English from a localization perspective in games. Generally speaking, they get categorized into English, US and English, UK. Talking to most loc experts, the difference between US English and Canadian English is pretty minimal, as is the different between UK English and Australian/New Zealander English. Colloquilaisms vary, and some pronunciations, but from a general understand-ability stand point, they generally only loc to those two. Limiting but it makes sense, I suppose. Since they're just dialects, and frankly, not even close to as different as traditional and simplified Chinese are to each other - though don't get me started on spoken Chinese dialects. I think there are almost as many recognized Chinese dialects as there are languages in most of the rest of the world. Thankfully, I've never had to have a voice localization done for Chinese. I might lose all my hair trying to keep track of it all.

And for the record, Doctor McKay is awesome.
  11. elexis

elexis Member

Biggest difference is the meters and metres and liter and liters, and a few z's become s', from memory anyway.

Also, the American's over-abundant use of archaic and nonsense units of measurement.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Now i really wanna see MALPs and staffweapons ;p
  13. arty1234

arty1234 New Member

I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but I would really like to see some of the small details you had in TA. For instance when a fighter took out another fighter it could sometimes make a barrel roll through the debris. I always thought that looked awesome and has never been integrated in any strategy game that I know of.

Other stuff like submersible aircraft which didn't descend straight up but could actually fly underwater as they took of.
  14. megacy

megacy New Member

Ok, two things. First, there HAS TO BE ARTILLERY, it gives the game more depth and adds an extra sense of urgency, Second if there is artillery(which there needs to be) then there also needs to be missiles, ALL types of missiles. Balistic and Nuclear. Planetary and Inter-planetary. unit killer and base killer. offense and defense. EVERYTHING MUST HAPPEN!
  15. HeadClot

HeadClot Member

Let the modders add that in. :)

Seriously, we need something to do!
  16. Aelreth

Aelreth New Member

Does that mean that the metric system has replaced lat & long?
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

But degrees-minutes-seconds has an advantage in that most of the fractional arithmetic results in whole numbers. It may be archaic, but I don't think it's nonsense.

If metric was good for spherical navigation, it would have become common place in the civilised world. ;P
  18. neutrino

Personally I prefer miles when I'm driving and meters when I'm coding.
  19. garat

You're weird, dude.
  20. neutrino

Keep in mind I've lived in countries that use both. Miles make more sense to me for speed/distance from a human perception level. Powers of 10 works well for computers but it's hard to intuit.