Anyone want some lessons?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drboggles, January 14, 2015.

1. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to start off by saying I'm no (P)BattleBear, but I will say I am above average.

Teamspeak:

thedocslab.typefrag.com:8450

I've been doing a lot of matches in custom games than usual to test out some systems I have been designing. A lot of the custom games I've been playing have been pretty brutal (As I mostly play with clanmates or friends) towards the opposing team. 8/10 times, they don't know what they're doing. 1/10th are usually players who are somewhat average, but need a bit more coaching and training to truly grasp better gameplay.

What really bothered me, was the other 1/10th.
    The Above average players that mostly know what they're doing.

I've seen slurs, backstabbing and general ragequits just because someone was new and trying to figure things out. Especially when I explained to them, "Hey, you're most likely going to lose, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd help me test this map out with my friends and I".

It really pisses me off how this community is with some of the players on here.

If you're not willing to teach a new guy how to play when you know better, then you shouldn't be playing custom games, much less with randoms. (however, randoms that don't want to listen to you when you're patiently giving them instructions is another thing)

Sure, I've met some bitter losers, but that's all of us at one point or another. But don't be committing suicide with other player's commanders because you can't handle a loss in a CUSTOM Game.

I really wanted to give out a hand to all the new people who recently bought the game, or even if you're new. I don't want you to be exposed to all the jackasses on here and think that all the good players on here are all complete *** holes. Especially considering you don't see a lot of good players in Custom games because they're usually playing Ranked.

If you'd really like to learn how to play better, feel free to add me on steam.

Dr Boggles (Or you can look up EternalRemain)

I've been building maps that help new players learn more about Resource management, microing, macroing, position, situational effectiveness of units, and other basic bits of general game play that may be a bit tough to pick up on when you first start playing.

I have a teamspeak server with a 50 slot capacity that everyone who plays PA is welcome to use. I don't care if you invite your friends over, your clanmates, or even your dog.

Hell, I would love to see people on there so we can see randoms start up team games against each other while being able to communicate over VoIP and help each other play better.

We have the potential to have a really awesome community on here. Lets do more to make it happen.
    jonasmod, gator2900, xankar and 2 others like this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

What rank are you?
  3. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Last I checked, 27th Platinum, soon to be back in Uber here later tonight.

As I said, I'm not the best player, but I certainly know how to play concept-wise and I know how to teach players.

One of my clanmates in (P) went from struggling to win custom games to being able to be a challenge for me in a 1v1 over the course of a few days.
    xankar and cptconundrum like this.
  4. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I most of the time try to act nice and help the newbies out. If they're nice and are willing to take some advice I'll add them to my friendslist to practice future games.

I mean I'd love to have some more difficulty when I play 2v2's with a buddy of mine. Those games are still kinda rare and most of the time I rely on people join in from clans. This jus takes time. Thats it. I'll give them a heads up that clans are always willing to help with actually training. I don't do that often.
    xankar and drboggles like this.
  5. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

@drboggles you should hook up with @reptarking and coordinate something. He is hosting training sessions and needs voip space :)
  6. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

7. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

I might be about tonight. Have some work to take care of, but would be good to do some 1v1 practice and improve my game. What a generous thing to do!
  8. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

I'll shoot him a message then. Thanks for the heads up Jonas.
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I'm definitelyinterested in working with you. Hopefully we can get something more official going then what I'm doing now. Most of the top 10 players are really humble and will help people
    drboggles and xankar like this.
  10. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Sweet, thanks Gandalf.

Anyone is more than welcome to help teach as well. That teamspeak is for public use, so If you need a place to chill out and play games on, feel free to.