Comparaison between TA and Supcom closed view

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by torrasque, September 9, 2012.

1. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

TA had a large variety of unit sizes itself. I mean seriously, compare a flea to the Krogoth, or even better, a Warlord or Colossus. The size difference is huge. I do think SupCom overdid it a bit, but only because the smaller units went into strategic icons before you could even get zoomed out enough to get a good view of your experimental ones.
  2. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I agree with all of the above post.

The most major issue is what units look like from top down view.

I don't play SupCom, but apparently serious SupCom players never even see their units, because they just use 2d icons all the time. This is because the art style in SupCom made the top down view TERRIBLE. It was impossible to distinguish the small units from one another at any practical zoom. They had poor contrast with the terrain and because of the huge size differences between units, most of the units were too small to see anyway.

There's just no point in having a great model, textures, and animations, and then only ever using a 2d green icon.

The cartoon art style of PA and bright colours shown in the concept video gives me hope that this issue will be much improved. However the profile of any unit when viewed from the top should be considered for recognition, as should the size range, LOS, and weapon ranges of all units in the game (less extreme size range = more playable game).

TA was really good where this was concerned and I think the fact that you could be at a playable zoom and still see characterful units fighting battles on your screen is one reason why TA is still so well regarded today.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

... I actually wrote some wall of text again with specific answer, then I decided to show a SupCom:FA video as example of how the scale looks awesome and now I decided to delete all my text and just show the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8zi_NHpYo

The scale looks epic, doesnt it?

I just cant get you people. SupCom:FA has a perfect scale :p

You just have to accept that playing the game does not equal watching it.
    Cause watching it can look epic, if you are able to play around with the camera...
    Playing it however needs to be effective. Symbols and high zoom-levels are effective.
  4. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

This. Play the game first using basically the icon view.

After the game, watch the replay and zoom in with the space bar swoop view to watch the awesome battles! Best of both worlds! Although admittedly it takes twice as long, better than making everything the same size just so you can see them while you play. Doing that you lose the strategic scale IMHO
  5. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I have never watched a replay in my life.

I want to be able to play a game with robots in, not icons of robots.

This thread needs a poll.
  6. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Not watching replays is a good way of becoming a poor player. There'll always be people who beat you, and you probably won't know why you lost while you're playing.
  7. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

In some games, (like DoW), there is a Save replay button at the end of every match. It could be useful there. :)
  8. PKC

PKC New Member

I don’t play supcom, but im more than happy to talk utter nonsense about it in lieu of actually having a f’n clue.

Why is this forum so full of bads?
  9. zordon

zordon Member

This.
  10. w00j

w00j New Member

Completely 100% agree.

I dont want to play with icons and be disadvantaged for doing so.
    PA should use a zoom system which once you zoom out to a certain point, units disappear and base locations show up as icons. Infact exactly how it is portrayed in the gameplay visualisation video.
  11. zordon

zordon Member

Oh even better, lets display no units at zoom. Of course.

[​IMG]
  12. PKC

PKC New Member

this post is bad and you should feel bad for making it.
  13. erastos

erastos Member

Are you seriously suggesting removing the ability to control units past a certain zoom level? Arbitrary UI limitations are horrible, PA needs a more powerful UI than TA or supcom. And "because it isn't as pretty" is an unbelievably terrible reason to cripple the UI.
  14. w00j

w00j New Member

Yes. I dont find playing with icons or incredibly small units fun. Part of the reason I didn't like SupCom as much as TA is because I had to spend half my time zoomed out so far to remain competitive.

I pledged based off what I saw in the gameplay visualisation trailer, and to me that looked perfect (except for the swirly rivers).
  15. PKC

PKC New Member

LOL. stop making excuses, clearly you sucked at supcom. nobody forced you to play zoomed out to "remain competitive". what a crock.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Nothing in FA stops you from playing the way you want. That is what is great about Strat Zoom, you can play at whatever zoom level you want.

Frankly it sounds like Starcraft or DoW might be a better game for you.....

Mike
  17. w00j

w00j New Member

This is a spiritual successor to TA is it not?

And yes I own both Starcraft and DoW..... and every other rts.
  18. PKC

PKC New Member

herzog zwei? yeah didn't think so, noob! :p
  19. w00j

w00j New Member

wtf is your problem? are you like 12?
  20. PKC

PKC New Member

it was a joke.