Com drop in tournament on the 1st?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 20, 2014.

?

Com drop rush?

1. yes

47.5%
  2. no

52.5%
  1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I may have a cheap defense against commanders now. Still need to try it out, but it might work if you combine it with other things.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Vehicle factory is still more expensive than bot factory. Not sure. ... are massive tank armies viable this build?
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes allow it. We are not far in enough to justify any "this is imba" bans. Yes it might force air first. So what? The game might have changed so much that we will need to go air first anyway.
    reptarking, Clopse and matizpl like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I voted yes for the reasons reptarking outlined.

From my very limited experience so far: yes. Tanks are viable once more.
  5. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'd definitely say tank armies are viable. With infernos in the mix to tank damage a tank army can eat an equal cost bot force for breakfast and still have room for base defences.

For the first time I'm genuinely thinking about whether I want to build a bot or tank factory when I'm setting up lots of production.

As for the original question, I'd say allow it for the reasons outlined above. Although if no one's found a counter by the time of the tournament I kinda imagine there isn't one to find.
    Quitch likes this.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Teleportation happens halfway into a long game. Nothing in the game starts with it. You practically start a game with T1 transports.

Transporting Commanders in TA and Supcom was always a shitty ordeal. Now in PA it is not only expected, but required to move across worlds. Fortunately we already have two factors to shut down Comm movement:
    1) The Comm is a seriously huge and heavy unit.
    2) The Comm has a strong expectation of being moveable with an Astreus.

So if you really hate hauling the Commander around 2 minutes into the game, make it too big for a standard transport. That's not such an unreasonable deal, because we still have an Astreus to move around big things. Comm hauling with an Astreus takes more money and a lot more effort.

Instagibbing transport units (especially the Commander) is still a pretty shitty deal. Not everything has to be hauled a dozen miles in the sky to be airborne.
    Basically this. Forcing the kid to smoke the whole box of cigarettes isn't the parenting move of the year, but it gets the point across.

Go nuts. Show what PA can do. Paying $50 to find the most hilariously broken strategy in PA is a gentlemanly incentive.
    aevs, cola_colin and godde like this.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Heck yes they are. its the only way to go. Air transports neglect the speed of bots :)
    Why not add a speed mutliplier for transports? That way they are heavier when lifting a unit. Maybe it could be based on metal cost per unit......
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Definitely should not be banned. The tournie is a week away, which is long enough for everyone to try the new build enough to at least encounter people transport rushing. I'd like to see how a multitude of people come up with variations for offense and defense.

Yes it may disrupt the tournament considerably, and maybe not. Let it play out.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

That's certainly a possibility. But in-game math is extremely damaging to a clear UI. It's not a good idea to tie completely unrelated things to the same metric, and it's worse to have the same unit behaving differently with every single cargo option in the game. Consistency is good.

The Commander already has a dedicated transport. Let him use it. Instead, buff the regular transport to help regular units move around more. Lower the cost, increase the health, haul some boats, maybe even drop the speed if it proves a bit much. We all know the T1 transport is going to be useless the instant a unit cannon or teleporter hits the field, anyway.
  10. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

I havnt played against it yet, but if its as strong as people say it is, how is this any different to banning walls merely because they had too much hp?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

useless in what way? dont expect the teleporter to stay as cheap as it is, and dont expect the unit cannon to be cheap, or be able to fire at the planet its already on. All 3 units should serve different purposes, and if uber arent idiots (which afaik they arnt), it should be impossible to **** it up.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

back then Uber was not very active about balancing stuff. Also the wall ban was something I came up with after people showed me that back then due to a combination of fire priorities and wall hp you could build walls spread over a place, so that you can still move around but enemies will mostly shoot at walls while your units shoot at the enemy. It was broken not only by balance but also due to broken targetting of units.
    PA is past that point now. We have Uber working on real balance now. So we should try to abuse what they give us as much as possible.
    Quitch and shootall like this.
  13. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Leave it in, comm rush has been allowed in previous tournaments no reason to remove it now
  14. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yea Wtf I voted no in a sense to keep it in but kiwi is right very confusing and taken either way......
  15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

leave it in, i dont think it's op at all, just think it forces people to go air first. so lets see what fun we can have with air first games for a while :D
  16. z32

z32 New Member

What happens when the guy who isn't going for a com rush starts air factory first and builds a single air-to-air fighter?
  17. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I think it'd be a great forum to test out how OP it is, and even if not OP, how much it may or may not constrict gameplay/strategies/fun. Of course with some money on the line that may lead to some hard feelings...
  18. Tripax

Tripax Member

I think the money on the table would just make people more inventive and try harder to counter it for real.

Also, not everyone will have the perfect rushing strategy, we could learn a thing or two (-:
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Either he sees the transport in time and kills it, or he doesn't and loses. You can get a few fighters up before the drop if you play it right, so it might not be so bad if you go all defense. You can also get bombers up and bomb his energy if he comes at you, but neither option is as reliable as just comm rushing. t1 bombers are good enough now that you can use them for early raiding against fabbers, so you can at least make good use of them if you live long enough.
  20. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

My three cents:
    1. Allow it.
    2. Call the tournament "Comm Rush Tournament" or “Comm Drop Tournament”
    3. Lower the cash prize to $20 for winner. That is enough reward for comm rushing 5 games.
    Just make the best of the build we have, let's not have any restrictions again = we are testing the game on the competitive level. But let's not toss our money on broken tournaments, save them for something more important.

D-d-d-d-drop the comm …. I mean bass.
    Last edited: February 21, 2014