Boost FPS on a NVIDIA card !

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by canadiancommander, September 29, 2013.

1. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

But for me source games already run at 200+ fps maxed out. I doubt I will notice anything from lowering settings. But I understand that you need a high fps for fast paced games like shooters, while in PA nothing is really moving fast on the screen so 20 to 30 fps is still 'okay' ;)
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I usually only notice when it's below 40, but I'm also used to network lag :p

Above the refresh rate of your monitor, it is literally impossible to see a difference unless tearing happens because the monitor refreshes mid update. TV's often have 50, 60 and 120 Hz with some occasional strange ones like 600Hz so it's usually better to just stick with the refresh rate rather than waste all that GPU power. Anybody who claims to see a difference between 120 and 60 on a 60Hz monitor is seeing things.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's all about how Valve implemented input handling. Pretty much sure it's only done this way because it's legacy to make some 1.6 players happy. For most of games this isn't the case.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Exactly!

The extra fps helps smooth mouse movements- Less lost pixels, etc...
    websterx01 likes this.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

smoothing mouse movements out just a little bit doesn't seem like much of a gain for guaranteed tearing.
    but then, I play battlefield with mouse acceleration on and I can't see why so many people hate it, so maybe the problem is mine.
  6. squishypon3

I don't get any tearing at 290fps. XP

Unless I don't know what 'tearing' is?

Edit: And mouse acceleration can be great for some people! The reason a lot dislike it is because it makes memorization through muscle memory a bit more difficult. However it also means you can go from super precise movements to spinning 180 degrees fairly easily.
  7. squishypon3

Yep, just took a look at a video of screen tearing and I can guarantee I've never had it happen even at 290+ fps in CS:GO. I use a TV as a monitor if that changes anything.

@theseeker2
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

It doesn't. I've only ever had tearing ONCE in years of gaming, it's really only a think when framerates are different per pixel/areas of the screen.
  9. earth75

earth75 Member

I will just quote my own post.
    And for the TL;DR : frames are rendered as single chunks. Your monitor can display them at a fixed rate (often, 60Hz). Getting more frames means overfeeding your screen, which causes tearing. This is why Vsync makes sense.

Last edited: April 21, 2015
  10. Remy561

I never had it before either untill I played Binairy Domain on my laptop. My laptop goes into screen tearing very quickly, even at 40fps while the screen is 60. I think it is caused by a desync in the frame buffer and screen. As in the buffer is updated while the screen is loading from it.

With my old 60fps screen I never had tearing, not even with sourcegames running at 150fps.
  11. earth75

earth75 Member

While you cannot capture tearing on PCs, it turns out external recorders on consoles can, so I found a pretty good example of tearing on a PS3 running in SD. It's most noticeable at 0:27

Some older screens would not allow access to the buffers while it is being read. It was a double buffer. While it had no tearing, the outcome was even worse : frames were dropped, so they werent displayed at all.
  12. Remy561

When I had it in Binary Domain it was just a constant line at the same position where the pixels were skewed. Sometimes that line moved a bit up or down, sometimes it disappeared and reappeared a few minutes later. So quickly afterwards I enabled Vsync to save me from that line :p
  13. theseeker2

how the **** do you notice the difference in input lag between vsync on/off, but not notice the massive image delay on a television?
  14. theseeker2

I get it literally every time my FPS goes above 60, the new gsync monitors are going to be a godsend for me (once the prices come down a bit). $600-700 monitors are ridiculous, the difference in manufacturing cost between a decent 60hz monitor and a gsync monitor is NOWHERE near $550
    Last edited: April 21, 2015
  15. earth75

earth75 Member

Nay, but Nvidia sels its Gsync cards at a premium because there is a huge shortage of these and they are not 100% happy with current specs so they dont go into ultra mass production yet.
  16. Remy561

Strange, I literally never have it and always turn Vsync off for those extra frames. My screen is 144hz now and it costed me 250 euros, which is also 250 dollar nowadays. But my old screen which my dad bought for like 100 euros at Aldi, a cheap german supermarket, also never had the problem of screen tearing.
  17. squishypon3

I'm not happy to be using a TV, NY computer just happens to not have a VGA port. And my monitor not an HDMI port.
  18. earth75

earth75 Member

Maybe you are not too sensitive to it. Or you just are used to it. Most of the time when there is tearing the upper and lower parts are only a couple pixels off and the tear line moves every frame so its a slight inconvenience. Only when your fps is stable (and over 60Hz) the line sits still on the screen
    Remy561 likes this.
  19. earth75

earth75 Member

Tried DVI? DisplayPort? There's gotta be a way oO. Also, please refrain from using analog video ports. This is 2015 guys.
  20. squishypon3

250 euros = 250 dollars? Since when! D: