Communications..again.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Pawz, October 1, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I think it's a simple oversight by Uber to not include such a simple note in the release notes - after all, they probably feel they've done enough to communicate, what with the random hints and stuff that do little else but build up needless excitement for something that should have it's own personal HYPE TRAIN without encouragement.

Note to Interwebs: I'm a White Male. Don't drop hints. Hit me in a face with a frying pan in the shape of the word OFFLINE MODE NEXT WEEK.

Uber pls.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The OP fails on a single point.

That single point is presuming that because Uber are working on achievements, they are therefore working on absolutely nothing else and everything else will be delayed as a consequence.

If the OP does not, in fact, believe this, this thread becomes utterly redundant because he or she should be able to entertain the notion that an announcement about one feature doesn't mean that other features aren't being worked on.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Thank god! Logic!

I see that type of "complaint" far too often. Every time a new Star Citizen video pops up half the comments are just "omg stop with the videos and make the damn game" despite the fact that if they did stop putting out videos people would complain they aren't being transparent enough... ARRGH!!

/rant.

Probably also worth adding that it doesn't exactly take a lot of time or resources to make achievements and I'm sure they stole borrowed took inspiration from the achievement threads to community created and filled.
    Last edited: October 1, 2014
  4. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

It doesn't matter what you do, you always will have people who dislike your decision, but to come back to your example, we can agree that having videos is better than not having videos, right?
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh indeed. Especially since they're all amazing. I don't watch the interview ones like Around the 'Verse and Ten for the Chairman but I'm sure plenty of good information gets out that way. I remember flicking through AtV once and I saw one of the devs modelling something, just explaining what he was doing that day at that time. It's good to see.
  6. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

totally agree. In regards to PA, I suck up every tiny bit of information and it makes happy to read something new, even though it's painful to wait for the new stuff. I really would welcome to see more of what's going on in the Uber offices.
  7. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

How about a stickied FAQ - they keep the build tracking thread updated well enough, just putting the same effort into an FAQ could solve a host of issues and clam the seething masses.

Knight's earlier features thread did the trick way back when and was right for the time, we need an updated equivalent. I lack the knowledge and nominate @brianpurkiss

Who seconds the motion?
  8. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I second this notion, @brianpurkiss
  9. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Come on, that's almost bad child-logic. An update only mentioning steam community stuff means only steam community stuff is in the works?

How about there is just nothing to say about offline mode? Frankly, Trading Cards won't take new artwork anyway, and regarding this specific case, offline even isn't done by artists.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

What can you do? People are quite childish & seem to lack the restraint neccessary to not prove just how much so.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

we really should have a counter for this. I feel like it's more than legitimate and it's gotten to that point. Forums should not be this lock-happy and shouldn't be our responsibility how lock happy they are. Even if we are the ones getting the thread locked.

what I mean by this freedom of speech should prevail over having a nice neat & tidy forum.

Moderator: don't try and bypass the word filter.
    Last edited by a moderator: October 1, 2014
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes we need a little java widget at the top of the forums :p
  14. cwarner7264

I've tried numerous times to encourage threads like this to head in a positive direction, but the forum as a whole seems incapable of discussing communication without the thread becoming toxic. There's irony in that somewhere.

This one seems okay for now, apart from being a reworded repost of a locked thread. It'll only get locked if it goes the same way as the others have so far.
  15. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

@cwarner7264 Well hopefully it stays on track this time :p.

Incorrect. And, sadly, you missed the point of my post entirely. By posting the way they did, they have implied (whether true or not) that they don't believe it's important enough to address the concerns of the community with so much as a nod to what people are asking.

What's do you think the response would be to these two examples:

Option 1: We are releasing this cool new feature in the patch today! Check it out!

Option 2: We are releasing this cool new feature in the patch today! We're still hard at work on offline mode but it's not quite ready yet!

Option 1 - Well, we have what we have today - threads littered with stupidity like 'Stop working on bling and get us offline!'. I kind of find that to be a less than useful interaction between devs and players.

Option 2 - we get confirmation that they still think offline is important and it's development is progressing full speed ahead, and discussion can be had on the new feature. Yeah, maybe for some it's good enough to hear something 4 weeks ago and hold it to be true forever, but for the rest of us, it's good to re-affirm where priorities are in an industry where priorities are regularly shuffled around.
    vyolin likes this.
  16. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I can't be incorrect because I'm simply pointing out the existing flaws in your logic. I only derive a single conclusion from this observation, which you can refute if you want (it's my last paragraph).

They haven't implied anything. You made that implication. You made it up. Completely.

Do you understand this? You're only proving my points further. You for some reason don't believe that Uber are capable of working on more than one thing at a time.

Because if you did believe this, you wouldn't need an announcement telling you that.
    squishypon3 and igncom1 like this.
  17. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

Well played sir.

Can it be stickied, updated, and locked to prevent derailment? I think, maybe naively, an official one would alleviate much of the shenanigans (justified and unjustified) and provide a happier first welcome for newbies.
  18. cwarner7264

It currently is stickied. See "The Useful Thread Sticky Compilation" at the top of General Discussion.

As to it being updated, that's a question for Brian. I don't think locking it would achieve much, since the useful content is all on the first page in any case, with the rest being suggestions.
  19. speedem0n

speedem0n New Member

Sorry, but waiting until after you've turned your hype into an unmitigated sh!tstorm to go into media blackout mode is a d!ck move. Fanboy about it all you want, but Uber's silence isn't helping anything, especially PA and its community.
    Chemdude8 and KNight like this.
  20. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

I think I'll leave this here, taken from the Kickstarter Basic page.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter basics#faq_41859

It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated. If a creator is making a good faith effort to complete their project and is transparent about it, backers should do their best to be patient and understanding while demanding continued accountability from the creator.