Beta Build: 55430 / 55493

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 16, 2013.

1. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I'm still confused as to what the Scaling actually does, SXX mentioned that its to do with resolution because PA wont natively run fullscreen? so is this tied to when you run the game fullscreen? I usually play in window mode, not noticed anything in particular that it changes anything, even in fullscreen mode? is it shadow resolution or something?
  2. Ginastic

Ginastic New Member

Does anyone have video/pics of the new visual updates? I only get a blackscreen when I try to play
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

If you're running with antialiasing enabled, disable it. See if that helps
  4. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

have just checked the new patch

The bright half facing the sun is too glassy/shiny (too much I do not like it!), while
    the dark/night area is just too dark, almost full black from distance, u need to zoom in v close.
    snierke likes this.
  5. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

the dark area's get brighter when you zoom in but i think it needs to get brighter at a slightly less zoom level instead of zoomed all the way in at max... apart from that I'm perfectly happy with the bloom/HDR levels and contrasts at the moment
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Well for me, the brightness flickers all the time from light to dark fairly quickly so ive disabled it for now. But I am on AMD so its my problem I'm guessing.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm think Colin explained it's great:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/beta-build-55430.52938/page-3#post-807469

I just want to say that PA don't have "real" fullscreen. It's mean when you toggle fullscreen in options game just remove borders of window.

So scaling it's just replacement for "traditional" resolution changing, only difference is it's only scale renderer output, but not UI.
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The FXAA and HDR shaders currently have some issues on AMD GPUs and MacOS that should be fixed in the next update. It's not something that should prevent them from ever working, just typos that NVidia cards are more tolerant of. For now if you're getting black screens disable HDR and FXAA.

Note: Changing any settings in the options menu while in game will drop you to a black screen for a bit as it rebuilds all of the planets from scratch again which is an annoying bug with the settings menu right now.

Yes, resolution scaling is because we are not planning on supporting traditional fullscreen mode.* Running in "windowed" or "fullscreen" shouldn't make a difference as fullscreen is just borderless windowed mode. The slider for resolution scaling right now isn't terribly informative, but they currently map to this:
    -2 = 50% resolution
    -1 = 75% resolution
    0 = 100% resolution
    1 = 110% resolution
    2 = 150% resolution
    3 = 175% resolution

So if you're running the game fullscreen at 1920x1080 the actual game view will be rendered at:
    -2 = 960x540
    -1 = 1440x810
    0 = 1920x1080
    1 = 2112x1188
    2 = 2880x1650
    3 = 3360x1890

* Many games in the past that do support traditional fullscreen have also supported different display and render resolution. Some of the Unreal Tournament games and some versions of Doom and Doom 2 for example. Also just about every console game made in the last 7 years.
    whisperr, nobrains, Clopse and 2 others like this.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Why would you want to render the game in a resolution higher than you can display? Wouldn't that make performance worse?
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

this is how most windows 8 metro store games function too!
    Are you guys planning on releasing on the windows metro store too ??
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, how long has the AA missile tower been able to take out land units aswell??
  13. prophess

prophess New Member

I played yesterday with hdr and aliasing on, but now i cant start the game:

it fails with no error messages, this is the only i found in the logs.

7080 18:56:33.553677 W | PID: 2200 | 3448 18:56:33.537676 Requesting resource read for coui://ui/mods/ui_mod_list.js with internal id 44 reported FAIL
    7080 18:56:33.553677 W | PID: 2200 | 3448 18:56:33.537676 Requesting resource read for coui://ui/mods/ui_mod_list.js with internal id 45 reported FAIL
    7080 18:56:33.573678 W | PID: 2200 | 3448 18:56:33.573678 Requesting resource read for coui://ui/mods/ui_mod_list.js with internal id 65 reported FAIL
    7080 18:56:33.587679 W | PID: 2200 | 6152 18:56:33.575678 Could not recognize the mime type of coui://ui/alpha/shared/css/font/DIN MEDIUM.TTF
    7080 18:56:33.620681 W | PID: 2200 | 6152 18:56:33.606680 Could not recognize the mime type of coui://ui/alpha/shared/css/font/DIN MEDIUM.TTF
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

My dumb idea: Probably it's good replacement for anti aliasing. :rolleyes:

Obviously yes.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you create new thread about your problem and include your DxDiag.txt there?
    I just think it's will be better than diagnose your problem here.
  16. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

SXX is right about higher resolution being replacement for anti-aliasing.
    running game with slider at 1 2 and 3 makes game sharper and clearer on my monitor.
    i play game at 1280x720, upping resolution in game to +1 has less graphic card impact than turning on AA
  17. Kiborg

Kiborg New Member

I seem to be unable to unpack the latest two versions for Linux, I had no such problems with prior versions. I am running Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit. System language is Slovenian. It informs me that I don't have the permission. I am using archive manager as I always did. I get an error stating: Error while determining owner: Operation not permitted. (translation might be slightly off). Should I file a bug?
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt there any difference in archives.
    Try to unpack it as root and then change chmod to 777:
    Code:
    sudo tar xvjf PA_Linux_55430.tar.bz2
    sudo chmod 777 -R PA
  19. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Mid-type Edit: Apparently Nvidia's Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization affects the game's ability to be borderless. IE, the borders of the game window fail to disappear. I'll leave my original post for good measure so if the same thing happens to someone else, it could possibly fix their issue too.

My current game is not borderless at all when fullscreen, and is giving me some hella weird graphical bugs on the borders. There's nothing wrong with my planets, mind you, they work just fine.

The only things in my Nvidia control panel that aren't off or application controlled is myAntialiasing - Gamma Correction which is set to on. Turning this off doesn't affect PA's borderless issues.

I have Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization which is set to on, but it says only affects DirectX programs.

Settings in-game, and couple of screens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Rendering high and scaling down with subtle blurring is a form of anti-aliasing that is more efficient than some more intense filter based AA. Most renders on TV and movies get done with at least a double size render before scaling down back to pre-crop size, and does so more effectively than using lots of anti-aliasing sample settings.

In a basic sense, you are giving the computer more space to decide which conflicting contrast pixel gets screen time.
    If anything, I find this a more specific setting system than what most games provide.
    The whole 2x, 4x, 8x etc is the same thing, just on a simplified drop down, depending on what kind there is. There is a post on the forum regarding this.
    Last edited: October 18, 2013
    zaphodx likes this.