Can we get an update on the update?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, December 7, 2013.

1. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

+1

Forget the cookies, these boys deserve a couple pints.
    popededi and mered4 like this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Even if they aren't actually listening, if people think they are, then isn't that still pretty good? And having the devs quite frequently respond to threads in this forum is stronger evidence that, in fact, they are listening...
  3. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

You flirt.
    mered4 and drz1 like this.
  4. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I hope they're built in orbit. Ground-based interplanetary nukes would probably be OP as hell.
    mered4 likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This phrase isn't want I was talking about when I said "decision based on community feedback or community suggestions."

I was specifically talking about the Anti Air Flack Tower which was stated to be added to the game due to community demand.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I meant it as a good thing :D

Lando Calrissian Stamp of Approval:
    [​IMG]
    Arachnis and drz1 like this.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

difference between unitcannon and nuke ... the nuke is already in so its easier for the team to pepare interplanetary transision with it ... the unitcannon works totaly different so imagine its a bit more difficult to propperly
    implement it ...
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

They've been working on the Unit Cannon and transports for some time. They've said that it's really difficult to get two units to turn into one unit and then back into two units. And then there's a multitude of other features in regards to the unit cannon.

They are working on it, it's just a much bigger challenge.
  9. MrTBSC

pretty much what i thought
  10. MrTBSC

... if its an orbital building then it would be rather difficult to destroy
    as the only units to destroy it would be an umbrela or avengers... that way you take a lot of options away to destroy the launcher and make it even more powerful of a tool

ps: sry for doubleposting but replying to multiple replies on phone
    is quite a pain
  11. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Well they've mentioned a "complete" rework of the orbital unit roster and how orbital works which should see some orbital units built in orbit by orbital fabbers so that whole game dynamic is likely to change. This might extend to earlier access to orbitals (yes please) and a more dynamic, direct combat oriented orbital game as opposed to who-can-micro-their-fighter-blob-better that we have at the moment.
    Can't really see why you'd want to build an interplanetary nuke in orbit though, either from a realism or a gameplay perspective, it's not like the orbital layer is lacking in high value targets.

EDIT: just noticed how many times the word 'orbit' appears in the first sentence. OrbitOrbitOrbitOrbitOrbitOrbitOrbitOrbit
    thetrophysystem and cinderstar like this.
  12. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

That's not really true though. If you're building IP nukes, your target is on another planet or moon. The defender, on another celestial body presumably, would have to use their own IP nuke or an orbital laser to deal with the silo since inter-planetary invasions with ground units isn't feasible at the moment. Killing an orbital silo with an Avenger snipe would probably be easier, even with how broken they are right now. Or a Halley smash, but that's a bit overkill as a defensive option.
  13. mered4

I was going to reply but
    .....he got to it first :)
  14. MrTBSC

doesnt change the fact that you have a more secure platform that way .. with the unitcannon you will have the option to attack a groundnuke .. but it would be useless against a orbitplatform ...

it beeing not feasable now doesnt matter
    it is not a reason to change something
    for when you have planned something else that is ment
    to ballance it anyway
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
  15. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

If it's an orbital building then it would be rather easy to detect.
    Ability to nuke any point in the entire system should come with the price of someone trying to actively counter it. How he will do is a whole other question, which will probably be answered with orbital rebalance.
  16. MrTBSC

if you build radarsatalites its as easy to detect orbital structures as it is with groundstuctures however its expensive ... using a scouting group is also good for a cheaper price .. iam of course talking about singleplanetmatches as well and not only interplanetary battle ... scouting with surfaceuunits may still be viable
    even with avengers and satalites up as those can be countered with umbrelas or again avengers ... its cheaper to lose a small group of scouts then a group of avengers or a satelite
  17. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Of course, there might not be a new structure, perhaps they're just adding the ability to launch the current nukes at other planets. I tried that once already, and it took off, turned around, and came back down into my base though...
    lapsedpacifist and cptconundrum like this.
  18. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the Colt. Malt. Liquor?
  19. mered4

I approve of this important public service announcement. :D
  20. sirlansalot

sirlansalot New Member

By the sound of it, Orbit nukes will be able to fire ONLY at other planetary bodies. Meaning you cannot fire it at its originating planet, that would be very OP, even with adjusted anti nukes.

Interplanetary Nukes, just makes it easier, or at least gives you an option, to clear a space for you to drop in a bunch of units and invade. Even if he has anti nukes to stop it, they only stop XX amount of nukes before they become overwhelmed. This at least gives players a +1 in there arsenal for fighting interplanetary fights.