Confirmed features and suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xedi, August 17, 2012.

1. Bpol21

Bpol21 New Member

:idea: Imagine a Star Forge type Factory connected to the sun. It would be one of the most expensive buildings in the game but it would be the fastest working factory in the game only one available in a match at a time. :cool:
  2. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I made a wiki page on wikia:

Planetary Annihilation: Features: Proposed and Confirmed

So we can edit the list directly.

I also just grouped them by ("confirmed", "acknowledged", etc) since stating whether something is a "nice to have" or not is arbitrary.

Xedi, could you update your post to refer to the wiki page?
    Last edited: September 6, 2012
  3. ascythian

ascythian Member

In terms of nukes & anti-nukes I reckon MIRV's [Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle] should get a look in, as I reckon these split nukes would be used in the far robot fighting future.

Also in terms of anti-nuke defences, lasers like a THEL [tactical high energy laser] might be a better [and more futuristic] way of defending against nuclear weapons and possibly shells too. A mirv could be launched but could possibly get around a single thel when it splits into its multiple missiles, however if the thel is close enough it could destroy the mirv warhead before it splits. Nuclear shells? Davy crocketts? Could work alongside shields if they get in.
  4. gavo88

gavo88 New Member

Since PA uses only machines like TA did, it would be nice to see a resurrection unit like the core's Necro.

Wreckage could be reclaimed or revived, also EMP weaponry could be a strategic element. After an EMP blast, all unprotected units in an area would become sitting ducks to be claimed by anyone's resurrection units at a much reduced cost compared to a wreck.

For a PA twist to EMP, nukes could be sent to the local star to initiate solar flares and entire planets could be consumed by the resulting EMP wave.

Also update 6 for metal planets sounds awesome, will we be getting death stars? Unicron?
  5. craigtravers

craigtravers New Member

- Planet Earth
    - 3D Stereoscopic support, 3D TV compatible formats (Side x Side, etc...)
  6. kedrobomb

kedrobomb New Member

REALLY love the Underwater construction and sandbox ideas.
  7. rathik

rathik New Member

good job man
  8. allot

allot Member

You should make something that shows recent changes in the main page.

like if something just got confirmed have a "NEW" tag at it. Until next update.
  9. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but it's a bit tedious. I guess we could do that manually. However, in each subgroup, features are merely added in sequential order, so if you look at the bottom of each list, you'll see what's new. I'll do it next time I add something.
    Last edited: September 6, 2012
  10. dycon

dycon New Member

CUSTOMIZABLE UNITS
    possible customizable units? maybe different health armor values or guns, addons possible? like standard units but add on jump jets or rocket packs? Even if you can't change the stat values maybe possible aesthetic changes like spore creator make your own etc

UNIT CREATOR

make a unit creator to have a player base of rediculous units available to use? since there will probably already be a planet creator. There can even be a checklist of custom units before the battle and allow players to agree or disagree one what units can and cannot be used

ORBITAL MAC CANNONS
    can we have orbital mac cannons and ion cannons if gas giants stretch goal is met please please please please?

METAL PLANETS
    will metal planets be able to function as a giant space station and move about freely and can there be hidden unloackable tech from metal planets that you can only build if you control one? Example like some kind of ancient lost tech super bot? or better weaponry/armor/shield(if there are shields, there should totally be shields, why wouldn't there be shields?) upgrades

SHIELDS
    can we has shields? but not just personal shields, i want to see things like the gungan shields from starwars episode one. and dome shields like in supreme commander. but also make them mobile on units, and possibly not just one pre designated units like a shield generator, but whole armies with tech upgrades to have small domed shields to provide a kind of 'aegis' for those around them in numbers.

MELEE UNITS
    please have melee units!!!!! plasma swords, personal handheld shields, energy katars like zealots form starcraft, just many different legions of fast and visceral little bots that are meant to dice up the enemez in many unique and exotic ways that are a pleasure for the eye to behold

WATER PLANETS
    will water planets have depth? like great underwater battles and building on the ocean floor as well as ontop of water

POSSIBLE FPS ELEMENT
    There was an rts game way back in the day known as machines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machines_%28video_game%29 made back in 1999. There was a VERY unique feature in this game that i would like to bring back to light right now in hopes that maybe, just maybe it will be implemented again. The abillity to control any unit of your army in first person mode. You could actually go down into a unit (ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL as mass effect 2 memes would put it) and play it fps style WHILE the battle was still raging on around you and control this unit to do specific tasks that maybe the AI was not doing correctly or the way you wanted it. Sometimes you also wanted to just control the superbot and go on the rampage personally. It was an amazing feature and i would absolutely LOVE to see it again in a game of this calibre.

DIPLOMACY
    If possible could we have active diplomacy abillity? instead of factions being locked in at the start allow us to change or request truces, war pacts, slavery etc. If i conquer someone can i pact them into being a substate and having allegiance with me and tax them a percentage of their income for myself?

TELEPORTATION
    nuff said
  11. thapear

thapear Member

Please, use proper capitalization. I am generally not a grammar nazi but your post was really hard to read. You're also constantly jumping all over the place: but, like, and, also, or...

This has been discussed at length in other topics, I'd suggest looking at those.
  12. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

13. pipilek

pipilek New Member

THIS IS VERY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  14. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

I think that we are missing the "Multiple commander choices" feature.
  15. xedi

xedi Active Member

Added confirmation of bridges, re-activatable weapons on technological metal planets and templates, info about fluid simulation for water and lava, more info about replays, day/night cycle, shields and space combat, planet masses, and added a link to the wiki page.
  16. Error323

Error323 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a linux using software developer (as many here seem to be) who created an AI for the spring engine. The main focus of the AI was Balanced Annihilation and XTA. And it used to do doing a decent job at it (haven't checked it in a while).

Now my suggestion/question is will PA support an AI API for hobbyists, scientists and developers in general to program against? It would be really awesome to build my own AI and be able to feed it back to the community. Even AI contests can be held. Given that you guys are creating your own AI I would assume that it's not a lot of work to open up the interface?

- Error323

PS Massive hooray for linux support! (Donated $100 for that fact).
    PPS C++ Interface FTW!
  17. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

One thing I like about some games, and would probably be more interesting if error323 gets his wish, would be the ability to run AI only games were the player is a spectator.
  18. omelettedufromage

omelettedufromage New Member

AFAIK Uber is already committed to a sandbox security model for mod code, so raw dynamic loading of compiled binary blob AI libraries like Spring supports (and can afford to do, being foss) probably won't happen either. Would be awesome to see a commercial engine be the (first) exception to the rule though.
  19. japporo

japporo Active Member

Doesn't seem like there's a better thread, so I'll add my top ten list here. Some of them may seem rather strange, though.

1-5) Make PA as awesome as TA and SupCom. :)
    6) Solid skirmish AI for single player. As an older player, I find I have less and less contiguous free time for gaming, so I use the skirmish mode in SupCom a lot.
    7) Good documentation for the modding API.
    8) A code base that's as clean as possible. Many PC games have gradually become unplayable over the years as the operating system and drivers evolved out from under them. Or maybe...
    9) Minimized IP encumbrances for a source release (a la id Software's engine source releases) a decade after PA ships. I'd love to see PA live on forever. (Go ahead, laugh. I can dream, can't I?)
    10) More of Mr. Lowrie as the narrator. The TA intro still gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it. :)
  20. allot

allot Member

This would be awsome. As everyone plays the same faction this would be a cool way to make different players things more unique and easier to identify