Alright Uber, What're Ya Doin'

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, September 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Releasing patch notes does not equal communication.

Also, you ignore the fact that the past two threads asking for better communication were both locked.
    ace63 and hahapants like this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This is exactly what I mean by my previous post.

@brianpurkiss - you mentioned hype about the cards/achievements a number of times, but I fail to see where they have done this. Basically it seems you're having a go at them here for something ("three day hyping") they didn't do in the first place:

Last edited: September 30, 2014
    websterx01, Geers and cptconundrum like this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

But isn't this the wrong way to look at it? Instead of saying "Wow, we got a nice new feature that nobody expected! This dev team surely must suck and I hate them!", try just once to get excited about having something now that we didn't have before.

I understand that you are not a fan of Uber or Planetary Annihilation, but you will have trouble accomplishing your goal of destroying the community if you keep being so obvious.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

No one can really say that's Brian's goal. He's done a lot for PA - pamatches, casts, the subreddit etc. Don't confuse dissatisfaction/feeling let down with "trying to destroy the community".
    Planktum likes this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That is not THE definition of the word, but rather your definition, and with that I can see why we are disagreeing on this matter. Hype, especially for gamers tends to fall more along the lines of "to promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, exaggerating its importance or benefits."

Yes, it's great that we got something that we didn't have before, but there were many other things many people would have preferred to have first. I know I'd have taken lots of different things over/before Gas Giants and the Annihilaser.

Mike
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This kind of discussion really goes round and round again and now we are in the phase where people start to attack each other directly. Why don't you guys just directly ask for this topic to be locked?
    PA makes every day feel like those days before christmas many years ago when I wasn't even half as old as I am now. I like that :p
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The evidence does seem to suggest that his goal is not the same as that of the larger community, but I guess I can't really explain why I came to that conclusion without writing some posts that would probably cross the line. I'll just say that he does seem to have started a consistent campaign of complaining about Uber and promoting his own brand that is very damaging to the community - whether he realizes it or not.
    Abaddon1 likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I hope you're kidding, as one of the devs very clearly stated, there's more than one group working on PA, what I mean by this is they are not all working on the same thing. Why is this? Because they don't all know how to. You have a set number of programmers, texture artists, modelers, etc...
    zihuatanejo and cptconundrum like this.
  9. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

They've decided to let the product speak for itself, they've been doing small patching offen since launch and the conclusion as evidenced by communications from uber and this thread they are taking the steam route. offen small bug fix updates with large content updates every few months.

So onto communication, ANY communication at this point, is just a waste of time and effect and amounts to pissing in the wind, at best it makes no difference at worse your get it over your shoes and you wish you hadn't done it.

I believe christmas period will be PA's d-day, holidays, money, time, and if the big content patches are done correctly and more polish added then its all good, most people will forget about past transgressions and enjoy the game. Now i said most, some people will never be happy no matter what uber does, as far as these people are concerned PA is dead to them, nothing short of a time machine so they didnt kickstart PA would make these people happy, even then I'm not sure that would be enough. I've seen comments were i've had to check that these people were talking PA and not another game, because they imagined a different game and PA will always not be the game they imagined.

I personally think its bloody close to the game i imagined it to be.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  10. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

REALLY?, patch notes isn't communication ?

I can get you a screenshot of google if you like.

Personally I would say, a live stream, and append name, advertising change on steam, an update that went on the featured items, a platform with a user base of least 75 million users ref, is the very definition of promotion. and you say i exaggerate, so heres another word for you irony.

But your right, we are going to disagree on this matter.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Right, before the lock of the spiralling death of the thread.

What was the 'hype' about? A patch? A new game? Something else? Skynet finally killed Sorian?
    websterx01 likes this.
  12. brianpurkiss

Did you just seriously accuse me of destroying the community? You can't be serious. I have no words really.

Yeah. I will invest hundreds of dollars (probably over a thousand dollars at this point) and thousands of hours of my time building the largest PA Fan site out there (Exodus is dwarfed by the traffic and size of PA Matches). Not to mention being the most liked and most active member on the community, constantly spending tons and tons of time working my *** off to promote Uber and fix the tons of misconceptions across the internet about PA and generating who knows how many sales from my direct communication with people and indirect communication from PA Matches. All of those playtest recaps I did back in the day. Not to mention all of the work I've done in improving and growing the PA subreddit. I mean seriously, I have almost 2,000 more likes than the second place person on the forums (Garat) – only 14 people on all of the forums have over 2,000 likes. Oh! And all of this is coming completely out of my own pocket as I don't get paid a dime – YouTube doesn't pay much and donations are few and far between.

