Commanders and what we know so far.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, January 31, 2013.

1. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Different Uber-Cannons will be :eek: too see on the battle field. :D can't wait to see how this will end up being game changing in combat.

+1 for more Uber-Cannons
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

uhhhhh no. you could convert an engie of another race to your team and build all their tech with it, sure you couldn't get their commander, ...but you could get their support commander with it's upgrades :D
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So you start out by saying he's wrong, and then say he's right?

Mike
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I hope Neutrino sticks to his guns on this. I like they way hes got it!
  5. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

simple commander differences or pickable uber cannon would not infuleunce end gameplay but would indeed allow players to alter thier commander use strategies.

my impression would be atleast 2 kinds of uber cannon,
    1, One that shoots like the current one, in a straight line destroying all in its path.
    or
    2, One that is lobbed like a grenade/mortar missing units and building on its way to its destination and having a small/meduim area of effect to its impact explosion.

Maybe that too is more than what neutrino is planning,
    But i think that alone if balanced well would not impact the overall end funtionality or power of a commander.
    I think it would give extra strategy to commander use.
  6. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

After watching ZaphodX's incredibly (and unexpectedly since I'm usually not fond of watching others play) entertaining videos, I learned one thing about commanders. They're absolutely essential in an early game confrontation, as they soak up a lot of T1 damage, thus providing cover to their own units.

Because of this players send them in when they need a fight won, and then many times they confront another commander. I'm not sure how this would be affected by asymmetrical commanders with different abilities, as if taken too far, early fights like this would be won by the person who picked a better commander.

Now giving something to commanders to make them usable late-game would be good though, as currently, when one reaches T2 and nukes, you just start parking it under an anit-nuke+umbrella combo so you don't get sniped, so they just become the biggest weakspot in your game.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

popededi, keep in mind that is Currently, new units and balancing could shift that.

Also the Commander is your primary expansion tool in regards to multiple planets/moons/asteroids so while he becomes a combat liability later on he still has utility in expansion.

Mike
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

So if anybody finds this PSA you would notice information about the Delta commander who gets it isn't there. Any kickstarter backer who pledge at $90 or more you get a Delta commander. Any pre-order who ordered cosmic digital edition (formally $90 now is $199) or cosmic limited edition ($250) you get a Delta commander.

Note: pre-ordering from steam, origin, humble store, and/or uber store is a pre-order. That's including pre-ordering from the humble store or origin.

ref:
    Kickstarter Update #20: Meet the Delta Commander - BACKER REWARDS
    Where You Can Buy Planetary Annihilation, And What You Get
    https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4
    https://www.origin.com/en-ca/store/buy/192267/mac-pc-download/base-game/warfare-edition-ANW.html
    edit: added quote and additional references as well as places to purchase.
    Last edited: February 28, 2014
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike,

While I agree that a great many elements of the game are yet to be reach their final state, I'd still rather send a couple expendable T1 fabbers as expansion tools than the commander, unless I'm absolutely sure I'm not presenting it for the enemy to snipe.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, and I'm darned sure it'll be great, as greater minds than myself are working hard at it.