Cartoonish graphic like kickstarter trailer?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xnavigator, August 6, 2013.

1. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Re: Cartonish graphic like kickstarter trailer?

I bet some modders will make a "non-cartony PA" mod or something some time.
  2. antillie

antillie Member

I would contend that a game's art style can be both realistic and cartoonish at the same time. For example the Beheaded Kamikaze enemy from the Serious Sam series. While it is rendered in the full on CoD realistic style (scroll down for an image of the modern Serious Sam 3 version) the enemy itself is a ludicrous idea right out of a cartoon.

I mean its a guy with no head holding two bombs who runs at you while screaming. Come on. That's just silly. They could have easily made the enemy less silly but they choose not to because they wanted it to be silly. The resulting contrast between the realistic elements of the graphics and the sheer silliness of what you are actually seeing is one of the signature traits of the Serious Sam series and probably the best example of art in game design that I know of.

Debating the graphical style of a game is just that, a debate on style. While everyone will have a preference and an opinion nobody will actually be right or wrong.
  3. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

And then they will realize that this still looks like toys because of silly little planets.
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I'm confused.....Is it the middle one?