Backers Only (for now): Localization Testing

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 17, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That would be "Teile und Herrsche"
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

If you want the game translated to Swedish im willing to help with that.

But me myself wouldent use it (I sure hope theres a option to revert it to english if Swedish is added) and i dont think we Swedes need it (since most of our games, movies and such are in english).

Edit: Just noticed that Swedish is in, il help out, but once again i hope its not a forced option.
    Last edited: January 18, 2013
  3. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I hope there will be Polish translation of PA, heh.
  4. baryon

baryon Active Member

Yes, your're right.
    However "Teile und beherrsche Galaxien" somehow doesn't really convince me, because the "teile und herrsche" (= "divide et impera" = "divide and conquer") term is nothing i've ever saw with an object (grammatical object). In german this seems to be more a principle or motto so you don't use it as verbs (even if they technically are), but rather as an object or even subject.
    Because of that i think most german-speaking people won't recognize the translation as a variation of "teile und herrsche" and therefore have problems to understand the meaning. I'm not even sure wheter the average understands the meaning of "divide et impera" at all.

German can be so difficult ...

btw: how about a Latin translation? :p
  5. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

There better be an Ebonics version. Ain't gonna let The Man control my entertainment, you dig?

(Totally not black.)
  6. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Ouch.

You might not wanna translate "Lead The Annihilation" directly into Swedish, translated directly it would be "Led Förintelsen" and "Förintelsen" is the Swedish name for the natzi Holocaust, so translating back and forth you kinda get "Lead The Holocaust"...
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Oh, yah.. let's not do that. :)
  8. baryon

baryon Active Member

I guess this wouldn't be a very good promotion. Aren't there synonyms, which mean the same except without the holocaust background?
    For example in german "Annihilation" could be translated by "Auslöschung" oder "Vernichtung" and while the second term has also a very small relation to the holocaust, the first isn't related it.
  9. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

"Tillintetgörelsen" would work.

I allredy saved it at the site as a option (with a comment in the comments box), i just figured that this was important enough to validate a forum post too.
  10. garat

Reminder about this set of localization - Please check out the loc site if you want, but the ads were primarily about two things: a German translation and also making sure the system worked. Don't sweat the existing strings too much. We'll be nuking the project files soon and replacing with more meaty, interesting strings. I'll be archiving off everything that's been done so far, as it's good for reference.

The main thing that would be really helpful to make sure it's doing things right is a quick pass to vote up the translations in the languages that aren't showing as "complete" that you think are best. Best being defined as "the ones that get the intended concept across best, not the ones that are 100% true to the English versions". It's one of those cases where the spirit of the language is more important than the (literal) letter of it. :)
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think the only context I have ever heard "Teile und Herrsche" in is informatics. So it might not be considered a general use german-term, but rather a specific informatics-related one, I guess.
  12. corhen

corhen Member

PLEASE add Pirate as an option!
  13. daviddes

daviddes New Member

What should I do about Japanese? There is a need to write Planetary Annihilation with Japanese characters, either phonetically or actually translate the meaning into Japanese. My suggestion is to write Planetary Annihilation (プラネタリー・アナイアレーション) out phonetically in Japanese characters. If it remains in English, most will be unable to pronounce/read it.
  14. Kekouse

Kekouse New Member

THIS.
    It will take 0 time to the dev team as the fans will do it, and it can be great fun for us AND for the future players with lines like "All your base are belong to us" etc etc
  15. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I agree.
  16. Moranic

Moranic Member

There is a translation rule for that. Probably the most important one in translation history:
    As strict as possible, as free as necessary.
  17. Moranic

Moranic Member

Actually it's the way most leaders in the medieval times used to run their countries. They divided their lands into smaller pieces, and gave those to trusted men so they could run it. This way, the emperor/king did not have to rule all of it. Made his life a lot easier. Although 'Divide and Conquer' probably comes from 'Divide et Impera', the translation to English is wrong. Looking at the proper context, it should be 'Divide and Rule'.
  18. garat

We were, not entirely joking, talking about pirate, lolcats, pig latin, etc.. There is really no fundamental reason we can't support that sort of thing. :)

But I'd rather wait til we start doing actual game strings, but.. it's on my mind. For things like that, crowd voting on "translations" will be really important so we get a mix of funny and "still understandable".
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Instead of 'Strategic Launch Detected' I want 'Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb'

Mike
  20. elazarger

elazarger New Member

I translated "Command them to Destroy to "Kommandiere sie, Alles zu vernichten" or "Befehlige sie, Alles zu venichten". Because "Vernichten" sounds better to me than "Zerstoeren".