An idea for new Weapon/Weapon type

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, January 25, 2014.

1. udra

udra New Member

I would like to see more lasers in the game. They look cool and if done right wouldnt produce as much lag as DoT clouds I would think. Hopefully they can put more in without causing too much lag.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

supposedly lasers are causing a lot of the lag at the moment. Just from the server having to send you all the bullet location/vector info.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It'd be interesting to see two types.
    Like, a scatter one that deals damage in an AoE, and a focus one that deals more damage, but to a single target.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There can be a million variants of ANY possible weapon attribute.

What can a damage over time weapon do that a direct damage weapon can not?
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

damage... over time?

sorry, had to do that! :p
  6. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

A nanolathe/nanite weapon doesn't have to do "real" damage-over-time. If the effect time is fast enough, the only difference from an insta-kill weapon is that it looks cooler as you watch them rot away. And we could always use that.

Firing a nano-bomb from the Nuke launcher would be interesting if it still delivered its payload after being shot down, just in a different area.
  7. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Mixing dot and aoe together would help with large groups of attacking units. A nanolathe weapon unit has to stop, apply Its beam and hope for the best, nanite bombs are fire and forget weapons allowing the unit to make another run or retreat to safty. Also my idea is a smart weapon, it knows friend from foe. If your units enter the cloud they are repaired, if enemy units enter they take damage, if wreckage is present it auto reclaims it (when reclaim gets balanced out).
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

BZZZZT! Wrong. The correct answer is "back loaded damage". We would also have accepted "hit&run tactics" or "Warlocks".

As expected, back loaded damage offers more opportunities for an enemy to respond. It could allow for a simple maneuver, such as to leave a toxic area, it could allow a healing subtype to mitigate the losses, or it could allow an attack time to deal heavy damage before dying out. A streaming DoT has much more mild effects than an applied DoT with duration.

Back loaded damage has very low synergy with front loaded damage. So two differing units with these properties would not work well together.
  9. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I would not advocate a streaming DoT, but backloaded damage works great on structures, since they can't move and units attempting to repair them will likely get caught in the blast. In fact, it might be an interesting way to tweak T2 bombers, come to think of it...
  10. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Or, nanites are microsopic robots once a unit enters the cloud, they can go where ever they want they would still have them attached to the affected unit. If I sprayed you with a water hose and then you ran out of the stream, you would still be soaked until you dried out lol ;)