Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

That seems like a terrible idea. That's twice the surface area as last time and performance was pretty bad on that planet.

I also don't think this will suit your strategy at all, it will just be even more map control you will likely cede. 1300 radius is a huge amount of ground to cover and is perhaps harder to control than you realise. You would probably do best around 700 radius in two tight bases.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I don't think my PC can handle a 1300 radius planet. I know, I know: Get a better PC. But wait! Someone spoke the words i was going to say!
    Whoa. It's like you read my - oh wait. I learned half my tricks from your earliest videos. That makes sense.
    squishypon3 and bluestrike01 like this.
  3. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

If it's a lag fight you want it's a lag fight you get. I think a few of us in RLM have 4.5ghz on 32 gb ram systems.
    mered4 likes this.
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Well ain't that lovely for you.

Unfortunately, some of us aren't able to build super gaming machines: I'm playing on a laptop, and it's not some whizzy gaming machine either. Personally I'm not participating in the Promethean-Cult game, but if I were planning to I'd have to drop out, there's no way I could handle suh a large planet.
  5. reptarking

I'm talking about cult making a system that only people with unnecessary large comps can handle. It's not fair to the average person playing this game. So I was joking to make a system that would be even more unnecessary in that regard. I have planets in my editor that take 20 gb of ram to handle. I'm not sure a war of nutrition is a right move in clan wars. It kills game play and the fun of PA.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Tee hee :)
    fredegar1 likes this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think I'll reserve judgement until I can actually *try* their new home system. If it works ok with 8gb ram then there isn't really a problem (as that is standard spec for PA). I mean it's a good thing to show different planets for clan wars. If there is an issue at 8gb of ram, then maybe @icycalm should consider dropping it a bit to account for that- we do need people to be able to load the map!
  8. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I am on a laptop with 8 gigs of RAM and a Radeon R7 M265 with 2GB dedicated VRAM. Any half-decent desktop should be able to outperform me, and yet I can play on our 1300-size planet just fine. I must have played about half a dozen games so far, and some of them with 10 players, not 8.

Is there lag at times? There is, but not much. And our opponents are generally nowhere near as aggressive as the clans, so we build up a lot more forces before any major fighting happens.

Note also that the other 3 Cult players who will likely be playing on the 22nd have about the same level of PC as I do. One of them has only 4 gigs of RAM and he has played on a 1000-radius planet just fine (still hasn't tested the 1300-radius one, but he will, and he'll get another 4 gigs of RAM before the match anyway).

As for Zaphod's comment about map control: we are grabbing way more now. We have a tough time holding on to it, but we are at least grabbing it now. And we want to eventually be playing on 2000- and 3000-radius planets, so reducing the size to 700 just because it will make Clan Wars easier for us (and therefore FORCING us to practice on that for however many months Clan Wars lasts) is going the opposite direction from the optimal way for us to enjoy this game.

So, talks of 4GHz processors and 32 gigs of RAM are utterly unwarranted. Try our system when Quitch has uploaded it, and get back to us. We'll also be trying it again in the next few days, but like I said it's already pretty playable to us, and we haven't even tried it on a custom server yet.

P.S. All our detail settings are set to Low, of course...
    zaphodx, fredegar1 and cdrkf like this.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Honestly it has nothing to do with your computer specs - it's the server sim that will slow to a crawl. If you've been testing on 1300 radius then that's cool, it was just a little painful trying to cast the last game when everything started simulating slower.
    squishypon3 and mered4 like this.
  10. icycalm

I must admit that I like the idea of the server slowing down a bit. Our initial strategy for the last game was to choke the server with bot spam so that we'd have time to think lol and reduce a bit the advantage of the godly multi-tasking and microing that the other clan players enjoy, but when we saw Uber dramatically improving the sim performance after release, we stopped hoping that that strategy would work. And it really didn't.
  11. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

If... I am alone in Promethean that can run the system.. than Bring it on! :D
    icycalm and cdrkf like this.
  12. cdrkf

Just give you 4 coms at the start haha
  13. reptarking

1v1 me on 10 1300 radius moons bro?
  14. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Look I know my pc can handle a single 1300 planet.. 10 would explode it lol
  15. cdrkf

Have you upgraded you PC recently by any chance? :D
  16. icycalm

Sounds fair to me.
  17. icycalm

Since Exodus won't be using a dedicated server, we settled on a 1000-radius planet (recoil will be updating the design and emailing Quitch asap). We think it's quite playable, but if Exodus deems at any point that it's not, they can just drop it down to whatever size they want, or ask us to do it ourselves. The only thing we ask for is to keep both metal sliders at 100.
    zaphodx and Clopse like this.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You can feel free to modify the map Oasis on the realm system sharing server to suit your needs. Radius 885 earth.
  19. icycalm

Thanks for the offer but it wouldn't feel like "our" planet if we merely modified someone's existing planet to make it.
  20. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

As we enter the next round of fixtures we have new players and new systems. PA Gods, Promethean, Team Burning and The Cult have all opted to make changes to their systems.

Remember, PA Gods face Voices of War tomorrow (1st November) at 1800 UTC. Be sure to join us live on exodusesports.com.
    Last edited: November 1, 2014
    Clopse and Bsport like this.