Yeah. It totally makes sense that I would do this to tank a game.

Just because I never question Uber like the guys over Exodus doesn't mean I am trying to destroy PA.

I say time and time and time again that I love this game and do everything I can to make it succeed. Just because Exodus bullied PACE into disbanding doesn't mean Exodus can bully me into shutting down PA Matches.

Technically by the bare minimum definition of the word, releasing patch notes is communication. But it is by no means sufficient communication. You can't seriously think patch notes is the only thing a company needs to do with it's community.

With the constant attacks on myself and my interest and dedication to the game (cheers Exodus Esports!), I shall leave this conversation because it is completely pointless.

tl;dr – Uber doesn't do a good job of communicating. They lock and ban dissenting opinions. Exodus loves to go out of their way to attack me and my dedication to the game.

Cheers folks.
    cmdandy, Geers, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Planetary Rush
    Oh come on it's just starting to get heated :D
    cptconundrum, Bsport and igncom1 like this.
  14. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, please stop the bickering, we don't need any more drama ...
    Let's stay on topic, shall we ?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Cool you agree it is communication. No your right its not the only thing.

The other thing would be lots of small updates and some big content updates as described in that steam communication video.

Come on!, lets not make this about ee again o_O, I'm just replying to your posts, even if i wasnt part of ee we'd still be having this exact conversation, i cant remove my sig banner for individual posts, but would be a cool feature.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Guys, expect a lock if this doesn't get back on track fast.
    websterx01 and squishypon3 like this.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

:rolleyes:

Brian, I'm not sure why you're incapable of talking to anyone with an eXodus signature as an individual (this is far from the first time you've played this card), but I would note that I'm not aware that I've ever attacked you, but I did make a sizable financial contribution to your site. I'm not quite sure how giving you money is attacking you.

I'd appreciate it if you could stop accusing me of attacking you since -- as I have told you privately on multiple occasions now -- I'm the only person who will generally speak for eXodus.

Either respond to the individual or ignore them, there's no need to keep trying to create some make-believe site war out of someone's views.

Perhaps just the tiniest amount of humility would be good :)
    Abaddon1, elodea, ace63 and 3 others like this.
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've just read through the last 2 pages of this thread and all I can say to it is *sigh* :(

Really guys, calm down. Uber have provided a small update for Steam Chevos- which were in PTE so no big secret and not really related to any hype. I've posted a comment on the KS page as frankly the stuff on there is disrespectful and childish.
    cptconundrum, Quitch and squishypon3 like this.
  19. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

@cptconundrum

Step the HECK off my boy Brain. 2500 likes?! hahahahaha That's some weak *** ****! My man Brain is UNTOUCHABLE and your goofy fan site is a JOKE
    Bsport and cptconundrum like this.
  20. brianpurkiss

Y'all are representatives of an organization. Can't really separate the two. And when people from your organization constantly attack me and go as far as to say that I'm trying to destroy PA... Come on. It's just ridiculous.

I also do have plenty of conversations with Exodus members about this that and the other. So don't exaggerate things saying I'm to blame in that I can't ever talk to an Exodus member without starting something. That very statement is trying to twist all of this onto it being my fault for instigating everything, and not, say, cptconundrum saying I'm trying to get PA to fail.

Just because you are the only person to "officially" speak for the organization doesn't mean you're the only one who speaks for the organization. Technically Mavor is the only one who can "officially" speak for something about PA, but that doesn't mean that Brad saying something isn't something from Uber.

Again, people in your organization say things, it reflects on your organization even if they are speaking as individuals. Can't really separate individuals from the organization.

I'm not trying to create a war. How many times have I messaged y'all and reached out to y'all trying to smooth things over? And then someone from your organization will attack me again.

I'm talking about the like count. It's pure numbers.

--

I said I was done of this thread, but I couldn't let that one just hang out there.

I'm tired of drama. I'm tired of the potshots and attacks Exodus members take at me. I'm just tired. Exodus, message me if there's anything further you have to say about me.

Adios ppl.
    cmdandy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.