Bot spinner

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by bengeocth, December 8, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because then we'd still have a bot that excells at fighting ground units, at the moment we have NO bot that excellexcels at AA as a role.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

do we have to with a aa vehicle being there?
    do we need a vehicle that launches longrangemissiles when we have a bot as well as a longrange shellartillery tank for that already?
    also my original question hasnt been answered even there were a aabot
    why would it be ok for that being multipurpose than the dox
    you just said there isnt a good bot aa ...
    Last edited: December 9, 2014
  3. squishypon3

We do not need a vehicle that fires long range missiles, he actually suggested that for the bot.

Personally I don't believe the AA should be able to fire on the ground if others cant, however I do see the need for a dedicated anti-air unit for the bots as it can make bots an unfair start.

No matter how you spin it, if you think it makes bots too well rounded or if you think that the AA is terrible. Both have a arguments. I'd it's too well rounded then it becomes the spam unit everyone builds, and if it's AA actually just sucks... Why even give it AA?
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I'll field this one.

Because even poor AA can be used to kill air fabbers.

Sometimes that's all that is needed.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  5. squishypon3

That's a purpose that'd last for barely any part of the game, ironic that a generalist in unit would have half it's role invalidated within a couple minutes of a game.
  6. igncom1

Well it depends how many air fabbers people use.

And of course, if I chose to not use aircraft past the first few mins of a game, the same could be said of AA, purpose invalidated.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  7. squishypon3

Not really it's more so the fact if someone uses air fabs then they'll be defended five minutes in the game, much too defended for any terrible AA unit to do anything about. Besides, have you... EVER used the dox for the supposed role you just gave?
  8. MrTBSC

i have seen a number of people using it as secondary so long they didnt switch to spinners or fighters and that for varieng periods of time
  9. igncom1

What, shooting down air fabbers?

Yes, yes I have. I play the AI, who builds just about everything.
    Thats a silly question.

You are mistaking the current meta for the purpose of poor AA, air fabbers are just fine if your opponent doesn't go for mass fighters.
  10. MrTBSC

fighters still cant do anything gainst dox ... so as long as your opponent doest go antiground aircraft the dox is just fine ...
  11. squishypon3

If the meta invalidates the role of poor aa then there is no point in poor aa.
  12. igncom1

Yeah, no.

I don't even play much multiplayer, and never competitive.

So no to your 1v1 tiny map balance, poor aa is just fine over here.
  13. squishypon3

I don't even like tiny map 1v1 ^^;

In fact I'd go to say weak aa would work WORSE in a large ffa game.
  14. igncom1

20 weak AA is like 5 good AA but with little damage.

In larger games weak AA can be used enmass like flak to fill the air with bullets, it's less effective, sure, but it still works.
  15. squishypon3

And then you watch as one bomber wipes the floor with at least 50% of the group in one bombing run. :/
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Then why do you even argue with people about competitive play balance?
    I am not trying to tell you how vs AI games should play like as well and I am sure they won't be hurt if a unit is added that you never will.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. igncom1

That isn't what this current discussion is about, this is about the dox's AA, not a proposed bot AA which is what the rest of the thread is about.

But to say that my opinion doesn't matter on this issue because I don't play competitive is really bad coming from a moderator.

Yep, bombers still counter dox, and I think that is good.
  18. MrTBSC

doest realy matter if vs ai or player ..
    the goal is to have any unit available to you staying usefull be it a cheap spamable unit or a tough/strong expensive unit .. the question allways will be why should i build unit x for when unit y does its job better ...

personaly i dont care weither there is a dedicated bot aa or the dox having secondary aa instead i dont realy have a problem with either .. i just dont have an intrest in the spinner becomming redundant as i want any unit with its pros and cons being useable ...
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well was that discussion about vs AI balance or vs multiplayer balance? Those are different. I am not even saying one should be more important than the other (so I am not implying that your opinion does not matter!), but it's important to consider what kind of background people use to argue about the proposed balance changes. That way we may be able to understand the desires of vs AI players as well as MP players and maybe find a way to bring them together.
  20. igncom1

Thank you, and I will apologise about being kind of an ******* the past couple of days, especially to you, you are a nice guy (I imagine).

With the dox AA, I like it, but their weapon turret needs to be slower so jet fighters can't be targeted.

And as for bot AA.......like most ideas I have spoken against, I CAN get used to anything, but as of right now, this second, I don't see much of a point what with easy access to fighters and spinners (and fabbers to build static AA in the field).

But, given time, my mind will usually change, sometimes because a good idea is a good idea, and sometimes because I don't always want to have a argument about it.