Anyone else think that Sniper needs a huge nerf?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Randomdog, December 18, 2010.

1. AssassinsGoneWild

AssassinsGoneWild New Member

Or rip off the TF2 Sniper's "charge" meter to eliminate quick scoping, ie, preventing the best long range weapon from being the best close range weapon as well.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with PC games, 1sk hitscan weapons are even more OP with a pinpoint accuracy mouse.
  2. nick

nick New Member

TF2s "charge" mechanic is a poor solution to a problem which doesn't actually exist. It also promotes defensive play. Requiring two head-shots to kill the less mobile classes is a much more reasonable nerf and should be preferable to introducing bad game mechanics.

Furthermore, the sniper isn't one hit kill without a head-shot and the key difference there shouldn't be under-emphasized.
  3. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Maybe they should make the PC Sniper rifle a bolt action rifle, making him have a slightly longer cooldown between shots as he loads the next shell, so that way snipers only take shots they know they can make.

The sniper class is about precision, timing your shots, taking your time. Unfortunately, the MNC sniper is precision + Explosive spam.
  4. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Imagine pre Dlc/title update sniper on the pc:

Fastest natural juicer with zero risk while doing so

Grapple 2 doing more damage than all the other classes grapple 3

Ice traps that still snared pros 3 seconds after they already detonated

(shudder)
  5. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

Exactly. You kids have it so easy nowadays. Why, back when I was a young'n, we didn't have no fancy schmancy Juice Cooldown. It was just you and the other savages fightin in front of the maching.
  6. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I am aware of the difference between PC snipers and console snipers.
    The PC version already has some reductions for the snipers and there's a few more I'm considering.
  7. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

Huh. Well, I'm interested. Now to play the waiting game.......

I'm hungry. I'm gunna go eat some pasta.
  8. scathis

They are already in.

The sniper on the PC has 60% less ammo in the clip and the explosive shot damage radius has been reduced.
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Now lets not all jump to conclusions just yet. These are, for now, PC specific balance changes.
  10. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

Oh, I knew about the clip size. Didn't know about the reduced AoE.

I was talking about any updates you have in store. Will wait until your ideas are pried from the dark box you store in your head and made public.....
  11. Providence

Providence New Member

Only 4 shots per clip is pretty big nerf. PC Sniper has to make every shot count.
  12. scathis

And will remain so.

Xbox and PC are two different games and need to be treated as such. They are similar but the control mechanisms alone make the game play different enough that I need to treat them as two independent games.
  13. scathis

8 if you take Ammo Mule.
  14. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

Wait, so does this mean...... the Support will never gain a keyboard on his wrist? INFINITE SADNESS.
  15. Bungle

Bungle New Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet, but we can just shoot right through our own robots. Which means a sniper only has to set his cursor at head height, then aim into large groups of enemy robots and easily pick out the Pros in the group with headshots without even being able to see them. I tried it for a bit tonight and got headshot after headshot - I didn't even know what I was shooting at.

In my opinion, sniper needs:

-Lower rate of fire
    -Slower aim-down-sight animation
    -Low accuracy while ADS animation is playing to prevent quick scoping
    -ABSOLUTELY should not be able to shoot through friendly robots under any circumstances.

I also think their secondary weapon is a little OP, but whatever. I think the four nerfs I mentioned would bring the sniper back in line with the other classes. And no, you don't nerf sniper by making Assasin stronger. Nice try.
  16. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I am occasionally reminded that snipers are RI-GODDAMNED-DICULOUS on Grenade III arena

1. That little ledge on the respawn walkway that looks out over the whole level. Enemies have no reasonable way to get there except for assassins, but it's such a small area that the sniper can completely defend himself with ice traps.

2. With ice traps covering the intersections and jump-pad landing sites, a sniper (or especially a pair of snipers) can just dominate on the side bridges.

Other complaints:

He's so f**king SKINNY. He's so skinny that the tank's railgun will miss half the time at med-long range even if aimed perfectly. With armor he's just way too hard to kill due to the tiny hotbox.

Ice traps are too hard to see. They bring back bad memories of proximity mines in Goldeneye on a dark cave level!

Explosive shots shouldn't proc on friendly bots. I think this has been said enough already

RoF is too high. Give him his clip size back, but cut that RoF in half. Force him to make his shots count. Maybe increase damage to bots to compensate
  17. scathis

No, it means that any balance changes you see on the PC may or may not be ported over to the Xbox.
  18. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

False information.
  19. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

No it's not, snipers are indeed extremely hard to hit with the railgun.

That probably has more to do with the weapon's innate accuracy though.
  20. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

So you're claiming that an opponent stood still, med-long range (as he claimed), the rail gun will miss 50% of the time. Interesting... They should be stood still to mimic someone that
    Well I really wasn't aware the gun was quite so inaccurate. My apologies, then I feel the gun itself should just be changed so it shoots in straight lines.

Not sure what that would have to do with the topic though. A buff to the railgun is not the same as a nerf to the sniper class. I still disagree with the whole "sniper needs a huge nerf". Certainly needs a nerf though. Fairly hard to tell quite how much of a nerf it needs, considering the inability people have at playing the game. Would be interested to see the arguments of other skilled gamers, fnatic, mouz players and such. I'm sure you can find a million low-skilled players that don't understand game mechanics, who would state that the AWP in CS is extremely over powered. However, those that understand game mechanics and the game itself, would argue otherwise.

Of course DPS and statistics alone can determine a huge factor into game balance but outside of that it becomes hard to judge; thus, my argument that one should wait a while to see how it plays out and fix more important things before hand.