Client Or Server

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by stylisticsagittarius, March 7, 2015.

1. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

Good day,

What is EXACTLY the difrence between server mods and client mods?
    I know client mods are the ones who are for you and you alone and can always be used without changing any REAL thing to the game

and server mods more generaly alter the game so things really change.

Why am i asking this?

I tried to creat a client mod that makes the tactical missle bot fire at orbital first before firing to land (vanilla is opposite) But appearantly this can only be achived in server mods, so...

Where exactly lies the line between server and client mods?
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well mostly anything that alters the UI HTML, CSS and JS files are going to be client side mods except for a few things that are controlled by the server.

Basically anything that changes how units behave is going to be a server mod. Just think "Is this mod going to give me an unfair advantage if i'm able to use it by myself?" If the answer is yes, then it's likely going to be a server mod.
  3. stylisticsagittarius

Hmm i tought since i can also achieve this by targeting the missle bot to orbital manually it could be done in client mod. Some of the client mods also give you a questionable unfair advantage.

But is there somewhere a list of some sort wich has all the command lines wich are server bound or something alike?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If you are modifying unit behavior, it's server.
    If you are modifying unit appearance, it's client.
  5. stylisticsagittarius

Hmm that sounds logical...
    Still not always since you would think mods like making buildings build in sphere or line would change. or the auto build mnod wich makes factory's start building automaticly would also fall under unit behavior so it's not always easy to see the line. But thanks anyway