AnnihiLaser™ should caclulate collision

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, August 29, 2014.

?

collateral lasor damage

1. yes

88.3%
  2. no

11.7%
  1. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

I voted "no".
    I think the laser should not shoot, when it would hit any other planet than the target.
    Maybe this more a UI-question than a accident kind of thing...
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am not sure if it should, due to friendly fire. Hilarious friendly fire, but potentially tactically ruining friendly fire that costs you the game.

However, if it did wait to fire until it had line of sight, it would be nice. Also technically makes any planet with identical orbits around a gas giant off-limits to an annihilaser, as the metal planet would never have line of sight.
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

This would be an interesting mechanic, actually.
  4. steambirds

steambirds Member

I wonder if there is a mod that replaces the firing sound with "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR".
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you know the ui could always show a predictive red dots showing future planet alignment and beam angle with red path for if you press the button RIGHT NOW allowing you to aim and obtain exactly what you want.
  6. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I agree, I think the laser is already OP, it should have to wait to get the right shot...you know, just like the Death Star had to wait.
  7. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I think, that since these planets are set up on a 2D plain, this means there will always be an opportunity to set this up. Whether it is worth the wait is up to you.

Imagine how bad it would be if someone shot through and accidentally hit their other planet!! XD

Also, this has no value AS OF NOW, seeing as how the annihilaser gets infinite fires back to back.
  8. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

That just puts more strategic value in the other planet.
  9. tatsujb

like this :
    Screenshot from 2014-09-02 19:43:55.jpg
  10. tatsujb

also what should happen with gaz giants? should we be able to kill gaz giants? maybe three shots?
  11. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Not to mention the hilarious possibility of accidentally killing yourself of an ally when you forget to take the collateral damage into account :D.
    corteks, tatsujb and kjotak109 like this.
  12. tatsujb

if we were to implement my preview idea it shouldn't happen :p
  13. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
    Never underestimate the propensity for the latter :D
  14. icefire909

icefire909 Member

15. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I asume the only reason we have a purely 2D solar system is that everything else would be too confusing for us humans. And it would add an extra dimension to do orbital travel on (more CPU resources). Making the system 3D would only confuse is humans.
    So they are not actually on the same plane and thus that shoot will go under or above that second planet.

Maybe add a AoE damage effect around the "barrel" on the same planet (so it destroys it's northpole defense platforms), but otherwise I would prefer it stays this way and can see why they did it this way (just so much cheaper calculation wise).
    bengeocth likes this.
  16. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

That and maybe poor pathfinding:
    Suicide by Halley
  17. tatsujb

18. tatsujb

wut?
    (yes I moved you here :p )

no seriously what?

you play with annihilaser, gaz giants and kew planets, you've admitted a certain amount of PA's randomness into your game, you can't complain.

as for those who would really care about the points that bad, they're playing single planet anyways.

lastly it's these kinds of things that make the game fun for christ's sake. today I played a game where a guy trying to kill a metal planet's cap had to try three times.

first try he sent the first hallyable planet but it skewed of target and landed along the equator. then he tried with the second and last hallyable planet but it's collision path crossed that of anther planet leaving only a perfect half of a moon. he then recolonised it and sent it a third time finally destroying the cap.

Pax's games are also worthy of mention.
    corteks likes this.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yes, but nobody likes the chance of literally destroying themselves for no controllable reason. That is like adding "gun jamming" to Call of Duty and Battlefield, cars can randomly run out of gas on GTA5, and if teammates could kill each other in TF2 (imagine how difficult it would be to test for spies).
  20. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Holy crap, I think that's the most votes I've seen for a single poll, ever. & most of then are in agreement O_O