Black screen upon loading the game, can still bring up Steam overlay, no coherent ui in task manager

Discussion in 'Support!' started by rgiles, April 9, 2015.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Blegh, ok. Well, back to the drawing board then...
  2. DeathByDenim

@rgiles : So, I looked into the licencing stuff for Coherent and it looks like that only applies when building the applications. Before I assumed PA would sent it to CoherentUI_Host.exe through the command-line parameter, hence the program I wrote to see if that was working properly. So it really sounds like either files got corrupted somehow, but verifying the integrity should have fixed that... And most certainly the use of the UberLauncher instead of Steam should have worked then. So I am at a bit of a loss. Short of dual booting Linux (or reinstalling Windows), I'm not sure what else to try...

Sadly no replies from Coherent yet either. (@mkrater : Would is be possible for you guys to poke them about this? Or do any of the engineers have a clue why the Coherent licencing could fail?)
  3. rgiles

rgiles Member

It could be my laptop, I plan on replacing it in the next few months.
  4. DeathByDenim

I actually did just get a reply from Coherent in their forums today. See here.
    So, what is the version of you CoherentUI64.dll? You should be able to find out by right-clicking on the dll and going to the tab "Details". The dll is located in the bin_x64 directory. It should be 2.5.8.0, I think.

Actually, that gives me an idea. If you search your entire computer for CoherentUI64.dll (and CoherentUI.dll), does it pop up in other locations as well? More specifically, does it appear in any system directories? If Coherent uses an
    outdated CoherentUI.dll, that would cause the licencing issue. Deleting the offending dll would then fix your problem.

Of course a new laptop would most likely work too. :)
  5. rgiles

rgiles Member

Doesn't seem to be any in my system directories but what is weird is that most of the versions are up to date but some of the versions of CoherentUI64.dll and CoherentUI.dll are 1.8.5.0. I think I even saw one that was something like 1.8.4.1 or some other version... Should I replace all of these with the 2.5.8.0 version?
  6. DeathByDenim

Oh yeah. That's likely the cause then. Weird though as Steam of the Uberlauncher should take care of updating that. I guess you have multiple PA installs by now? You may even want to consider getting rid of all of them. Especially the ones that have the 1.8.4.1 version of CoherentUI64.dll.
  7. rgiles

rgiles Member

Well I replaced the old version with the 2.5.8.0 version but I'm still getting the same problem... I even replaced old versions of CoherentUIhost.exe and still nothing. The only other files I saw were CoherenUINet and CoherentUIOld, I didn't change those though. Maybe it has something to do with my internet connection?

This is such a bizarre bug...
  8. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I'll say...

Unless your downoads are often corrupted, it shouldn't be your internet connection. I would suggest just searching your computer for the CoherentUI.dll again (or PA.exe) to find all of the places where PA is installed. Then delete those PA folders entirely and reinstall a single copy somewhere. That would make sure that PA isn't picking up files from strange places and the reinstalling would refresh all your files.
  9. rgiles

rgiles Member

Still not working. I reckon it's just my craptacular laptop. That's what I get for trusting Alienware! Never again...
  10. DeathByDenim

Yeah, this is really weird. Well, I hope you get your new laptop soon...

CoherentLabs asked me to double check the version numbers of the CoherentUI_Host.exe and Coherent64.dll again. Could you right-click those again and choose properties -> details to grab the version number?
    Last edited: October 26, 2015
  11. mikecl

mikecl New Member

Hey rgiles,

My name is Mike and I am with the Coherent Labs Support Team.

DeathByDenim has filled us in on the details about your issue.

Apart from the possible difference between the versions of our files there aren't really any other reasons, that we're aware of, that could cause such a problem on your end.

Please get back to us once you check the version of the CoherentUI_Host.exe file so that we can be sure that this is not the reason.

Regards,
    Mike
  12. rgiles

rgiles Member

Ok so I finally bought a new Laptop and PA:Titans works perfectly on it. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out with my issues though, I really appreciate it guys.
    DeathByDenim likes this.