Books

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by x Zatchmo, June 23, 2011.

1. Typical Knave

Typical Knave New Member

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide. The first three books are some of the funniest things ever put to paper.

I used to read a lot more than I used to. I loved Raymond Feist(A Darkness at Sethanon, Krondor : The Betrayal and Silverthorn) and R.A. Salvatore back in my D and D years. Didn't like drizzt like everyone else but really liked a series called the cleric quintet.

Loved Terry Brooks as well. Elfstones of Shannara might get my vote for best book sequel ever. The preceding book in the trilogy, Sword of Shannara was great. The Scions series after were okay too.

Currently about the only series I stay current on is Jim Butchers The Dresden Files. Reads quick, stays exciting and has a smart sarcastic protagonist wizard private investigator set in Chicago. Love that series.

Enders Game gets a mention as my favorite sci fi book. Orson Scott Card was crazy, but loved his writing.
    The only book I absolutely hate is Jane Eyre. That book can kiss my ***, I've had to read it for every English class in high school and college for years now. It's not even that good a book and the main character is a complete moron!

More to come later as I think some more but this is a good start.
  2. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Despite being an intelligent, heterosexual male, I actually enjoyed most of Jane Eyre. The story itself might not have been the best but it was good writing.
  3. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

YES!!!! Douglas Adams is a comedy genius as is Terry Pratchett, especially 'Guards Guards' & 'Carpe Jugulum'
  4. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

5. x Zatchmo

x Zatchmo New Member

C'mon dude, leave the big dumb images out of here.

Did anyone ever read Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer? Just Googled it now and apparently there are two more books I have yet to read!
  6. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

I've seen the film? I want my own Marvin (almost as much as I want my own Wheatley)
  7. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

No comparison - even the TV show didn't do the books justice..but yeah, your own Marvin :D
  8. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

<3
  9. Nothing2Nowhere

Nothing2Nowhere New Member

Some personal favorites were The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and when I was a wee little fag, I loved reading Captain Underpants :D
    Also can't go wrong with Harry Pothead.
  10. JuniorBarnes

JuniorBarnes New Member

Just finished "Kick Me" by Paul Feig. He created Freaks & Geeks and is involved with a lot of current Judd Apatow stuff. It's a highly enjoyable, quick read that let me relive those awkward teen years.