Commanders and what we know so far.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, January 31, 2013.

1. Consili

Consili Member

Nowhere has it been said that the combination of abilities taken from the palette will be unique for custom commanders either. We don't know how large the pool of abilities is and we do know that there are going to be a good number of commanders. For all we know there could even be more commanders than ability combinations, more commanders may be added post release.

It has been repeatedly stated that custom or limited commanders will not gain any advantage over commanders which are publicly available. I am not sure where the following was said specifically as this debate has raged across several threads, but as I understand it there is every reason to expect that publicly available commanders will have the same ability combinations as custom commanders.

The fact is that we need more information before judgements can be made. Rather than rehashing debates back and forth which I'd wager have been exhaustive, I would be inclined to wait until more information has been released by Uber. Particularly given it is an issue which you yourself said would have a very low impact regardless.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually.....

Bolded for Emphasis.

So all in all, Neutrino's already got your concerns covered explosionface.

With only 5-7 abilities per slot, you more or less end up with a MAX of 49 different Combos(assuming 5-7 per slot) and there could be less for all we know yet, so even IF all those Combos aren't available in Stock Commanders at launch, it more than likely that some of the Custom(1K and Up backers) or Special 'Reward'(Alpha, Progenitor, Theta, Delta) Commanders might still have the same ability Combo as the 'Stock Commanders to boot, and over time they'll fill out the commander roster to boot.

Mike
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

... I love how everyone assumes that custom commanders will even be able to choose individual skills instead of a few different "complete" skill sets.
  4. KNight

I love how you assume you're right and everyone is wrong, when you are just as likely to be wrong, Neutrino has said that 1K and up backers will be able to pick, but he hasn't stated exactly what is being picked, also technically if all possible combos are available as Stock Commanders, technically a Custom would be able to "pick" and 2 abilities they wanted no?

Mike
  5. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Wait, im assuming that im in right where?

I didnt make a single assumption in my post.

My point was "why do people assume so much and then use it as fact and panic" not a assumption that you wont be able to choose invidual skills.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Because it's the internet, and has been a staple of television+political debate for the vast majority of many people's lives. Eventually, you get a generation that somehow thinks rabid rambling is just how the world works.
  7. KNight

So why not just say "What if......." Who knows, maybe there is a reason you don't know about that leads to make that "assumption".

Mike
  8. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

As long as its a assumption and people present it as fact, its basicly misinformation. I strongly dislike misinformation.

If i hade missed a update or something that hade made it confirmed info then i would very likely be corrected and after checking said info i would have to apologise for being misinformed.

But i will continue to stomp out misinformation wherever i find it even if i may be corrected and have to apologise once or twice, just becuse i strongly dislike misinformation.
  9. Vieral

Vieral New Member

since this sort of fits this topic, I'll put this here. sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

what do we know of the commanders, cosmetically? because honestly, I'm kinda itching to see what they're planning, appearance-wise. also: does each custom commander get their own name? >.> and can you tell which commander is selected by another player in the game lobby? on a final note: who else thinks the name ''Omega Commander'' would make a nice 'dev team/$1000 USD backers only' commander?
  10. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

I interpreted neutrino's posts as sort of stating that the Commander you choose is the ability combination. The only difference for backers is the number of special skins they have. To put it another way, what backers get are special/unique LOOKING commanders, whose abilities are solely based on the 'real commander' you choose.

There may be different visual looks for normal/public commanders, but backers get to choose to override a commander's look to one of their options, like custom or Theta
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Done it :3

Ah,the wonders of being a modder XD
    [​IMG]
    (Note: Not an official commander. It is of my own creation)
  12. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I believe the commanders abilities were linked to their skin, this way your opponent would know what to expect from your choice of commander, which then ties into the "factions" being different commander setups instead of unit sets.

Also thats a nice looking commander but perhaps a touch to battle tech for me personally... also you shoot the weakpoint for massive damage.
  13. KNight

More or less, Each commander has a specific pair of abilities set to it, with no option to ever change it.

Yup, hopefully in the lobby it will not only show the commanders chosen by the players, but also show their abilities as Icons with the option of mouse-over type tool-tips appearing to fully describe them.

Mike
  14. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

So I'm taking a wild guess here but.

Somewhat like LoL's side-ability loadouts?
  15. KNight

I've never played LoL so I can't comment on that.
  16. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

Perhaps some pics might help convey my thoughts (Focus on the spell sub-window):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Err, sorry about the size no spoiler tags I guess.
    Last edited: March 26, 2013
  17. KNight

Sorta I guess then, but you don't pick for PA, the Commander and it's Abilities come as an immutable Package.

Mike
  18. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

So what about the TEUFEL and P Commanders? were they completely scratched out? are they still in development? or were they custom made commanders for early-backers right from the start?
  19. KNight

The TEUFEL? Wasn't that Fan Art? And the P commander as well?(Based on Portal if I recall?)

Don't expect too much on the full range of Commanders so early on, compared to regular units they take much much longer to create all the assets for, All you need is a couple whitebox models to begin testing arguably infinite commanders, as opposed to regular units where each is more unique.They did work for some of the 'bonus' commanders as they were needed to 'sell' them.

Mike
  20. Consili

Consili Member

I remember it the same way, it was made by a fan wanting to emulate the art style that Uber was using for Commander concepts. They may well have been concepting for their own custom commander if they pledged at that level but I am not sure if that was the case.