Camera controls.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradaz85, October 18, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's ****.

you could never be more precise than FA's scroll. plus it's so much faster!

no really you only think it's the best alternative because you're not thinking outside the box to other worlds that don't exist to you yet .

have you ever tried ozone's demo?
  2. tatsujb

Do I have to make a vid comparing the two in FA to make my point?

also is there still a usable version of @ozonexo3 's PA demo?
  3. Recon

Recon Member

Well, I for one have a very sore middle finger after playing a game of PA because the middle mouse button is DESIGNED to be a scroll wheel (which it is). It's a wheel - not a button. And it's relatively hard to press, requiring perhaps five times as much pressure as the other buttons. Sure, it also functions as a button, but not something you press over and over and over in a short period of time. It's very tiresome, and to not allow the gamer to remap the PAN function to another key is ridiculous. Yes, I know the arrow keys and also edge scrolling work, my left hand is nowhere near the arrow keys when playing, AND edge scrolling is very cumbersome. WHY not just allow us to use the RMB? It's not like the RMB is used for anything else when no unit is selected. Just like in supcom.

tatsujb likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Or it just makes no sense to zoom out then in to move your camera two feet to the right to select that one little bot your screen didn't see. (Then afterward rapidly zoom all the way out, then right click on the other side of the map- zooming in after to another area)

Like I saaaid it's all based on context, I just use the mmb for more precise movements, so I don't zoom too far out by accident, or don't just barely miss where I should have zoomed into...

All I'm saying is that there's no reason to say it's the worst when it seems to be used in soooo many places and work perfectly. We're talking about PA, in which mmb rains supreme over zoom as movement. (At least since the way zoom works was changed)
  5. squishypon3

Do I have to make a video to show exactly what I mean? Because I know exactly what I'm saying, and what I prefer for certain situations.
  6. squishypon3

Because if it were rmb and you had unit selected you couldn't pan... >.>

I never denied the fact you should be able to change it, only that it's not the worst button to use, considering everything that does use mmb for the exact same function.

I call upon @cdrkf (another guy who does cad work) who feels the same way... Probably due to cad work >.>
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. squishypon3

Suuuper random, but remember when you could use the mmb and pan slingshot to the right then stop it by pressing mmb again? Or even get it to spin the planet like a top? That was fun. XD
  8. Recon

Recon Member

Then how about a keyboard map? Personally, Adobe's spacebar to pan works fantastic. There's any number of alternatives to the very very poor MMB choice. Again, physically it's a very difficult button to keep pressing repeatedly. It's just not designed for extended use and I get a really sore finger after a game where I'm required to use it. WHY not just allow the gamer to remap how they please?

9. tatsujb

on PAPER.
    yes I concede that.

but you have to try it to believe it. TRUST ME.
  10. squishypon3

I agree it should be able to be remapped, but personally I have no idea how mmb is a poor choice- Not how you get physically hurt from pressing the middle mouse button a lot. Though I guess I can't, as I press it all the time! I press it to scroll web pages at times (just press then flick up- faster than scrolling when on really large pages), and I also use it in Blender, Misfit 3D, Maya, and 3DS Max.
  11. squishypon3

Nice, completely cut out the whole context bit I've been talking about... It does when making broader actions, to zoom from one area of your base to another.. But 3 feet? Makes no sense, I'm sorry.
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

You can map to a key with Keybind Extensions

I have a WIP mod that would make building a mouse button mod palatable.
    Recon likes this.
  13. tatsujb

again ON PAPER it makes no sense.

In practice it's just better. @cola_colin please, back me up here.
  14. squishypon3

Yes and in practice, how is zooming out then in in a jerky fashion to mover your camera just a bit when all you need to do is hold mmb and move the mouse up and to the right 2cm, depending on mouse sensitivity? :p
  15. squishypon3

16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Why can't we just agree that different people like different cookies input concepts.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I like white choc and macadamia... Oh we're still talking about camera controls that's disappointing :p seriously though I don't understand the issue, never bothered me in the slightest in pa. Still having an easy way to remap the buttons sounds like a nice option so I'd support that.
  18. tatsujb

19. mikaelallan

mikaelallan New Member

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME, but i cant seem to get past the damn tutorial because i cant control the camera.

The mouse scroll wheel is TOTAL **** for such a basic function. I keep seeing this game in my library and I'm like, hrm... maybe i can figure it out this time. NOPE

I'm done with it, uninstalling now. I hope the devs take a clue from the unsatisfied users here that it was bad, and intuitive design. Such basic functions like that need to be remapable.
  20. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

/me wonders why if this was a big issue that it didn't get wormed out in Alpha/Beta/Gamma...

I guess the major reason it is this way is because Uber employees have good mice, I have a good mouse and MMB is perfect for panning, it's just like any other MB for me. I guess if I wanted to I could also use the keybind extensions and map it to any other button on my mouse.

I don't know what my point is here, I would have expected to see it remappable by default but maybe get a better mouse?

I mean.

It's worth it to play PA.

Unless you're one of those principled people.

Who suck.

Or you're poor.

In which case you can have my mouse when I replace it.
  21. mikaelallan

mikaelallan New Member

I have a nice logitech gaming mouse.

The middle mouse click button rolls, and it isn't suitable for panning/rotating the screen, it's not meant to be clicked and held down, it's meant to tap.

I have set up a custom button mapping on my mouse to fix the issue by switching my middle mouse button to right click, and right click to another mouse button for PA only.

It is RIDICULOUS that THAT is the solution I had to implement in order to simply play the game.