An Introduction To Uber's New Director of Production, Focusing on PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 8, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Talked a bit on livestreams on another thread (have to run to meeting so can't dig it up, sorry). Long story short, totally going to do them in the future, but will make sure we have cool stuff to make them worth watching.
    cdrkf, tatsujb and ViolentMind like this.
  2. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Very cool! More livestreams is a great thing! I think that having you on board is just what PA needed! All of Uber's problems can really be traced back to a lack of communication, in my opinion. I understand why that happens (because they get busy making the game, etc.), but obviously when people don't know what is going on, it tends to drive them crazy. Even if things don't turn out like the original promise in the Kickstarter, understanding the challenges that made those things impossible is all that is required for most people to accept them and move on.

For example, it would have been so simple to announce to fans on the PA forums that the HR Kickstarter was going to happen beforehand, and in the same thread, announce general plans for continued support of PA, along with a list of things currently being worked on. No hard dates required. If that was posted, there would not have been so much negative backlash, and HR would have a LOT more supporters. It's unfortunate now though, because you can't take all of those negative posts back. I myself had to strain to keep from posting my dissapointment (glad I did now though).

In any case, it's already clear to me that you are going to make a significant, and sorely needed, addition to the team, and for that reason, I am once again genuinely excited for the future of PA!!!!!

PS - If the HR Kickstarter fails, can we get some $30 DLC packs for some of those features in PA? I'm thinking the 2 additional factions (I don't consider the Bots a new faction, but the Cthulhu and the stretch goal faction), Experimental type units, Planet Swallowing Super Space creatures (we need more ways to end the planet control stalemates), destructible cityscapes, small planet pieces floating around to use for planet smashing ammo (maybe even from the Annihilaser blowing a planet away or just as an already present asteroid field), New Units, New Resource type (cities with humans!), etc. Now that is something that I would throw more money at!!! Also a way to utilize the assets that have already been developed for HR. And with DLC, you don't have to worry about reaching a funding goal to get your money (can you say DLC pre-orders? ;)).
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
    icycalm likes this.
  3. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Awsome thankyou, look farward to it !!!
  4. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

@jables totally agree with ViolentMind. I would totally back a re-kickstarter or just a straight DLC/Expansion to PA that includes all the stuff in HR. Honestly, the PA engine with spherical planets can do pretty much anything in the HR trailer except with offline guaranteed and more players! Why settle with "finishing off" PA when you guys could just go to the community for more money to expand the crap out of it?

Edit** Maybe you could sell "god units" like star citizen is selling starships. You know? Have unique game enders for some people (in terms of the visual effects I mean - not giving them a gameplay advantage or anything). I'm sure many people would pay for everyone to see their super-awesome cthulu death-god gobble up everything, haha. :)
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Welcome (or welcome back) @jables!! Good News for the PA community!
  6. maxcomander

Totally down with the expantion pack idea...

would happily pay 20-30£ for a super unit exp pack...

Also would like to see a proper map editor, and would be happy to pay for it.

would even consider a small subscription fee 2-4£ per month, if it ment Pa could continue development.
  7. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Already you guys are stating your willingness to pay more just to get an extra faction to play with, newsflash people.. TA back in 97 had two factions, SupCom had three, I'm not sure why you're so willing to pay extra for something which should have been delivered at launch.

I also have no idea why you're asking questions that start with "If your current plan fails..."

I'd like to know what's being worked on, I don't even care if it never gets implemented, I'd just like to know what features are the priorities. I design and sell software for a living, it's not enough to just keep quiet on your future development.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

SUPCOM had approximately 5x the budget.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Supcom had twice the budget or so.

Game development is expensive. It was always a known fact that the KS money wouldn't have been enough and pre-orders would have to be relied on. We also know that PA was pretty successful in the pre-order/early access period. All facts point to Planetary Annihilation's budget being ~5 million, little more than half that of SupCom's.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

SupCom had 11.5 million $
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Link?

Which would be the equivalent of ~14 million in 2012.
  12. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Well now they've got a game they can sell they can use the money generated to make it the game it should be :D

Adding an expansion pack just divides the player base in half.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They never said they'd want more factions, they've said they wouldn't be in for a very, very long time.

Besides, it fits the lore too, this is the peak of technological efficiency, why would their be differences in tech when they're all supposed to be the peak? :p
    Planktum likes this.
  14. maxcomander

Not really that interested in another faction, just more units, experimentals and a proper map editor...

The reason I like standalone exp packs is that.

A. Expands an already great game, making it last longer.
    B. If people don't like the expantion they still have the origenal so both sets of people are happy.

Id like to see Pa supported for as long as possible, plus I believe that if pa/human resources do really well this will encorage other dev/publishers to create more rts games. And the whole pc gaming ecosystem will benefit.
    Esp seeing as rts games work best on pc's (by pc I mean personal computer, not just windows pc's).
  15. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

No no no no no no

If you want this stuff then go back the HR kickstarter. HR doesn't appeal to me at all so I don't want to see those things implemented into PA. If the HR kickstarter fails it's not just because of the bad PR from PA but because people aren't so interested in the concept altogether. If the HR kickstarter fails then I would like them to go back to the drawing board and come up with some idea for another RTS.
    aevs likes this.
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

was actually quite a bit more than that :)
    Remy561, squishypon3 and ace63 like this.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

oh wow
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

@jables Welcome, you awesome person!

My spies have reported, that you are the new director of production! :p
    And for that, I have this little question for you.:oops:
    As there was this guy long time back, a human, just like you. :rolleyes:
    He arrived with news of lore being in construction. :)

He stormed in and told us tales of lore Soon™ to be prepared. :eek:
    For his words, across this board he was blessed. ;)
    As there are some who love lore, as they are obsessed. :confused:
    But the lore is still not in sight... we are visually impaired. :(

For that, the question arises. o_O
    Hoping you have the explanation. :cool:
    Ultimately ending this desperation. :mad:
    He I am, waiting for advises. :oops:

Okay, poetry aside... Do you have any additional news on the progress of PA Lore? Matt Kehm said in his thread a while back that more lore would be released Soon™. Nobody seems to say a single word ever since. :(

*gives hug*
  19. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Can we get info on what will be worked on for pa in the future ? Hopefully better path finding, more unique fun units, fixed naval, plz make orbital fun, way way better maps, terrain like in the concept images....
  20. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Incl. FA's cost too?