Build 77337-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 15, 2015.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

77202-pte - differentiated sound effects for different commander weapons.
    ArchieBuld, Quitch and Remy561 like this.
  2. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

No one else is seeing this issue? arghhh

Even tried a reboot, nope.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The sub icons are outdated. Fix 'em?
    Last edited: January 24, 2015
  4. stuart98

I'm referring to setting spawn layer to WL_Seafloor
  5. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

I've confirmed that any system involving metal planets will lead to a server disconnection in PTE 77202. Includes user made systems as well as built-ins. Tried running locally, didn't help. I didn't even have to select a landing zone for the game to stop; just stared at the sun for about 10 seconds (not recommended in real life) and got connection to server lost.

Edit: Here's my system specs to hopefully narrow down the problem if it's hardware related.

Attached Files:

devoh likes this.
  6. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I have the exact same issue.. thought I think once it was on a double system without a metal planet.

Attached Files:

7. captain81

captain81 New Member

I'm having the same problem :(

8. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I had server disconnect on a pair of systems, an old and new one made this build.

First one a tropic and moon, second a tropic, lava and moon.

All game attempts were local servers vs AI

Couldn't even get into a game.

I want to try subs :(

Attached Files:

9. stuart98

Could you try running server.exe in a command prompt so that you can see what message the server provides when it crashes?
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I'm not really finding the current subs implementation in PTE fun or adding to gameplay though admittedly i havn't played enough to say anything conclusive. The yolo glass cannon thing doesn't seem to have much depth aside from spreading out your subs and making sure they don't get hit by torpedo aoe. There's also alot of 'guaranteed' damage, in the sense that all of your stuff will generally die anyway despite killing all the enemy subs really quickly.

The subs are basically fire and forget, with everything dying in a great spam of torpedoes. With the likely removal of torpedo aoe dmg, combat is most likely going to become less interesting and maybe not even the torpedo launchers will counter the sub spam anymore. Though i totally get that no-one likes it when the pathing decides to stack 20 subs ontop of each other and then they all die to like 2 subs. I already find it kind of annoying when the pathing stacks 2 or 3 subs on top of each other.

I definitely appreciate the merit in the implementation idea of subs as a counter to the current domination of destroyer + fighter or battleship + frigate in the stable build. But because they are a better choice even over their naval surface 'counter' (frigates), there isn't much interesting interaction between the naval units. It goes fighter > bomber > sub > frigate, where destroyer is likewise also beaten by sub. So in terms of naval only, it seems to strongly favour sub spam + fighters. Maybe you could still make a case for destroyer + mixed air, though the game tends to favour the player who builds pure fighter over fighter + bomber. One thing for sure though is that destroyer + frigate doesn't work.

There is also the stuff with torpedo launchers where destroyer > torpedo launcher > sub > destroyer, but we're talking static d. Which isn't very engaging or stimulating in the sense that the t1 composition you need to attack the position seems to be countered by sub spam. The stalemating and ineffectiveness of t1 naval creates even more pressure towards t2, which could maybe be counted a positive, but the only point of t2 becomes to get either adv torpedo launchers, or a battleship to kill torpedo launchers, then switching the efficient t2 factory over to spamming more t1 frigates and subs.

Also, their cheap cost makes gunboats again 100% obsolete by nullifying the timing advantage.

The t2 sub has some problems. It doesn't trade well with other units metal for metal, and neither does it have any other unique unit function besides yoloing and trying to kill as many ships as possible in 3 seconds before it dies. Basically, the only unit this thing counters is the destroyer, and there is already a much cheaper alternative to this, namely the t1 sub.

Here are some possible alternatives, though I'm not saying i'm necessarily right about it either. Just trying to help think of ways that submarine gameplay could perhaps be more engaging and more fun.
    • More expensive t1 sub which has low dps via low rof, doesn't trade well in metal for metal, but higher range, and can only fire when facing towards the target within limited angle.
    • Much slower move turn rate necessary to emphasise this.
    • The effect is light area denial and skirmishing, but can be easily rushed and overwhelmed by force metal for metal.
    and/or simpler changes like
    • Make torpedoes 'dumb fire' (no turn rate). So you can dodge them with gunboats and perhaps even frigates, but they still retain their battleship killing capability.
    • Reversing it so that frigates trade out subs better metal for metal so that you can justify how much destroyers own frigates.
    • Reversing the 'cloak', so subs are invisible to vision but not radar. Then you can do stuff like make enemy radar buildings always visible. Though i get that this one isn't aesthetically ideal because you never get to see the enemy submarine models.
    With t2 sub
    • Able to launch mini nukes, which are perhaps able to be shot down by stingrays. I think most of us gratuitously want something like this :). But maybe it is just crazy talk.

*Also, can we allow pelicans to pick up naval fabricators again? </3
    Last edited: January 24, 2015
  11. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Yup, PTE is losing connection to server for me too. something broke in this update.
  12. stuart98

OR we could just make it work like it did in TA/SupCom and like it will in the successor mod to Statera and make subs countered by surface counterparts but invisible to most stuff that can't fire on them necessitating the use of sonar.
  13. hohopo

hohopo Member

I'm really enjoying the subs, t1 subs give a counter to pure destroyer fleets and I love the idea of the t2 sub been radar invisible and quickly able to snipe mexes.
    But I haven't played against players yet, and the fear of only subs is a scary one.
    (running off above posts .. Lower damage on torpedoes have destroyers fire 1 and ever thing else fire 3?)

also since when are ships not able to be picked up by astraeus?
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

T1 was added to T2 factories a while ago and I'm thinking it was a mistake. Apart from rendering T1 factories obsolete, it also interferes with keys like select all idle factories where you now need to queue in two stages, setting up T2 units, then unselecting, then selecting all idles factories again so that T1 units only go into the T1 factory queues.
    emraldis, cptconundrum, ace63 and 5 others like this.
  15. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Yeah that was a bad design decision from the very beginning.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Maybe.... although I think it's important to be able to easily get back to t1 from t2. Also on land factories I'd never use a t2 fac to make t1 other than maybe a few spinners in a continuous build, due to the advantage t2 units provide. You need the factory producing t2. If that isn't the case in water, the balance needs tweaking.

That's not saying I want t2 to replace t1 either, just that it should be necessary to supplement your existing t1 forces.

The ability to make t1 from a t2 factory strikes me as more important for rebuilding.
  17. payloadd

payloadd New Member

What do you think about adding anti-orbital weaponry to the commander? Maybe not necessary, cause he can only defend himself in early game and orbital isn't early game, but... maybe you have thought through it?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  18. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I don't think the commander should be able to defend against everything. Com AA is important for defending early game timings (e.g. bomber rush), but AO would just devalue going for the expensive orbital tech.
  19. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

So what does work in this PTE single planet or? The server crashes every time 4 me. I know its PTE but Uber should have detectet this before they postet the "hotfix"
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

With local server last PTE crashes with more than one planet :(
    Anyway seems like we also have playfab broken :(