Confessions of a Sniper

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by grimbar, February 18, 2011.

1. kingdom

kingdom New Member

I withdraw my idea, i agree with wylie that IF a sniper update is made that his idea's, or at least some of those idea's, would be good as it keeps bot killing up while giving the sniper the ability to retain or make up for what was lost.

And Bro, if the sniper is decent than shouldn't they just head shot the gunner in you know, one hit. From what i am gathering from your statments i feel that you feel like the ability to not body shot fast enough will make the gunner over powered when the key aspect of the rifle is the MASSIVE damage done whilst head shoting. Grimbar nailes head shots all the time and i don't think nerfing the firing speed of rifle by .2s (for bot pushing see wylies's comment) will change the fact that a head shot is a head shot.
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

No but it will change the frequency of me getting headshots.
  3. kingdom

kingdom New Member

Then maybe it's not the sniper that needs the nerF, maybe its GRIM :lol:
  4. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

I do not think you have a good estimation of how TF2 competition played out outside of clear steam roll situations. TF2 has the capability to be so completely one sided that even steam roll games in MNC look like close shaves. In these kinds of cases class lineups do not matter.

This was maybe true before players found how absolutely devastating the demoman is. After about 2-3 months of sniper or demo plus soldiers/scouts/meds it pretty much went away outside very specific circumstances. It just doesn't work in a lot of places regardless of how good a sniper you were, unless there was a *serious* skill differential.
  5. WylieTimes

WylieTimes New Member

When was he used on every standard map to mid?
    Is this before the quickscope nerf or after?

Because since the quickscope nerf, I haven't seen him run at the start of the map often at all. He pretty much anchors down the team and greatly lowers the chance of a Medic pick, while the combo is like "A herrrpp" and spams him, usually ending with him taking a Scattergun to the face after the Medic is dead.

Well is the only one that really comes to mind when it comes to running Snipers at the initial mid battle.

Also, I agree that the Sniper clips in that video are balanced. Thing is, they're post quickscope nerf, with the Sniper dealing with low movement speed and the Bolt Action Rifle.
    The MNC Sniper is of course, far more powerful than the TF2 Sniper.
  6. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

No.

Slow down rate of fire. I buy deploy 3. I have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to undeploy before they can completely bodyshot spam. Hell, I wouldn't need to get up, if a support constantly heals me the sniper wouldn't probably be able to kill me at all.

I'm sure the devs remembered how they made the game, what balance measures they came up with, and how to fix it. I think boltaction might work, except it would have to be like CoD, which means people are going to rage even more on how some classes can eat a OHKO from the body, and others take 2 shots in the body.
  7. Near

Near New Member

If no other game got quickscoping I can't really see why it should remain in MNC. It's completely natural that Snipers refuse to see that it's an exploit and comes with the stunningly frightening threats of leaving the game.

Suggestion: Remove quick-scoping and place it in the deepest hottest part of hell, and buff something else.
  8. grimbar

grimbar New Member

The footage is mixed, contains some modded gameplay among other things. The Sniper always had low movement and bolt action in it, you just stopped seeing him being a staple run to mid after the quickscoping nerf.

He got forced into a niche role after all the nerfs (31.12.2007, 15.01.2008 and 14.02.2008).
  9. WylieTimes

WylieTimes New Member

Though the low ms while scoped was more or less nullified through quickscoping.
    But yeah, agreed, he was forced into the niche - from what I understand, mainly for his lack of maneuverability.
  10. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

WylieTimes and grimbar both seem to have odd understandings of competitive TF2.

grimbar I can maybe excuse as reading incorrectly as he is from Germany under the Euro style, but WylieTimes is quite bizarre.

Very strange claims attempting to portray competitive TF2 coming from both of you to be honest.

Maybe lobby only players? Scrims at low or below?

Snipers don't really exist in TF2 mid fights too often not because of the quickscope wait period but because they have no mobility and are often too much of a liability when initial fighting starts on the point and by the time they get there it's already been decided.

When you actually have snipers on mid fights, it's mostly when there is adequate cover in a position that is reachable in a reasonable time to get some shots on enemies. Freight and Yukon are pretty much the only ones that are actually played that I can think of that fit this mold.

Well isn't played because it is a bad map.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Euro-Style indeed and I am talking about history, not about it's current state where the meta shifted quite heavily towards a faster pace.
  12. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

It meta-shifted because players got faster and effectively removed the advantages of sniper getting to a viable spot quickly enough in most maps.

In other words, players got better overall to a point where sniper wasn't good enough to stick around.

This would occur with or without the quickscoping penalty.

MNC doesn't really have the concept of "faster" to a large enough extent in the maps as well as absurdly long sight distances and angles to shoot from.

EDIT: spelling our -> or.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

I'd consider that a matter of opinion and perspective but we shouldn't pull our hair because of that (I played with some great Snipers pre and post - Shoutout to G1deon -AA- once again).
  14. WylieTimes

WylieTimes New Member

Uh...

I think you might be misinterpreting what I'm saying...
    Because I'm pretty much saying what you're saying XP

Or at least I think I am.
  15. GheP

GheP New Member

Let me guess, you used to play counter-strike? Quickswitch was taken out and I was sad many years ago
  16. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Awp body shot, to deagle body shot..

there was a reason they took it out, but we all missed it.
  17. grimbar

grimbar New Member

I never played counter-strike except for that one LAN.