Alpha's particle effect workshop

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Alpha2546, March 29, 2015.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Does this mod affect the Ant's projectile too? I'm using @dom314 "[WIP] More Pew Pew" mod so I don't want these mods to conflict with each other. I like the lights on the sides of the Ant so I want to use this mod, however just wondering about the projectile FX.

Looks like we've got some healthy competition in the modding department! @dom314 @Alpha2546
  2. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

It does actually but don't know how pamm handles it. I think @dom314 will put em in his mod too (or in some other way I dunno) so you'll probably get the best of both worlds.

Just download mine :p you know you want to hahahahha. If you download now you get an extra download for free!
    Planktum likes this.
  3. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I would say, a modding federation is much more appropriate than 'competition'.
    MrTBSC, stuart98 and Alpha2546 like this.
  4. Planktum

There's nothing wrong with healthy competition :)
    MrTBSC and Alpha2546 like this.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

@Alpha2546 @dom314 so what happened to the levelers rings? did you decide against including them?
  6. Alpha2546

Haven't been working on that yet. I'll let you know whenever I have something proper looking :) .
    MrTBSC likes this.
  7. Planktum

Please don't add the rings!
    Alpha2546 and ace63 like this.
  8. MrTBSC

... but but ... :(
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

I'll see how I do this. I might make a seperate with magnetic rings type thingy mod. We'll find out in time.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

while i would appreciate it don´t stress yourself
    Alpha2546 and Planktum like this.
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Alpha, I've been testing to see if your CPlosion and XPlosion mods are compatible with mine. It all seems to work without me making any changes. Could you maybe check to make sure it is actually working as expected? I don't really know what all the explosion effects are supposed to look like.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I think it'd be better if the ant proj fx was about 20% bigger. :)
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  13. Alpha2546

I'll look this up tomorrow. They should be working properly indeed since they mostly alter the default pfx files.

Good call Stuart getting a proper sized projectile for the ant was pretty hard. So I made em kinda small to not overdo it. I too think it can have a bit of a size increase. I'll definitely try it out. Thanks
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

This is the best custom effect I've seen. More like this plz <3 The lights on the sides are a bit weirdly fancy for me, but gameplay wise is nice to have extra emphasis to show that the unit is firing. If you were to do a set of effects like these, I'd say no more % of the other robots lighting up like that when it fires... you know what I mean.

EDIT: Also I think the projectile size is perfect, bigger would be stupid >.> (and is why I'm not using other projectile mods, too big and colourful).
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  15. MrTBSC

hy, one thing i like to ask is if you could add the t1 tank effect to the narwal or a similar effect

also how are things going ? you have been quite quiet lately ..
  16. Alpha2546

All food @MrTBSC in on holiday at the moment in Zwitserland. Cya next week!
  17. MrTBSC

have fun ! :)
  18. Alpha2546

Got back home yesterday.

So checked out the new build and it looks quite nice.
    I already fiddled in PTE with the flares of the sun since it looked pretty static. They look more dynamic and also I added some sparkles (I love dem sparkles). Stole some of kiwi's code for it and mostly got the sparkle idea because of his solar flare mod. So thanks kiwi!

Sunshine.jpg

Putting it on PAMM as we speak.

Got some other space ideas like putting in nebula's. We'll see how that goes! :D

[​IMG]
    I'll see what I can do. I'll keep you updated.
    Nicb1 and MrTBSC like this.
  19. Alpha2546

Kay so I got the tank effect on the narwhal and changed the explosion effect too.

I dunno about it. I find it looking kinda bland or boring. For the tank its ok but I think something a bit more exciting for the narwhal would be better? Any ideas?

Also I've been playing around with smoke in particle effects. I've put it on the narwhal and I think it gets the job done pretty well.

Two huge drawbacks that kinda hold me back actually using it ingame.
    1. This sort of smoke effect is particle intensive. So people with bad GPU's will be hurting on frames.(though im still amazed how efficient the particle rendering is.)
    2. The drifting kinda works in the video but the drift is based on what angle the shot is fired (I think?).
    Still wanted to show it cause it kinda looks cool :p .
  20. MrTBSC

honestly first video looks good to me ..
    but if you want to go with trails like in the second then i suggest to reduce the livetime of them significantly so you don´t have many lasting effects being stockpiled as well as shorten their legth to a half ...

additionaly maybe add a smoke and small shock effect to the turret

hmmm ... does shortening the lifetime of particles help being less of a stress to the gpu?
    Last edited: August 11, 2015