Btw, what happened to Asteroids?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by temeter, August 2, 2014.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Quick question: I didn't really follow for the biggest part of the development until now, so I kinda missed what's up with asteroids. We've seen an asteroid belt in the KS-Trailer, as well as an helley'd asteroid being shot by nukes before crashing into a planet.
    Are they still going to be a thing, or have they been completely/partly replaced by moons?

And a smaller question about economy on the side, is there an additional penalty for having to few income? Meaning, will providing 90% of necessary ressources linearly scale to 90% production speed?
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

[​IMG]

It's a confirmed feature. It'll be added eventually.

Yes, there is a penalty to negative income. If you're in the negatives, units and buildings will be constructed slower.
    monte93 and temeter like this.
  3. temeter

Ty, nice to hear they still will be a thing.
    Sorry, that was badly worded from me. I ment if it's only a linear penalty. As said, dipping down to 90% income, resulting in 90% production speed isn't to bad.
    But i wonder if there is proportional scaling, something like 90% ressources resulting in 80% production, and 70% resulting in 50%.
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

for now, asteroids at least only do local damage not global anymore (although it seems the damage never stops meaning a unit cant go somewhere near an asteroid impact without dying, or was this a bug when it happened to me yesterday)
    temeter likes this.
  5. temeter

I think i had the same issue at one point. Probably a bug.
    You're talking about moons, though. Afaik asteroids aren't in the game atm.
  6. brianpurkiss

Ah.

It's linear.
    temeter likes this.
  7. temeter

Again, ty. Could have tested it, but dropping the question under the asteroid-thing just seemed faster.
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember someone saying that asteroids are actively being worked on internally.
  9. brianpurkiss

Last I heard they were in the concept phase. I haven't heard anything about them actually banging out code for them. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

To quote Brad:
    "Asteroid belts are being investigated. My gut says they'll be the next major feature to get attention, but what we prioritize changes as the project does."
  11. temeter

That sounds nice. Maybe Uber wants to bring them parallel to the unit cannon, so they'll be able to balance them together? *dream*
    ace63 likes this.
  12. doud

doud Well-Known Member

If i account all the stuff which is supposed to come "SOON" then we could legitimatly expect a BIGGGG update short before 1.0 ....... and unless Uber has hidden lots of stuff so far, i hardly see this occuring before 1.0.
    Planktum likes this.
  13. brianpurkiss

Uber has said they're in a feature freeze for 1.0.

They also have said they have a closely guarded secret feature. We'll see what it is.

I'm guessing it isn't asteroids.
  14. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Soon =/= in at/before 1.0.
  15. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Could you provide a source please?
  16. doud

doud Well-Known Member

By feature freeze do you mean that all announced/confirmed/non delayed features will be in 1.0 ?
    Do we have a list of all features supposed to be in 1.0 and not yet available in PTE ?
    And by the way if they are in feature freeze, they then should be able to make a "What you will have/not have in 1.0" post.
  17. brianpurkiss

A phone call with Jon Mavor and... Garat? saying they're focusing down on polish and saying what we have in the PTE is pretty much what 1.0 will be.

By feature freeze, they aren't working on any new big rock features. (paraphrasing) "What we see in the PTE is 1.0." And that was said before the most recent build that came out.

But again, there's that closely guarded secret – whatever it may be.

I'm guessing it isn't Astroids or the Unit cannon based on what Uber has said about how much they've worked on them. Possibly Gas Giants? Since Uber has said they're working on them and they're a high priority. But then again, Gas Giants don't seem like a super awesome surprise – but that's just me.
  18. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Maybe it's their plans for ladders? They did say they were pushing 1.0 back a few weeks to include them (thanks, Uber!)
  19. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Uber have bitten off more than they can chew with this game. The concept is awesome, but executing it within their time and budget constraints... The feature scope is just too big and thus we are going to end up with lots of half-cocked game mechanics.
    ace63 likes this.
  20. monte93

monte93 Active Member

I'm really starting to get used to see that picture….