Am I The Only One Who...

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by furlock, February 17, 2013.

1. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Rushing should be a viable strategy-the game shouldn't be restricting what you can do.
    This also means that turtling should also be a viable strategy too, even if some people hate it.
  2. xcupx

xcupx Member

@thepilot

Yep, Econ 101 proved to me something I sort of thought was true but didn't want to admit because I loved rushing T2 mass and turtling like a mofo. But after watching it I just got super excited about building a huge army instead.

@ign

The point is that the commander can, and maybe should, have an AA gun on it. BUT the issue is that it may not end up serving much of a purpose. Especially with the Egg concept brought up by mavor, if you can choose what to drop with your commander when the game starts you can bring along an AA gun that will be better than the one on your commander.

Also, they are saying they are going to have something like 100 commanders, I expect that at least one of them will have an AA gun on it because how else can you come up with 100 commanders? odds are they will have to do that at some point to make it different.

So I'd say that we seem to agree, commander could have an AA gun. The balance of it will be determined by Uber (who I'm sure will do it right) and until then, you will have to adapt your strategy in Supcomm to overcome that lack of equipment. OR even better there is a mod out there which adds AA to the commander.

BOOM http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=6856

and if that doesn't make you happy, think about this, PA is designed from the ground up to be moddable, so if any of the 100 commanders released by Uber doesn't have an AA gun (which I highly doubt) you can mod it and make sure you get what you want! hell, I'll even probably look into it, except that I don't know much about programming. I'm sure we could get a couple people who do to look at it and give us a hand.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You might want to read this thread, in particular the first post.

Mike
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

@xcupx

Well then I guess we will wait then, thank you for not just dismissing it out of hand.

Also, that link for a mod no longer works.
  5. KNight

LD is still active, try sending him a PM and see if he still has it somewhere.

Mike
  6. jg325

jg325 New Member

Simple solution, rush timer option, those who want rushes in the game leave it off, those who don't turn it on, and before anybody whines that it could be a game breaker and it will ruin play, 1. if you don't like one game's setting find another. 2. if it is game breaking because your whole stratagy relies on an early game rush to win, LEARN ANOTHER STRATAGY
  7. igncom1

What is the setting?
  8. KNight

The setting he described earlier in the same post you quoted?

Mike
  9. xcupx

xcupx Member

ah ok, thanks mike, so the second arm could very well be an AA gun on a given commander.

sorry the link didn't work :/ um... I know I saw one on the GPGNet thing before it went down but it looks like it's not on my hdd anymore I'll look around a bit.
  10. igncom1

That doesn't make any sense.
  11. KNight

Okay, I'll lay it out for you;

So just like the No-Rush timer found in SupCom/FA(SupCom2? I forget)

Mike
  12. igncom1

Oh that kind of setting, I thought he was talking about the games 'setting'.
  13. xcupx

xcupx Member

ok, so I can't find it out there, hey mike, you know stuff about modding right? :p

how would one go about modding the game so commanders can shoot air?
  14. KNight

I'm not a code guy, just the Art guy, best place to start is here.

Mike
  15. xcupx

xcupx Member

awesome, thanks!
  16. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

How would a no-rush timer work, anyway? Would it prevent players from moving a certain distance away from your starting point?
    Or would it turn off damage for units/commanders until the timer is up?
  17. KNight

That's how it worked in SupCom/FA.

Mike
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Can't leave your planet?

I'll admit that doesn't work so well when you and your opponent share the same rock.
  19. xcupx

xcupx Member

I'd assume they would be smart enough to check, hm, are people on the same planet, if so the no-rush area is small enough to not interfere, if they aren't then it would be the planet, etc. Not very hard to code for I wouldn't think.
  20. igncom1

I find that no-rush timers do more damage then good.