Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I will clarify in the rules that it means no player requested rehosts.

I'm trusting in clans to be communicating internally about such things. I would assume voice chat will be utilised by everyone.

We should probably just make the button more visible.
    Last edited: August 25, 2014
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not sure I understand the need to use Mumble and IRC as meeting places?

Surly information can be relayed to exodus on the IRC channel? I think having 2 meeting places is counter productive.

The 'official color combinations' is a bit draconian is it not? Are we making rules up for the sake of it here?

Edit: Additional thought: With respect to re-hosts, I wonder if spawns should be a consideration when not using 'spawn anywhere' (also you need to tweak the line in 'Game Setup' as it's currently written 'Spawn anyway') as the metal distribution can get *significantly changed* between builds of the game. A home system that was perfect at the start of the season could develop problems later (as has happened with some of the older maps). Also are edits allowed to a home system?
    Last edited: August 25, 2014
  3. Quitch

We can't communicate with in-game players through IRC, but we don't want to do general communication through a voice medium. We may find IRC is completely unnecessary and drop it, but on the other hand that relies on clans remembering to pick a liaison and I don't expect that to happen every time.

It's our first season and we're playing it safe. We'll refine how this works based on this season.

• It's to ensure strong contrasts to make it easier for spectators to see what's happening. Remember that that stream will be downscaled due to viewer bandwidth constraints. Try making out black symbols for the black player on a downscaled video.
    • It eliminates the biggest problem colour combinations for colour blind viewers.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Kneejerk reaction - what's to stop this being the best of each clan always playing so other players don't get a look in? Why should everyone else bother signing up? Even if 1 or 2 people aren't available there will likely only ever be 2 or 3 player variation, especially for clans like RLM

I didn't join RLM for it to be 'clan-ificated' :/
  5. Quitch

That's for clans to resolve internally.
    Bsport and proeleert like this.
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Why would a clan sacrifice it's standing in the league just to give players who will not as likely provide a win a go? Especially in a "competitive" e-sports scene. ¬_¬
    Precisely why I was against signing up for this, but given I would have had beatings from a certain WrongCat I gave in.

Meh.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. cdrkf

I think the thing you need to remember Marshall- with *shared army's* the 'best' players are not necessarily the same as the top 1 v 1 crowd. To give you an example, in Promethean we often play internal team games against each other, and I've often won playing with some other more junior members against our 'top' set. The point is playing *well together as a team* and thinking *strategically* (especially where maps are more than just a single planet moon biome) can swing the game. 1 v 1 games don't really give you as much room for more tactical play and favor aggression and suppression of 1 base.

Basically I think if you got yourself a sub team of RLM players together and practice a bit you might find you could beat the 'top set' just by playing a better team game (as the shared teams to offset APM gaps quite nicely). The 3 v 3 tournament I held did highlight that the '3 towers' despite being very strong wasn't invincible, basically Custard saved them on several occasions and although they won it could have gone either way several times.

Edit: One other thought, there may well be advantages to changing teams up between matches as certain players tend to have certain strategies they like to use. If a team *always plays the same players* they will get very predictable very quickly which is an almost surefire way to loose.
  8. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I think his point is more along the lines of "setting a limit of 1 team per community is silly".

If all realm members wanted to play in this tournament, even if a limit of one game per person was set, there would still be members who would never get a chance to play.

I am under the impression that this is aiming to be fun community tournament, rather than a tournament to rank communities/clans. That is why I would suggest allowing more than 1 team per community.
  9. cdrkf

I think its intended as an official framework for clan matches- as for clans entering more than one team, I'm not sure how that would work? Basically the current set up means each clan gets points for a win, irrespective of whos playing. If you make it multiple teams, then the members of said team have to be the same, as it would be unfair for a clan to gain additional points by having multiple teams.

Maybe we could work in some side matches as part of this? Or even qualifiers for clans with more than 4 members?
    Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  10. Quitch

This particular series will remain one clan, one team. That doesn't mean the team is fixed, anyone on the roster can play and its up to a clan to decide how it wants to tackle this. Every event has a home and an away match, there's no reason it has to be the same players for both.

We chose this format because team tournaments are difficult to arrange, have had incredibly low sign ups in this community compared to other formats, and are particularly vulnerable to no shows. A clan tournament with rosters helps resolve all these issues while at the same time adding some stakes that don't exist for teams created for a specific event. We want this to be a team event that's about the teams not the individuals, and hopefully encourage further growth in the clan scene.

Will everyone get to play? Probably not, but there'll be plenty more tournaments in the future. At the end of the day we're trying out new things and seeing what works.
    cdrkf, Bsport and cptconundrum like this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I am fully expecting the bigger clans to have some internal tournaments to try to figure out who can play. I would be surprised if we didn't get to see at least some of those on Twitch because they will probably be a lot of fun. It will be interesting to see how each clan goes about picking their teams because it seems like there is already a lot of speculation about what will work best.

Do you just have 1v1 tournaments to pick the best players? The top people might not be the best on a team. Do you pick the best team players and stick with the same team each time? A team will get better as it plays and practices together, but they do become predictable. What about setting up roles for people to play as? Your best micro player might handle the battles wherever the action is the most intense and just never do any base building. Maybe you have a team captain that tries to avoid doing much of anything just to maintain good communication and situational awareness to make sure you can win at the macro game and high level strategy. With four players you have enough people that you can specialize like this a little but you still probably need to make sure every player can do a little of everything.

I think these things all make the format interesting enough that we don't need to allow more than one team per clan. You should all also keep in mind that exodus has in the past started off with limited-scope tournaments to test the waters before diving in with larger and more open events. There is a lot of room to expand this clan wars idea and either allow more teams or start up a second league that might be a little less competitive or take itself a little less seriously. A league like that could have a less strict limit on the number of teams a clan can enter. Let's take it one step at a time though so that we can work out all the issues first.

*Edit*
    Quitch, stop beating me to things! I blame coffee shop internet for slowing me down.
    Quitch and cdrkf like this.
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Remember this is a clan league specifically, not a team league.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I appreciate the answer, and I understand that this is an experimental tournament. I just don't like the idea of discriminating against larger communities (not trying to be overly dramatic, but that's the best word to use). The Realm community has at least 2-3 times as many active players than any other clan out there. Many of those players won't get a chance to play.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Technically not true - we just need to sort out a method internally to allow everyone who wants to to apply. I've a few ideas I want to discuss with custard.
  15. cdrkf

Perhaps the realm could form a sub group as you are much bigger than anyone else...

Nothing wrong if the realm entered RLM1 and RLM2 teams in my opinion, given your unique position compared to everyone else...?

Edit: in the above set up, Realm would have 2 separate rosters, and for fairness players would have to be in 1 or the other...
  16. Quitch

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. If RLM1 need a win to win the league and their final opponent is RLM2, that's setting up a big conflict of interest.
    Bsport likes this.
  17. cdrkf

True I guess, although an inter-clan grudge match? Could be a good one to watch :p
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha good joke. You do know pag will be entering a team right :p. Ah may as well start the smack talk sooner than later.
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

We'll see soon how good you guys really are as a team. You have some of the best 1v1 players, but a lot of these clans are practicing together every day and they have been ready for this league for months. I'm looking forward to watching my Realm friends bring down PAG and make you look like noobs.
    cwarner7264, squishypon3 and Clopse like this.
  20. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

We also have pag team master clopse. Been to every team finals there has been and winning more than half. Oh yeah with a different team mate every time. Amazing I know.