Can we get an update on the update?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, December 7, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Anybody else feel like nuke silos should be able to shoot any any planet within their range?

So you could put nukes on a planet and strike when the planets line up.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

....which makes orbital positioning and timing even more important. Hopefully they will be able to fix the forrible orbital path in the next patch :D
  3. enderdude

enderdude Member

but they still dont have that much of a range, with a big planet they can hardly cover the whole planet, thats why theyre making these new nukes
  4. mered4

I wouldnt want nukes to cover the whole planet - if its alarge one.

Would be so OP....
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Currently there is no easy way to see their range until after you build them. I once prepared both missiles for a double nuke strike, while ignoring my shrinking base, only to find out that the enemy commander was just out of range.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It also makes the position of the nukes actually f$££$£$£ matter, that is what made turtles so despised in SupCom the ability to strike back without having to go anywhere.

You actually need forward bases.
  7. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Any news on the unit cannon? we need that more than interplanetary nukes...
    FXelix likes this.
  8. mymothersmeatloaf

mymothersmeatloaf Member

I really don't want to sound like an idiot or seem like I'm doing the devs job for them, but as a programmer it's just kind of floating around in my head.

Would an array be suitable for that kind of thing? Or just a sort of container? I'm thinking that if you could load the amount of units taken by the transporter you could just easily pass that info back out through a queue and the units would pop out one by one.

Or maybe my idea is just amateur and probably already has been thought of idk.

As for the nukes, I'm pretty excited about that, as well as the stargate unit they had discussed earlier.
  9. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

The general idea is that, in my opinion, this should not be a problem. Go search 'Inheritance'.

Obviously, there are some performance issues with inheritance tables in C++, but getting such things to work through inheritance, or specifically, interfaces, is pretty easy. This is just a guess, i have not seen the code and have no idea why they are having such problems, but I think the problem they are having must be related to something else.

Would love for a dev to say what they are finding problematic, but i doubt they will.
  10. mered4

I am assuming it has something to do with relating the background arrays, the ui display, and the netcode. Especially the netcode, since that stuff can get really twisted really fast.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

If you think it isn't hard, go apply for a job at Uber.

I'm sure there's plenty of things we haven't thought about.
  12. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

Sorry to interrupt your arguing about interplanetary nukes, but aren't you all forgetting that we are talking about the game were you launch PLANETS at other players and watch as they are crushed into the molten core of the planet that they are on? I agree that the planets are not always a option, but I thought I would just throw that in there. Also, I think I would more prefer them add those asteroids we saw in the first trailer, that way we could still throw planet sized objects around like kids toys, and we could still keep our lovely moons full of metal extractors and generators.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what are you talking about?
    you can smash planets with planetoids since beginning of beta already... or do you just want an asteroidbelt ....
    also no problem .. just put in multiple small planetoids on the same orbitrange in your system and there you go
  14. brianpurkiss

I'm confused by what you're trying to say.

At the launch of Beta, planet smashing was in the game. You pretty much need to build your own system, but it's in there.

I'm not forgetting about anything.

Astroid belts are in the works if I'm not mistaken.

Remember, the game is still in beta.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

It's not hard at all. I've done it. It's in multiple old RTS games.

Well actually that's a lie, I haven't done it. But I've done something incredibly similar. And I can't program.

There problem isn't "storing" multiple units in one unit. That's a magic box transport.

The pseudo code programming for that:

Make these units despawn at this location.
    Some stuff to do with transport moving.
    Make these units respawn at that location.

That's actually really simple. As to making a unit store a subset of other units - I've done it in C, and I can't program.

When I listened to their last comments about it, the issue I understood was to make that "look good"; because they didn't want to do a magical box transport, they wanted to make multi-unit-Astreus style transports, and they wanted to make the units able to shoot from the transport, and look awesome and stuff.
  16. mymothersmeatloaf

mymothersmeatloaf Member

I think you're misinterpreting my comment..

I wasn't trying to insult the dev's or say it was "easy" as a matter of fact no where in the initial comment did I say it was EASY.

I was just jump starting idea's and helping the best way I can, take it or leave it, but please don't mince up my own words to make it sound like I said it was easy.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It would be boss if they had a variety of transports for group unit assaults. Like a jet full of dox or a terrain rover full of ants or a ship with a carrier top which can carry a bunch of both.

Those should be limited in size and linear in function and both risk 6 units in one health bar as well as combine their firepower.

Besides that, there should be a straight up massive orbital unit carrier for mass unit carry, and possibly even a version for just in planet if the unit cannon doesn't already fit that.
  18. lordwhoot

lordwhoot New Member

i'll like it, the more options the better.

only thing is somethimes miss is a warming when its in radar range.

not Red Alert style, but only when in radar range a special sound.

something like, better have anti-nukes, or Your going to be total annihilated!
  19. mered4

As if you can do ANYTHING about a nuke if it reaches your radar range. :p
  20. brianpurkiss

It is possible to get units to hightail it out of there and save some. I've saved critical advanced fabricators that way.