Confessions of a Commander

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, February 13, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

It all started so well.
    A bit of light banter in the lobby, waiting for a 2 v 2 game. The amiable chatter that lightens the mood in preparation for the game ahead. At last, a 4th player, to join me on a single lava planet to work against a team who regularly fight together.
    Alas, a sign of things to come, I am booted unceremoniously to nothingness. Closing, restarting and reconnecting, I am met with the depressing sight of two commanders, but no team mate. I decide to make the most of it, play my best, see what I can do.
    The match begins in earnest, I start out with a pair of bot factories, begin the war machine. A few minutes in, I am met with the chat text "No SPAM". Confused, I ask "In what sense, good Sir?". A line is drawn, where no man shall construct masses of the same unit and swarm the opponent's base.
    Thus, 5 minutes later, I send a small contingent, comprising a herd of 20 Doxen and a smattering of anti air bots, to scout the enemy base. To my surprise, I am met with little resistance, and rampage through a small portion of the base. Then, "WE SAID NO SPAM", to which I begin retreating my units, somewhat confused by the definition of "a lot" of units. This is followed by the assertive protestation of a commander deletion. I am taken aback, and try to make reparations "I'm sorry, I didn't think that was spam". Initially bitter, things settle and the remaining commander agrees to stay and finish the match "we aren't (cats)".
    The match continues, and I gently pose the question, "if not spam, then what?". Apparently, it matters not, SPAM is back on, although uncertainly. Minutes pass, my machine continues to spew forth the mechanical hordes of war. Then, another posit..."No nukes, they are way OP". This causes dismay, as I had scouted the enemy and observed an anti nuke, so assumed the nuclear war was afoot. Thus, a cohort of nuclear missile launchers is fabricated and hard at the task of creating weapons of mass destruction.
    The match continues, with some light skirmishes, and an embarrassing moment where I mistake catapult fire for orbital lasers, and so switch all resources to anti orbital, only to realise after half of my base is cremated.
    Resolute, I begin afresh in another area, with T2 power and bot factories a plenty. The lines become blurred, and I know longer remember whether nukes or spam were allowed. Madness sets in. I build 4 glorious nuclear missiles and launch them into the heart of the enemy base. As I watch the beautiful, poetic cylinders trail through the sky, I try and recall....nukes...no nukes....spam...no spam...My wistful self reflection is cut short by the noise of a quartet of massive explosions. Silence...the dust settles...."WE SAID NO NUKES".
    My response, fatigued and ambivalent..."Argh, seriously? Fine, I concede".
    I beat a hasty retreat, guilt-ridden, ashamed, enthralled.

To RoboticArm and Cream (i think), I'm sorry I ruined your game.

Anyone else, feel free to share your confessions here.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol... When anyone starts a game with 'no xxxx' then I'm pretty much ready to leave. What that really translates to is 'no winning' lol.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

The worst part was, these things were decided IN GAME. So I@m going for one tactic, then having to adapt on the fly to arbitrary restrictions. I didn't mind, I guess, but it didn't end well. So maybe, in future, I will make sure everyone knows what's what before the match begins.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha you're too nice. I would have just loled and spam away.
    cptconundrum and drz1 like this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude I'd have replied "No SC crybabies" and brought on the pain if I were you.
    Gerfand and drz1 like this.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

LOL, this game is so messed up, a person is considered "nice" for quadruple nuking somebody. LOVE IT.
    iron420 likes this.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

To be fair, at the point of nuking, the game had just turned into catapult creep. Which was dull as dishwater.
  8. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

This type of thing makes me giggle. And then I simcity to hell and back and steam roll with 1000 units. "SPAM?Me?NEVER!" :D

and then I giggle like a geisha. or multinuke, or Death from above. That's always awkward when you don't know what it is.

I hate stupid restrictions like this. And all it makes me do is want to do them more, if they want to play like that they need to state it pre-game.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

The feels... :,(
    drz1 likes this.
  10. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Or, this is not SC, this is PA(and then kick him from the server)
    drz1 likes this.
  11. jeffwadsworth

jeffwadsworth Member

Well, I am in the lol and ratchet up the pain with whatever was outlawed. They'll never expect it.
    drz1 likes this.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Arbitrary rules are fine and can even make the game more fun sometimes. People just need to remember to make it clear before the game starts. Any agreements made after the commanders land are non-binding and should be broken at the right time for epic lulz.
    drz1 likes this.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

EXCEPT T2 BOMBERS

We can live without those.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  14. sypheara

sypheara Member

You should have spammed them with as many nuclear missiles as you had the resources to build :p
    iron420 and drz1 like this.
  15. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I'm surprised no one else has a similar story of woe...
  16. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I just don't share them LOL
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Sharing is good. It helps you heal.
  18. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Remember the old days of pelter spam, when the pelter and catapult reigned supreme?

Well I was playing a FFA, and in lobby, we all agreed not to build any artillery of any kind. I was looking forward to an exciting match of unit-based strategy.

All went well for the first 15 minutes, good raiding back and forth, friendly threats and banter flying between the 5 players.

Then, without warning, my most dire fears were realised: my base was taking hits from a catapult. And before long, several more started firing: of the 3 players nearby ALL of them had built catapults, hidden away in the centre of their bases. All of them had broken our covenant independently.

To cut a long story short, I raged at them, called them out as the honour-less dogs they were, and quit after losing 3/4s of my base to artillery creep.

Agreements like that are fine, but they should be made before the game starts and people should bloody well stick to them.
    drz1, lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  19. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Agree to nothing. Crush them, like Pepsi-can.
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I only make rules with Realm pals now. Or folks from other clans. Never randoms - you just dont know whats going to happen