Chrono Cam in e-sports

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zaphodx, May 29, 2013.

1. kantorai

kantorai New Member

So what is happening with the ChronoCam? Are there any casts being made with it?

There seems to have been discussions in the forum about the usefulness of ChronoCam from before the summer but there is very little recent information. Does it work as intended?

With no alpha access I have been enjoying the casts at PAmatches and especially ZaphodX's. It would be very interesting to see a cast done through ChronoCam replay, that condenses the match and highlights the pivot points or cross cuts between parallel events. If I have just missed these ChronCasts, could someone kindly point them out to me?
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You're currently unable (as far as I know) to save a local copy, nor share a copy of a replay yet, which is severely limiting anyone's ability to cast a game that they were not a participant of.
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

has anyone ever used it during playing? Is it useful? I doubt it^^
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

as it is currently it is a nice feature to watch the replay, but ingame it is waaay to slow ui-wise o go back and check what happend anywhere.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

and
    Code:
    http://youtu.be/p97g-GT1KMw?t=52m35s
  6. kantorai

kantorai New Member

Thanks for the replies. From those two videos it seems like the ChronoCam works but it wasn't utilised that much with one match on fast forward and the other showing replay of only two time segments. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to the possibilities of CC.
  7. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Has anyone see the Auto Cam in DOTA?
    It basically focuses on where the action is happening or looks like it about it happen.

It would be really great is a something like that could be possible, maybe with a mod.
    At least in a small window so the caster won't miss any major action, and could help to do some quick slow motion replays.
  8. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

This most recent patch has increased my fps massively. Previously I found trying to replay a full game through chronocam would be really laggy so I think it's a good idea to give it another go.
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Before the last patch, using the chrono cam just was way too slow. But now with the massive increase in fps I got in normal games I actually use it. Just used it today to see what destroyed my defenses and a quarter of my base (was a nuke as it turned out). Used it again in a later game to see how we had won. (Team mate attacked enemy commanders with the bot army I built. I realized they weren't near the factories anymore but thought they went on a holiday or something. :D)

So, its starting to get used, the higher the fps the game gets. And when we get the option to just click on a dead unit to see its last few seconds, then I guess it will be used all the time.
  10. kantorai

kantorai New Member

Looking forward to that Zaphod. Good games!
  11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Yea chrono cam is actually great now. Still tends to lock up if you leave if in peace for some time though
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I did try a bit of chronocam after a game but it still seems to have bad lag issues.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it has to show not only all those units on the map but all the units at each time stage.
    Units on map at population climax < Units on map in everysigle moment added together.

the end of the game is worst lag. I wonder If they'll leave an option before you ready in for the game to have chrono cam off to reduce lag client side. this option would not be modifiable in-game as you would not have stored the info from the begining of the game.
  14. thedrofevil

thedrofevil New Member

Could the game have a bookmark feature?

Say you are spectating/casting and a nuke goes off or something big happens, you could bookmark that location on the chrono cam to allow easy access to it later on.

Perhaps even a feature you could turn on where the game automatically bookmarks notable events that happen, so your just a click away from seeing where that nuke landed. In my mind it looks like the Age of Empires 2 end of game review screen.